TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
tlbz

On Demand alternatives?

I'm considering getting a TiVo but one thing that stops me (aside from the cost of a TiVo and TiVo's monthly cost--yes...I know about lifetime) is that On Demand is not available and I watch a lot of On Demand programming. I currently I have Comcast (On Demand via TiVo is not offered in my area) and am considering switching to FiOS.

I know about Netflix and Amazon but I'm not looking to pay additional monthly subscriptions and I was wondering what other alternatives might be out there for On Demand that I'm not aware of. For example, do Showtime or HBO or other cable movie broadcasters have any sort of link through/to TiVo devices if one has a subscription to those channels via one's cable company (Comcast or FiOS)?

Also...I prefer to watch tv on my tv and not on my pc so I'm looking for tv-based alternatives...

Thanks!

Terrie
tlbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Are you sure about the TiVo Xfinity On Demand support for your area? In the last few days someone has noted that Scientific Atlanta areas have begun getting services enabled (if that is your equipment type for your area), and you seem to have mentioned San Francisco in another post like it was your region, so if that's the case, that area is listed as a region with support.

If it's the free On Demand programming you mostly watch, an XBox 360 App could give you access to that. But it isn't supporting paid On Demand programming, at least yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
tlbz

Quote:
dswallow: Are you sure about the TiVo Xfinity On Demand support for your area?
Thanks...just double checked at tivo.com and it's not available yet in my area--I'm in the DC metro area (VA) and ref'd a post from another user who is SF-based...'-}}

>>If it's the free On Demand programming you mostly watch, an XBox 360 App could give you access to that. But it isn't supporting paid On Demand programming, at least yet.

Don't have one of those but at least it's another option to take a look at...

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 05-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Do you use a DVR with Comcast?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbz View Post
Thanks...just double checked at tivo.com and it's not available yet in my area--I'm in the DC metro area (VA) and ref'd a post from another user who is SF-based...'-}}
Still, I would ask in this thread, giving your zip code:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=493896

I've seen reports about it being available and yet still the lookup page says it isn't. Best to actually get a first-hand report of someone in your same area if at all possible.

And if you do have Scientific Atlanta/Cisco equipment in your area, there's still a chance it's available since that asterisk has mostly meant "Motorola systems have it, Scientific Atlanta systems don't" in the past.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
tlbz

Quote:
dswallow: And if you do have Scientific Atlanta/Cisco equipment in your area, there's still a chance it's available since that asterisk has mostly meant "Motorola systems have it, Scientific Atlanta systems don't" in the past.
I used to have an SA box but had to give it up when, after I'd had it for years and years and years with no dvr service (box had a dvr but the service wasn't on) Comcast suddenly turned on the dvr capability for the box, then Comcast wanted to charge me for something I didn't want telling me that they couldn't turn the dvr off although I'd had it for eons without dvr service. I ended up with a RNG200N box although when I log in to my Comcast account it still shows that I have the SA box...rolls eyes...'-}}

The link referenced multiple times in that thread (thanks for the link) is the same page I checked earlier and Virgina still has an asterisk next to it and if I plug in my zip code, the service is not available yet. I will check locally though...

Thanks...

Terrie

Last edited by tlbz : 05-28-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
tlbz

Quote:
whiskeytango: Do you use a DVR with Comcast?
No...my current Comcast stb does not have a dvr and I actually don't have any interest in dvr'ing. The only reason I'm looking into getting a TiVo is because of closed captioning issues with the FiOS stb's--I'm considering switching to FiOS since I have FiOS broadband and phone--and the Verizon techs suggested that a TiVo would resolve the closed captioning issues.

Yes...it's weird...I know...'-}}

Terrie