TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #121
moyekj

Do you have Slingbox IP set in kmttg as your PA WAN IP? Also enable "Capture raw file" option to eliminate ffmpeg from the picture (though I doubt that's the problem).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:07 PM   #122
HarperVision

Yes it is set to the PA WAN IP and I tried to raw capture to no avail. I was thinking maybe I'm using an incorrect version of perl? Mine is from March 2013 I think.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #123
moyekj

Check that you can use regular Sling client to communicate with that Slingbox. Also double-check you have the correct port number in kmttg setup per the instructions of the Help button. (I don't believe that's the issue here but it can't hurt to double-check all your settings anyway).

Ideally you would want to check if things work in your PA LAN 1st before trying out of home, perhaps using Remote Desktop, VNC or similar if you don't have physical access.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #124
HarperVision

I've checked and rechecked and all the IPs and ports are correct. I am watching that slingbox as we speak so I know it works that way. I don't think I'm going to be able to do remote access. It's at my parents house and it was hard enough to get them to even use a TiVo HD I gave them. Plus I'm no expert on setting up something like that myself.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #125
HarperVision

I do have a 350 here at this location that I'll probably test it with as well, but would like to be able to record from the PA Pro-HD if possible.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #126
moyekj

Without being able to check on LAN it makes things difficult. Only other thing I can think of is make sure you are not actually using the Sling client when attempting a capture - there can only be 1 connection at a time to the Slingbox, so attempting to capture when still connected will result in an error.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #127
HarperVision

Yeah I know about the one client deal. Been with sling since it's inception with the classic. I actually got one before they were even released from my distributor at the time.

It makes me think it's a perl issue based on this last line, agreed?:

missing or bad response header at C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\slingbox\rec2a.pl line 168.
pipe:: Invalid data found when processing input
Old 03-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #128
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yeah I know about the one client deal. Been with sling since it's inception with the classic. I actually got one before they were even released from my distributor at the time.

It makes me think it's a perl issue based on this last line, agreed?:

missing or bad response header at C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\slingbox\rec2a.pl line 168.
pipe:: Invalid data found when processing input
It's not a Perl issue really, but some error that is occurring. That line is:
Code:
sysread($s_ctrl, $hbuf, 32) == 32 or die "missing or bad response header";
i.e. It's trying to read back 32 bytes of response header from Slingbox and not getting 32 bytes back and hence throwing an error and exiting. So the problem really is unexpected Slingbox response.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #129
HarperVision

Any way to edit it to make it work in some way? Maybe get rid of the "die" part or adjust it down from 32 bytes to something lower?

Do we know that we are both looking at the same version of perl? Mine is from March 2013, a year ago. Is there a newer one with changes?
Old 03-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #130
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Any way to edit it to make it work in some way? Maybe get rid of the "die" part or adjust it down from 32 bytes to something lower?

Do we know that we are both looking at the same version of perl? Mine is from March 2013, a year ago. Is there a newer one with changes?
If you're running via kmttg then just use Help->Update kmttg and you should get the latest. It's not a Perl issue. If you want to try and debug you could change the line to something like:
Code:
sysread($s_ctrl, $hbuf, 32) == 32 or die "missing or bad response header: $hbuf";
This will print the contents of $hbuf (if any) which may give some clue as to what is happening. But it could well be there is no response from Slingbox in which case $hbuf would be empty.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #131
HarperVision

Wow thanks for all the help. I'll try that when I get back home tonight. If you happen to think of anything else please let me know!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:14 AM   #132
HarperVision

Ok I tried it with my local sling 350 and I'm getting a similar error, except now it says it's on line 140. Strange. I'd REALLY love it if someone could loan me access via their guest login for their 350 or 500 for a day or so in order to test a few things. Any takers? Dave

Last edited by HarperVision : 03-18-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #133
HarperVision

Success!!! I forgot I had to find out the Admin PW for the 350/500. Once I did that I
Can now record from my local 350. Now I just need to see if I can get it working remotely using my Pro-HD.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #134
christheman

Sounds great. How's the performance/transfer rate looking with the Slingbox? Is it comparable to TS file downloads through the built-in network adapter on the Tivo?
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #135
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
Sounds great. How's the performance/transfer rate looking with the Slingbox? Is it comparable to TS file downloads through the built-in network adapter on the Tivo?
It will never be as good as original recording since Slingbox is re-encoding from analog output. That being said, the Slingbox 350/500 models can capture at 1920x1080i resolution and a pretty high bit rate, so captures look pretty good. The following is a sample Slingbox 350 capture from a TiVo Mini output:
Sample Slingbox 1080i capture

(And of course Slingbox captures are not affected by CCI byte since they are capturing analog output, so you can capture any channel for any provider).

