TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Smash "The Nominations/The Tonys" (5/26/13, Spoilers)

First, a note: these "two" episodes were aired as a two-hour block, with no separation between them. The second part actually started at :55. Hence, one thread.

Interesting goof from the props people: when Karen handed Jimmy the ticket, it clearly read "Manhattan Theater Workshop." Either the props people forgot that the show had moved to Broadway, or they had that ticket as an earlier prop and just didn't care to try and make up a Telecharge ticket prop.

Thankfully, this show is over, so that we never have to hear Anjelica Houston "sing" ever again. Wow. I swear, I heard the classic "screech/crash" sound effect when she sang her line on "Under Pressure." Everyone else was really good on it, especially Christian Borle, whom we heard much too little singing from over the run of the show.

Thankfully, the show didn't end how I (and others, I'd expect) thought it would, with a cliffhanger over who won the Tony. I'll give the show credit, they did at least try for a conclusion as best as they could.

Unfortunately, that's all the credit I can give to the show. With that last hour, the show took an unbearable turn towards the self-aware, breaking the fourth wall completely with Tom doing his best sitcom-my look into the camera and react after kissing that Tony committee member (which, in and of itself was eye-rolling). Then, that whole last number, especially the "Where are we going?" "Show's over" bit? BLECH. It was already an bad song before that, that just made it completely awful.

After seeing how well another show recently reproduced a major awards show, it made this supposed "Tony Awards" look even more embarrassingly fake. The staging of the sectionals on "Glee" look more elaborate. That was a dinky little stage. Plus, it ignored the fact that the nominee performances usually do a fairly close staging to how they are performed in the show, including set pieces and such. It would be completely unrealistic for a last minute change like they did.

Oh, well, like Ivy said, "Show's over." I should be thankful they figured out a way to conclude it rather than leave it hanging. I just wish that they didn't conclude it on such a disappointing note.

Last edited by LoadStar : 05-27-2013 at 12:22 AM.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
SNJpage1

I guess they had to write this to tie up all the loose ends since the show has been canceled. I do have to say in the shows defense. The Hit List part of the award show was suppose to be just the lead singer doing a solo after the rest of the cast refused to perform with her. Since there really wasn't going to be a special props for her, replacing her with the cast from the show doing a number they had already been rehearsing wouldn't have been that hard to do. I am sorry the show got cancelled but the writing the second season just wasn't as good as the first. I had actually stopped watching for a few weeks and then tried watching just the last few shows.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Oh, and I still don't buy that Ivy was in Liasons long enough for it to open, let alone net a Tony nom for the role. In reality (yes, I know, "what's that?") the show would only have been in previews during the time Ivy came and went.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Cainebj

Yeah.

It was all dumb - but I still liked it.

I didn't care for the Ivy gets fired Derek blackmail plot much that all was the most unbelievable story line.

I am pretty sure Liasons opened.

Did they just completely skip over the Best Actor in a Musical category?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Yeah.

It was all dumb - but I still liked it.

I didn't care for the Ivy gets fired Derek blackmail plot much that all was the most unbelievable story line.

Did they just completely skip over the Best Actor in a Musical category?
I don't think Jimmy was nominated, so it didn't matter to the show.

What happened with Best Director? Did I miss something? I didn't look like Derek or Tom had a 2nd Tony.
TriBruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Obviously it did, in storyline, or Ivy wouldn't have been nominated. I'm just saying that based on how it was depicted on the show, there's no way that the show would have opened in real life, let alone long enough for Ivy to come and go from the show. The kind of stuff that happened to Liasons on the show is exactly the reason previews exist in the first place.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Interesting interview with Josh Safran: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/26/sm...r-josh-safran/

It sounds like Jennifer Hudson was supposed to be a much bigger part of the season, but got scheduled out of the show. I sort of got that feeling, I suppose; I didn't get why they bothered with Ronnie (Hudson's character) when it didn't end up connecting with either Bombshell or Hit List, at least that I can recall. According to the interview, she was supposed to be the one that would have taken Ana's role in Hit List, and there wouldn't have been the blackmail angle.

I'm also rather glad the show was canceled, because I don't think that Safran's idea for season three would have worked at all, or been one I would have wanted to watch.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #8
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
What happened with Best Director? Did I miss something? I didn't look like Derek or Tom had a 2nd Tony.
You didn't miss anything - they never mentioned it either during or after the Tonys. It's possible that they did have a scene that was cut for time; according to one report, the episode had something like 15 minutes cut from it in order to fit.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Jayjoans

Now Anjelica can go back to RuPaul's Drag Race and totally dominate. She even "sings" like a man.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
Now Anjelica can go back to RuPaul's Drag Race and totally dominate. She even "sings" like a man.
You seem unusually (more than anyone else here) bothered by Anjelica Houston's appearance.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
You didn't miss anything - they never mentioned it either during or after the Tonys. It's possible that they did have a scene that was cut for time; according to one report, the episode had something like 15 minutes cut from it in order to fit.
That seems a little strange when all Tom could talk about for weeks.

