TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
confinoj

Service plan questions

I'm cutting the cord and plan on using Tivo for OTA HD. I'm hesitant to purchase new from Tivo as there are rumors of new hardware in the fall and trying to figure out what my options are to cheaply start using Tivo now with minimal commitment. I'm a little confused about the options as it pertains to the service plans and commitment.

It looks like I can try to find a used series 3 HD on ebay and then I can activate for $12.99 per month with no commitment. This may be the best option that I can tell.

I can buy a refurbished Premiere from Tivo for $99 but i need to commit to one year of service at $14.99/month. What's not clear to me is if I purchase a new Tivo within the 1st year, can I transfer my service and if so does the one year commitment reset?

I can buy a used Premiere on ebay. Do I need to commit to one year of service with this option? Same question as above in regards to transfering service to a new Tivo within the first year.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Generally, you cannot transfer service, but there are sometimes special incentives provided when a new box comes out.

Tivo subsidizes the box with service (like smartphones), thus the commitment.

Consider buying a used lifetime box, and sell once you upgrade to new hardware.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
atmuscarella

Another option is to buy a used Series 3 TiVo with lifetime service on it. There are 3 models the original Series 3, TiVo HD, and TiVo HD XL. They sell for around $300 +/- depending on if the hard drives have been upgraded or not.

Unless you plan on discontinuing watching TV lifetime service is the way to go and with OTA the older units are just as good or better than the newer ones. I have 3 lifetimed TiVos I currently use for OTA only; an original Series 3, a TiVo HD, and a Premiere. Unfortunately at timess I have server multi-path reception issues and for me the older Series 3 & TiVo HD do a better job than the Premiere.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
confinoj

Thanks for the advice. I didn't initially want to spend the money for a used box with lifetime but I'm reconsidering. I guess, as suggested, I could always re-sell it if it doesn't suite our needs or we want to upgrade to new hardware whenever that may be.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Check for Tivos on craigslist too. You're more likely to find a good deal there than on ebay. I found a Tivo HD with a wireless g adapter for $50 on craigslist and sold the adapter for almost $30 and this spring I found a 540 S2 with a wireless g adapter for $20 so I bought it and sold the adapter for $25.
Now that I think of it, I should check craigslist again.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
confinoj

So just to clarify. If I buy a used premier off eBay I have to commit to one year of service for that box only with no way to transfer before the years up? This is not true of a used series 3 hd though?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
austinpike

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
So just to clarify. If I buy a used premier off eBay I have to commit to one year of service...
I've been looking at setting up my parents with a Premiere I got on craigslist; Tivo rep said it would be 14.99/mo, no commitment. It may depend on the serial number of the unit as to which plan it is eligible for, but the impression I got is that they are less restrictive with used units. (presumably the original owner ate the cost of any commitment/subsidy.)

Definitely check on Craigslist, I met up to buy a wireless N adapter and they basically threw the Premiere in with it. Units without lifetime don't have a whole lot of value.
austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
confinoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinpike View Post
I've been looking at setting up my parents with a Premiere I got on craigslist; Tivo rep said it would be 14.99/mo, no commitment. It may depend on the serial number of the unit as to which plan it is eligible for, but the impression I got is that they are less restrictive with used units. (presumably the original owner ate the cost of any commitment/subsidy.)

Definitely check on Craigslist, I met up to buy a wireless N adapter and they basically threw the Premiere in with it. Units without lifetime don't have a whole lot of value.
Interesting. I asked Tivo sales rep yesterday and they said used premiere will require 1 yr commitment. But is does somewhat make sense if the box was used more than one year they shouldn't need to. Craigslist in my area unfortunately doesn't have any tivo HD boxes.