TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > Forum Operations Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Viglink links in private messages? Come on!

I got a private message from another user who referred to Xbox Live.

I was surprised that it was linked to an Amazon page of Xbox Live content. Then I noticed the pop-up where it said that the link was added by Viglink.

Is it really necessary to modify the contents of our private messages and insert advertising links in them? That seems really, really tacky to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
eddyj

As the "victim" of this, I did not appreciate it at all. I understand why stuff like this happens with public posts (whether I approve or not). But in a PM? Definitely tacky, to say the least.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

Hasn't this been on forever? I don't know that the plugin is smart enough to distinguish the source. In any event, I haven't seen these on any site since clicking on their opt out.
Mike Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Previously reported here by me: "VigLink" is molesting our posts

And my opinion on "opting out" stands.

It's not that I don't want to see VigiLink links; I can easily block the scripts in my browser.

It's that I don't want the posts that I make, to be edited to include links that I didn't put there myself. That's poor form. It's misleading and scummy.

I put links in my posts myself when they are helpful to the reader, links to referenced software, how-to's, etc. I don't need (nor want) any automatic software editing the content I create, by adding in spammy links for others to see, thinking I put them there myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 05-08-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
Hasn't this been on forever? I don't know that the plugin is smart enough to distinguish the source. In any event, I haven't seen these on any site since clicking on their opt out.
Regardless, we were told by Peter Redmer that VigiLink molestation should only be active for visitors (ie: "guests.") (Mention of it being "fixed" here.)

Seems that's not the case, if registered users are seeing it in Private Messages too.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Peter Redmer
Administrator

Hi everybody,

I think Mike is on to something in that VigLink must not be discriminating by source, but it still shouldn't be showing up in PM's. It should only be invoked if the user is a guest and this is not desired behavior.

I made one small change to how the code is implemented on the site that may help. Take a look at that PM again and see if it's showing up. Could you also forward that PM to me? (If it's showing up for you, I should be able to see it also, and it might help to troubleshoot)

I just tested the regular operation of Viglink several times and it seems to be continuing to work properly on the forums (showing up only for guests)

Pete
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've just checked my PMs and I no longer see Viglink links in the bodies.

I'll double check with the sender of the PM to see whether it's okay to forward the PM. It should be alright, but I want to ask first.

I'll note that PMs that I sent to the sender didn't have Viglink links, just the ones that I received from the sender.

Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Peter Redmer
Administrator

Understood. They are private, of course!

The fact that you are no longer seeing links in the body is a good sign that the change I made may have had an effect.

Pete
Old 05-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thank you, Peter.

I'd prefer that Vigilink not molest our posts for anyone (even guests) as it all feels a bit scummy and spammy to me. If that's simply not a reasonable option to consider, then I do at least appreciate that you keep it out of PMs and out of the view of registered guests.

I appreciate your attention and hard work here. You're the best admin TCF has ever had

Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Redmer View Post
Understood. They are private, of course!

The fact that you are no longer seeing links in the body is a good sign that the change I made may have had an effect.

Pete
I can try to resend the same message to Marc again, and see what happens. Will do now.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I can try to resend the same message to Marc again, and see what happens. Will do now.
No links this time. Looks like whatever you did worked. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
SueAnn
Minion

Peter rocks !
SueAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Report it?