I guess everyone (except Karen) ended up with a Tony so they were all happy.

I felt it was a decent wrap up for the show. The show was never great and occasionally bombed, but I enjoyed it enough to stick it out.
TriBruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Oh, and I still don't buy that Ivy was in Liasons long enough for it to open, let alone net a Tony nom for the role. In reality (yes, I know, "what's that?") the show would only have been in previews during the time Ivy came and went.
Yeah. No kidding.

But the show is over. I liked that they mixed up awards between Hit List and Bombshell. For a while, they really seemed to make it look like Hit List would run away with all the awards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I liked that they mixed up awards between Hit List and Bombshell. For a while, they really seemed to make it look like Hit List would run away with all the awards.
That's the idea. Drama!

I only had two real problems with the finale:

1) "Under Pressure"... gawd that was awful. I couldn't understand people because they weren't near the mike or they were screeeeeeching, or both.

2) Ivy's mother not "getting the clue" that Ivy was pregnant. "Taking time off... how silly, why would you do THAT?" Serious roll-eyes!

I thought they did a good job of bringing the major cast he-said-she-said cacophony to a peak at the minor awards presentation, then unwinding it by the end of the two episodes. Though it wasn't believable, at least it was logical. And I can forgive any fourth-wall nonsense in the last episode: they knew it was curtains for them, so they made it entertaining. Why ELSE would they have a big "SMASH" light-up sign in the last number???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
gamndbndr

I finally gave up on this show when it was revealed that seasoned professional Tom sent the bottle of wine to a nominating committee judge, and was shocked that it could be considered a conflict!
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #15
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

From another thread:

NBC's Smash... a show so inept, it can't even spell its famous cast's names correctly.

scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
I don't think Jimmy was nominated, so it didn't matter to the show.

It didn't matter if Tom won, he just needed to be nominated in order to have a future as a director.

And his show won, which is almost as good.

I enjoyed this show - even with all it's flaws - and I will be sorry to see it go.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
VC25a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post
From another thread:

NBC's Smash... a show so inept, it can't even spell its famous cast's names correctly.

How would you spell Angelica Huston?
VC25a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC25a View Post
She spells her name with a "j"

Anjelica Huston.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC25a View Post
Of more concern is how she spells it, which is Anjelica.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #20
VC25a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Of more concern is how she spells it, which is Anjelica.
Zoom. Thx
VC25a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguy72 View Post
From another thread:

Maybe she is distancing herself by claiming it is her evil (mannish) twin?
Old 05-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

The error was apparently only on the digital print, not the broadcast print, and is being corrected. Why they're bothering to correct it, I don't know, other than perhaps it may be pertinent to SAG rules regarding credits.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/05/28/sm...on-name-wrong/
Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
stellie93

I know nothing about Broadway and could care less. I thought the show was good overall and enjoyed the music. Sorry to see it go.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #24
Jayjoans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Maybe she is distancing herself by claiming it is her evil (mannish) twin?
What's your problem Tony? You seem to always mention Anjelica is so mannish... You and that other poster must have some weird issues.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #25
Cainebj

Quote:
What's your problem Tony? You seem to always mention Anjelica is so mannish... You and that other poster must have some weird issues.
+1
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
TonyD79

Quote:

Funny.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
The error was apparently only on the digital print, not the broadcast print, and is being corrected. Why they're bothering to correct it, I don't know, other than perhaps it may be pertinent to SAG rules regarding credits.
It's probably just so people who watch the digital version in the future don't keep pointing out the mistake.

Did anybody ever correct Kristen Schaal's name in the credits of The Simpsons when she was credited as "Kristen Schall"? (They even referenced the mistake in a blackboard quote of a later episode.)

On the other hand, when the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Rules of Acquisition" first aired, they left the C out of "acquisition" the first time it aired, but all subsequent airings have the corrected spelling.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
that last hour, the show took an unbearable turn towards the self-aware, breaking the fourth wall completely with Tom doing his best sitcom-my look into the camera and react after kissing that Tony committee member (which, in and of itself was eye-rolling).
I thought Tom was looking at Julia off camera after the kiss.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 AM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
I thought Tom was looking at Julia off camera after the kiss.
Possible, but I thought she was in another part of the theater. Without a reaction shot from her, it just came across like a very "oh, that wacky Tom!" sitcom type of a shot to me.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #30
jradosh
Newlywed

Quote:
Possible, but I thought she was in another part of the theater. Without a reaction shot from her, it just came across like a very "oh, that wacky Tom!" sitcom type of a shot to me.
That's how they intended it clearly. I enjoyed the break from the 'reality' and think that maybe they should have done the whole show with the broken 4th wall.

Check out
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote