Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #91
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
I will be SHOCKED if nikki doesn't win this.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #92
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I have no idea why they are keeping Rodney around. Nikki is still 10 times better than him on her off day. He certainly has a personality but he mumbles a lot and is so hard to understand, that would not be a show I want to watch. And his food hasn't been the best tasting or executed with any type of consistency, it boggles the mind why he didn't get the axe.

I disagree with their choice this week.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #93
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Ditto. Pie guy must go!
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #94
justen_m

Nikki had one bad week. Pie guy has had one good week long ago. He should have gone. Both made pretty pathetic dishes. Pie guy's was more poor execution, while Nikki's was more bad concept (a huge plate of non-pilaf rice with a tiny piece of salmon? Too much of a departure for this 60/70's steak house/supper club).

Let's look at who, realistically, might have/had a chance at a show on FN or Cooking Channel. Stacey (silky smooth, perfect delivery), Nikki (best concept) absolutely. Damaris, sure. She reminds me a bit of Melissa d'Arabian. Russel? Maybe, with lots of polishing of his on-screen persona. Pie Guy? I don't see it, but Sandwich King Jeff Mauro has a show, so who knows.

I liked last night's episode. As soon as they walked into the restaurant for the elimination challenge, I shuddered and thought, "total 70's supper club vibe." This was only re-enforced with the five plates that were brought out. Looks like the dishes haven't changed in 40 years. The vegetables for each dish consisted of pathetic afterthoughts. And boxed potatoes? Seriously? Your business has been declining? Yeah, all your patrons are dying and your dishes are older than the younger crowd you need to attract.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #95
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Stacey might have a smooth delivery but as time goes on I really dislike watching her - it does seem fake. I'd watch something Nikki or Demaris put out, they have a more natural likable quality.

I'm tired of hearing about Russell and his sins.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #96
sharkster

What in the hell do they see in Pie Guy?? Seriously, and they said that they were taking into account everything from each of them from the whole competition - and they pick Nikki?

Russell's whole 'sin' thing doesn't even make sense to me, in terms of an entire POV for a show. Nothing he cooks makes that bridge. But at least he has a presence and articulacy that is watchable. Pie Guy has none of that, IMO.

Even Demaris is really doing a lot better. I don't find her nearly as annoying as I did in the beginning. Stacey does push the giant, non-moving, smile too much. That's a shame, as I like people who are polished and articulate. I think Nikki should still be a contender, particularly above pie dude. We'll probably see her on the Cooking Channel.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #97
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Seriously, and they said that they were taking into account everything from each of them from the whole competition - and they pick Nikki?
I wonder the same thing. Has Rodney even won a week? I know Nikki has. Are we even watching the same show?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #98
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I think Nikki should still be a contender, particularly above pie dude. We'll probably see her on the Cooking Channel.
Agreed. She might end up like Kelsey Nixon, top four finisher in season four, who's on the Cooking Channel. http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/chefs/kelsey-nixon.html
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #99
bryhamm
randomize

I think her blowing the pilaf thing was HUGE in the judges minds.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #100
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Agreed. She might end up like Kelsey Nixon, top four finisher in season four, who's on the Cooking Channel. http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/chefs/kelsey-nixon.html
While I recall finding Kelsey mildly annoying, during her season of NFNS, I actually find that she does a very good job on her show on the CC and have been watching it since it began. She was a pleasant surprise to me.

While I am a very experienced cook, and I still enjoy her show, I also think her show would be a great teaching tool for new cooks.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #101
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
I wonder the same thing. Has Rodney even won a week? I know Nikki has. Are we even watching the same show?
If he has even won a single week, it must not have been that spectacular because I have no recollection of it. Even before he opens his mouth I don't find anything watchable about him. But once he does open his mouth I am certain that I'm not the least bit interested. He doesn't speak well, he goes off on tangents where he's a legend in his own mind, and he has pigeonholed himself into an area that just wouldn't really make a show.

As much as I thought Jeff Mauro's sandwich shtick was too specific, at least I find him pleasant to watch. He can be entertaining and still do a good cooking show, for what it is. I don't think pie dude has that quality AT ALL.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #102
NJChris
Moogs!

