TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

a scene like that doesn't have to be in an episode to establish that Finn died. He can just be dead and there can be references to it. But no need for us to see/watch characters find out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #32
TonyD79

I'll bet they kill him off but in an accident on a trip or something. Maybe returning to Lima from visiting Rachel in New York. I can't see them making him die from an overdose on screen. Doesn't fit the show. Doesn't fit the character.

They can still do a PSA at the end. For addiction/depression.

I just can't see them saying he is in California or something. They will want to acknowledge his death on screen somehow.

As for Lea. She will act through it. Acting is not faking it. She can use her pain (a standard practice) but she will act through it. It probably will be cathartic.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #33
danterner
Not it!

The closest current example that comes to mind, though it doesn't deal with death, is Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter, on Dexter. They met on the series, got married, and divorced. Meanwhile, the series goes on. On the show they play brother and sister but have been dealing with some complex emotional relationship stuff. It's hard to watch it without wondering how uncomfortable it must be for them as actors.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #34
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
How did they handle when Corey was in rehab? I can't recall the story line they used. or if they had one to explain it.
I'm a bit hazy as well, but I don't believe they mentioned it. They seemed to completely ignore the fact that he wasn't on, much like the other mysteriously absent characters through the run of the show.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #35
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

I'm a bit hazy as well, but I don't believe they mentioned it. They seemed to completely ignore the fact that he wasn't on, much like the other mysteriously absent characters through the run of the show.
They don't need to have a roll call every week. They have a big cast. They just don't tell a story involving them. They only have to explain it when they have to be there. Like during regionals, etc.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

What I'd like to see is them going back to the idea of a spinoff focused on NY. Advance time by a few years to have Rachel graduated from NYADA and be a struggling new actress in the New York Broadway scene. That would give them an out, to just have Finn be someone from Rachel's past.

The only problem is a spinoff focusing on Rachel would be oddly similar to a recently canceled NBC show. Also, I don't think anyone is interested in doing a spinoff anymore.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #37
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I'll bet they kill him off but in an accident on a trip or something. Maybe returning to Lima from visiting Rachel in New York. I can't see them making him die from an overdose on screen.
Maybe they could say he was lynched by a mob of independent artists who got fed up with how they were treated by the producers of his show.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Per an article on RumorFix (which is what my local paper linked to)...

Production starts on July 29th. Rumored to already have 3-4 episodes written... Production offices were open today after a summer hiatus.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #39
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude View Post

Production starts on July 29th. Rumored to already have 3-4 episodes written... Production offices were open today after a summer hiatus.
MASSIVE re-writes underway I bet..
Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #40
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post

MASSIVE re-writes underway I bet..
Depends on how much they used Finn. Of course, they probably have an entire episode around him at some time early on but if he does not have a pivotal role to play in the first eps, writing him out is not that hard
Old 07-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #41
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude View Post

Deadline:Hollywood reports 2 episodes written, both of which were drafted prior to summer, and both were to have dealt with the return of Finn. Production was originally supposed to have started next week.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/fox-...onteith-death/
Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #42
aindik

John Spencer died in the middle of I think it was the final season of the West Wing. They wrote it into the show, a bunch of actors who had left th show came back for Leo's funeral, etc. They wrote it in.

I'll be interested to read how they handle this, but we bailed on Glee before last season started so I probably won't be watching.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #43
GoPackGo

Phil Hartman's murder was written into News Radio as a heart attack.

I don't see how Lea Michelle can possibly keep doing the show. I wouldn't be able to.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #44
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Bravo announced Monday that it will re-air the Glee cast's episode of Inside the Actors Studio. A special broadcast of his appearance, hosted by James Lipton, will air on Thursdayat 6/5c. A re-airing of the original episode will then play the next day, on Friday at 7/6c. Not on guide data yet.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #45
Cainebj

i found this an interesting read

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...cory-monteith/

talks about other actor deaths on tv shows

-Freddie Prinze died from a self-inflicted gunshot during the third season of the sitcom “Chico and the Man" in 1977, the producers considered cancelling the series but ultimately forged ahead by stating that Prinze’s character was on vacation in Mexico to finish out the season.