Last edited by moyekj : 04-03-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #136
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
And of course Slingbox captures are not affected by CCI byte since they are capturing analog output, so you can capture any channel for any provider).
I'm fairly certain TiVo applies Macrovision protection on analog outputs when the CCI byte is detected.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #137
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I'm fairly certain TiVo applies Macrovision protection on analog outputs when the CCI byte is detected.
Doesn't affect the Slingbox if it does.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #138
christheman

Quote:
It will never be as good as original recording since Slingbox is re-encoding from analog output. That being said, the Slingbox 350/500 models can capture at 1920x1080i resolution and a pretty high bit rate, so captures look pretty good. The following is a sample Slingbox 350 capture from a TiVo Mini output:
Sample Slingbox 1080i capture

(And of course Slingbox captures are not affected by CCI byte since they are capturing analog output, so you can capture any channel for any provider).
Thanks for uploading the sample. That looks fantastic. I guess I will add that to my list of options. Since I already have a Tivo, this will probably be the most convenient. All the other options involve ditching the Tivo - at least for my HD transfers. All over the ridiculous CCI byte... A part of me doesn't want to give them the power to break something else and disable me in some other way.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #139
cosmogoblue

Trying to get quality close to the sample

Quote:
It will never be as good as original recording since Slingbox is re-encoding from analog output. That being said, the Slingbox 350/500 models can capture at 1920x1080i resolution and a pretty high bit rate, so captures look pretty good. The following is a sample Slingbox 350 capture from a TiVo Mini output

I have read through this entire series and have the kmttg working well in windows. However, my quality is not near the sample provided. Can you summarize the configurations made in order to obtain this?

I am using a Slingbox 350 with DirecTV H20 receiver. Again, everything seems to work fine but in comparing quality, there is more to be desired.
cosmogoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #140
moyekj

Sample capture was from a TiVo Mini component output: 1920x1080i @6000 Kbps in mpegts container from NBC HD recording.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #141
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI I added the ability to open these files directly, without the MKV conversion, to VideoReDo v5. We plan to start a beta of v5 on Monday and if all goes well we should start selling it in about a month.

It's got a LOT of new stuff that's been in development for about a year and half so I'm excited to finally get it into the hands of users. If any of you are registered v4 users and want to try it out send me a PM and I'll see about getting you into the beta.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #142
cosmogoblue

Version

I think I may have an older version. How do I ensure I have the most up-to-date? Could that be the reason that the quality I am experiencing is well below the sample provided?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #143
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmogoblue View Post
I think I may have an older version. How do I ensure I have the most up-to-date? Could that be the reason that the quality I am experiencing is well below the sample provided?
Help->Update kmttg. Don't think that has anything to do with it though.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #144
cosmogoblue

Is there a certain encoding profile to use?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #145
moyekj

There is no encoding profile being used. The capture is being remuxed to new container and audio converted to AC3, but original video stream is preserved. To check video quality you should just view your Slingbox 350 output directly using web browser client. Quality you see aside from Slingbox encoding depends on how well your H20 receiver outputs analog component output.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #146
cosmogoblue

would hdmi provide better video quality? Also, how good is AC3 audio compared to the original?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #147
moyekj

HDMI captures will only work for unencrypted channels, so probably won't work at all for capturing from satellite. Plus Slingbox 350 doesn't have HDMI input anyway.

You can capture original stream with no changes at all by kmttg by turning on "Capture raw file" option in order to compare quality.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 AM   #148
cosmogoblue

thanks! where is that setting located?
Old 06-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #149
moyekj

It's part of the Slingbox tab.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #150
PowerCC

Will this method work for Slingbox M1? I just received mine and I would love to participate.
So far I needed to install Slingplayer for Desktop (no longer web streaming) however I did notice it's using the same web plugin by right clicking on the stream.

UPDATE: I got the Slingbox M1 stream capture working; make sure to use port 5301 instead of the default 5201.

Last edited by PowerCC : 09-21-2014 at 03:48 PM.
PowerCC is offline   Reply With Quote