Does winning even matter? Why doesn't the guy from last season have a show????
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #103
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I think Guy Fieri is probably the most successful winner and even his original show didn't do well.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #104
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post
The prize these days is a Pilot. In other words, no real promise of a show.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #105
secondclaw

Ugh - had they not said they are evaluating entire history, dismissing Nikky may have made sense, but this doesn't. Things like pilaf (I didn't know either what it meant) are facts, easy to learn, but natural camera presence is not. I think at this point I like Demaris to win - she seems to be the most fun, though I liked Nikky's POV the best (it's close to my own style of cooking). And yea - the pie man needs to go.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #106
bigpuma

Quote:
He did have one episode of a new show but I guess it didn't stick. I think you only get a pilot and if they don't think it will get ratings it gets pulled.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #107
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
I think her blowing the pilaf thing was HUGE in the judges minds.
agreed - i think they were offended by that. still, very shocking that they cut her.

I will not watch anything Rodneys does if he wins - purely on principle. I demand cooking hosts who can actually cook.
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #108
danielhart
Finnhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuma View Post
He did have one episode of a new show but I guess it didn't stick. I think you only get a pilot and if they don't think it will get ratings it gets pulled.
i could never get past his yellow teeth
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #109
JoBeth66
Temp

I still don't get his whole "pie style" concept. Wrapping everything in undercooked, over-floured dough is not a "style". His food has been among the worst in just about every episode (including ones where he actually MADE pie), his concept is terrible, his delivery is terrible, you can't understand 75% of what he says, and the other 25% is just enough to make you roll your eyes.

I wouldn't watch him, ever.

I'm shocked that they cut Nikki instead of him. I think it's really between Damaris & Stacey, and I think Damaris probably gets it because Stacey is too plastic-y.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #110
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
i could never get past his yellow teeth
and the pale skin and red lips. He is just one creepy dude IMO and I haven't had any desire to watch any shows they dump him into.
Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #111
nickels
opinionated dope

Quote:
I watched an episode of something on FN with him in it. There was a close-up of him licking something all weird. It was disgusting and he was very uncomfortable on camera:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/rebel-eats/index.html

As for Nikki - shocked!
I really didn't like Stacey "Poon" when this show ended. She smiled every time Nikki had problems. Her face dropped when Nikki did well. I find Stacey's personality repulsive. She should think back to when she was flubbing and who helped her out. I'm beginning to think there is no star this year. Someone will win, but there are true stars in that group.

BTW - Stacey has already shown her true colors by appearing on Restaurant Impossible. Hard to respect or take advice from someone who failed.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #112
dthmj
Hinky

I don't mind pie guy.

But I'm rooting for Damarius.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:18 AM   #113
magaggie
Limabean Fransisco

I was talking to Demandred about the Jeff Mauro thing. I think sandwiches are a more viable concept because they're more versatile. There are only so many things you can make "pie style." Pot pies, hand pies, quiche, standard pie, that beef wrapped in puff pastry thing from Hell's Kitchen.

Salmon and rice pilaf pie? Not so much.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #114
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaggie View Post
I was talking to Demandred about the Jeff Mauro thing. I think sandwiches are a more viable concept because they're more versatile. There are only so many things you can make "pie style." Pot pies, hand pies, quiche, standard pie, that beef wrapped in puff pastry thing from Hell's Kitchen.

Salmon and rice pilaf pie? Not so much.

You mean Beef Wellington?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #115
magaggie
Limabean Fransisco

Yeah, that's it, the words wouldn't come to me!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #116
nickels
opinionated dope

The conspiracy theorists out there think that the fix is in for Stacey.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #117
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
The conspiracy theorists out there think that the fix is in for Stacey.
That's a shame. I would not watch anything she was on.

I was interested that in this episode with Robert she said that he came to her restaurant and 'rescued her'. I watch a lot of the Restaurant Impossible episodes but don't remember hers. I really wish Nikki was still in it. Russell and her had the two POV's that were most interesting to be developed into a regular show. I eat a LOT of meals where meat really is just a sort of side dish.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #118
crowfan
The Dude abides

We were shocked and upset to see Nikki go. She could have won the whole thing, and I just don't think pie guy and the "food sin" guy are very good. Damaris is ok.

Stacey's episode of Restaurant Impossible is S02E10, "The Trails." It's available on Amazon Prime Instant for free, if you have Prime.

crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #119
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I remember Stacey's episode of Restaurant Impossible. I recognized her right away. I was wondering if she'd ever mention that Robert bailed her out. I'm glad she finally did.

Hot4Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #120
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan View Post

Stacey's episode of Restaurant Impossible is S02E10, "The Trails." It's available on Amazon Prime Instant for free, if you have Prime.
Thanks for the episode info! I was cruising around the guide trying to find the episode the other day. I have Prime, so now I will check it out.