-Phil Hartman was killed by his wife in a murder/suicide in 1998, ‘Newsradio’ wrote out his character Bill McNeal with a sudden heart attack

-John Ritter early in the second season of his sitcom “8 Simple Rules.” The show also had his character die unexpectedly

-Cheers’ actor Nicholas Colasanto, who died of a heart attack in 1985. “The show acknowledged the death of his character Coach
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #46
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
i found this an interesting read

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...cory-monteith/

talks about other actor deaths on tv shows

-Freddie Prinze died from a self-inflicted gunshot during the third season of the sitcom “Chico and the Man" in 1977, the producers considered cancelling the series but ultimately forged ahead by stating that Prinze’s character was on vacation in Mexico to finish out the season.

-Phil Hartman was killed by his wife in a murder/suicide in 1998, ‘Newsradio’ wrote out his character Bill McNeal with a sudden heart attack

-John Ritter early in the second season of his sitcom “8 Simple Rules.” The show also had his character die unexpectedly

-Cheers’ actor Nicholas Colasanto, who died of a heart attack in 1985. “The show acknowledged the death of his character Coach
Add to that Jock on the original Dallas, they had the character missing and declared dead much later.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #47
JYoung
Series 3

Jack Soo passed during the fifth season of Barney Miller.
The show wrote an episode which had the actors step of character and be themselves in a tribute to Soo and his character of Yemana.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #48
danterner
Not it!

Huh. I was convinced that Fame dealt with the death of Mr. Sharofsky because the actor playing him, Albert Hague, had died. But checking into it on IMDB, it looks like he left the show in 1987 but lived until 2001.

Wow. I'm going down the Fame rabbit hole and learning all sorts of people were on it that I didn't know, like Don Cheadle, and Jasmine Guy, and Michael Cerveris (September from Fringe) and Harold Perrineau (from Lost). And I had forgotten Janet Jackson was on it too.
| Twitter:
Old 07-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #49
mattack

Only skimmed part of this.. but I read an article that said they had already written the first 2 eps of next season.. and obviously will have to rewrite them.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #50
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Only skimmed part of this.. but I read an article that said they had already written the first 2 eps of next season.. and obviously will have to rewrite them.
Yeah, you smeeked. I posted the link to the article above.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 AM   #51
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori View Post
I guess, I don't get how Lea Michele returns to work. They are going to have to write this in, somehow. And Rachel is a girl who's in love with Finn, and Finn is gone, and Lea Michele was engaged to the actor who played Finn, and he's dead.

It's too close to real life. I would not be able to do it. I don't know how she does it. And I don't want to watch it. Watching Rachel miss Finn would be just too much, I suspect, for many people.
And if they recast Finn, or both Finn and Rachel, that would be painful for the viewers and cast, too.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #52
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
And if they recast Finn, or both Finn and Rachel, that would be painful for the viewers and cast, too.
This..
Old 07-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #53
Drewster
Shooting blanks

I think an easy way to break it to the viewers is to show them leaving Finn's funeral. Graveyard, everyone in black, hushed tones, "it was so sudden", "I can't believe he's gone", etc. The Dads are there comforting Rachel.

Wasn't Finn's dad established as having abused substances? That works right in.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #54
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I think any scene that requires Lea to portray a grieving girlfriend is simply asking too much.

Kill him in a totally random way like life usually does (drunk driver being my choice) then have a little backstory exposition done through conversations between those characters/cast members most able and willing to do it.

Then move completely on.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #55
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
I don't see how Lea Michelle can possibly keep doing the show. I wouldn't be able to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I think any scene that requires Lea to portray a grieving girlfriend is simply asking too much.
Thank you. I was beginning to think that I had lost my mind.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #56
dtle

In these days of social media and obsessive fans, I don't think there can ever be a recast of any of the main stars of a popular show (ie, Darren in Bewitched). The only recent example is Rhodes for the Iron Man series, but those were movies.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #57
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
In these days of social media and obsessive fans, I don't think there can ever be a recast of any of the main stars of a popular show (ie, Darren in Bewitched). The only recent example is Rhodes for the Iron Man series, but those were movies.
Doctor Who does it pretty successfully, though they've built a foundation for it within the context of the show itself.
| Twitter:
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #58
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
Soaps do it all the time.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #59
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Elvis Duran on Kathie Lee & Hoda just indicated Glee premiere will be pushed back to possibly November. Dunno where he got his info though.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #60
TonyD79

Jane Lynch is scheduled to be on Leno this week. Could be an interesting interview.