TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Thom

Anyone hear anything about the TiVo Mega lately?

Since its announcement, the TiVo Mega seems to have dropped out of sight.

Anyone have any recent info about it?

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Series3Sub

Was it not mentioned in the last Quarterly as part of TiVo's retail presence? Let's fact it. One is better off with the Weaknees 6TB Roamio line solution, even 2 of them and a few minis. Maybe there aren't as many sucker clients in the Home Installation biz. Or the Home Installers can charge a Mega price to the client, but use Weaknees 6TB solution and then picket the difference.

Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
Was it not mentioned in the last Quarterly as part of TiVo's retail presence? Let's fact it. One is better off with the Weaknees 6TB Roamio line solution, even 2 of them and a few minis. Maybe there aren't as many sucker clients in the Home Installation biz. Or the Home Installers can charge a Mega price to the client, but use Weaknees 6TB solution and then picket the difference.
Speak for yourself. I'd be better off with the Mega.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
jfh3

Sure hope the Mega has a real driver for Control4

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:41 AM   #5
caughey

TiVo Mega was #2 on CNET's Top 5 Luxury Gift List for 2014:
http://www.cnet.com/videos/luxury-tech-gifts/

caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
mattack

So is the Mega hot swappable? i.e. is it actually a RAID volume?

Sure, I'm not going to spend $5K, but the idea is intriguing..
(Also, 8 TB drives are soon out from Seagate, for IIRC under $300..)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
So is the Mega hot swappable? i.e. is it actually a RAID volume?

Sure, I'm not going to spend $5K, but the idea is intriguing..
(Also, 8 TB drives are soon out from Seagate, for IIRC under $300..)
Really? Crap. I just got my first 6TB drive for my Tivo Desktop/KMTTG machine. If I had known that 8TB drives for under $300 were just around
the corner I would have waited.

EDIT: WoW!! The 8TB drive is supposed to have six platters. But I see the 8TB and 6TB versions still use 7.5 watts. The WD 6TH drive uses a little over 5watts. Still though I wish I had waited but I did get the 6TB WD drive for $225 from Newegg. Which is pretty good. But 8TB for $260 would have been much better. I still remember paying around $300 for 250GB drives in the early 2000's. Now they have 32 times that amount for less.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-10-2014 at 02:28 PM..
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
Bigg

I doubt many installers would use it, as it doesn't offer output for more TVs or any more tuners. They'd more like install a couple of 4TB Roamio Plus'es or Roamio Pros.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah it seems like a silly concept. It's basically a Roamio Plus/Pro in a rack mountable case with an obscene amount of HDD space. Seems like it would be more appealing if it offered more tuners (via multiple cards)

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah it seems like a silly concept. It's basically a Roamio Plus/Pro in a rack mountable case with an obscene amount of HDD space. Seems like it would be more appealing if it offered more tuners (via multiple cards)
Not many people have even used the DYI 4Tb TiVo drive system, as it gives you too great a number of programs to keep track of, not easy to mark what you have watched. A four user TiVo system would be a nice addition so after I watch a program it would have my mark on like say a 1, when other watch the program their mark would go on the program.
Note Netflix has done this.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #11
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Not many people have even used the DYI 4Tb TiVo drive system, as it gives you too great a number of programs to keep track of, not easy to mark what you have watched. A four user TiVo system would be a nice addition so after I watch a program it would have my mark on like say a 1, when other watch the program their mark would go on the program.
Sounds way complicated. It's not useful to remember which TiVo played a program, so you'd have to have to implement some kind of userid system for marking. I have a 4 TB Roamio and I use the same system I've used since my 750 GB S3 TiVos, which is to mark things KUID if I want to watch it, remove the KUID if my wife wants to watch it but wasn't present, and otherwise delete when watched. If I had kids still living at home they would have separate but equal facilities. Or be told to do their homework. (Yeah, right. I'd be watching TV on my iPad.)

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
trip1eX

Quote:
I have an easy system. You watch your stuff within a few weeks or month or ask Dad/Husband to save it (aka put it KUID.)

Netflix is different cause you don't worry about storage. I suppose with this Mega you'd be closer to that.

Still I tend to feel these solutions to multiple people using a device create the same problem they are trying to solve.

Last edited by trip1eX; 12-11-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Old 12-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
JosephB

Quote:
The RAID setup is also a selling point over a regular Roamio. It's not meant for people who look at price, it's meant for people buying $100,000 home theater setups.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
The RAID setup is also a selling point over a regular Roamio.
If it has a real Control4 driver with native Tivo screen layouts I'll strongly consider it, primarily because of the RAID. I can't see using more than 6 tuners, but I'd love to have massive storage I can count on.

The purchase price might still be too high though.

- Premiere (2TB) x2 (both for sale - PM me)
- Elite XL4 (for sale)
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Just a little too high. Well really a lot.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #16
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Sounds way complicated. It's not useful to remember which TiVo played a program, so you'd have to have to implement some kind of userid system for marking. I have a 4 TB Roamio and I use the same system I've used since my 750 GB S3 TiVos, which is to mark things KUID if I want to watch it, remove the KUID if my wife wants to watch it but wasn't present, and otherwise delete when watched. If I had kids still living at home they would have separate but equal facilities. Or be told to do their homework. (Yeah, right. I'd be watching TV on my iPad.)
TiVo really needs user profiles! It would be nice having individual profiles, and then a "god mode" that shows everything, with which profiles it is in.

I don't find it too hard to manage with roommates, but we rarely watch the same shows, and the ones that we do, we just keep back 2 or 5 episodes or something, which doesn't really hurt anything, since we've got 2TB of disk space between us.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #17
mattack

Quote:
Not many people have even used the DYI 4Tb TiVo drive system, as it gives you too great a number of programs to keep track of, not easy to mark what you have watched.
For the most part, I know I've watched it, since I delete it. If I want to keep it, I download it off of the Tivo. Yes, there are exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
TiVo really needs user profiles! It would be nice having individual profiles, and then a "god mode" that shows everything, with which profiles it is in.
I can see how you would want to list shows per person, but can you *really* come up with a UI as simple as the Tivo UI for managing the SPACE?

Even if you apportioned x% for each user, then one ends up being hosed when they can't record their show, even though the other hasn't used up all of their space...

and if you have to deal with this as an admin user kind of thing (yes you did mention god mode), that makes the UI even more complicated.

Now, if it were more a *labelling* thing, like in each SP, have a "user" choice that had no other ramifications other than by sorting (perhaps by the left sidebar), that might be a simple-ish way of doing it.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
jth tv

Why doesn't Tivo (and Netflix) just let us use SQL ?

That way everyone could write their own code to get what they want. Many people know SQL and almost everybody remembers Set Theory from 5th grade math, they are pretty much the same thing. SQL is easy.

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth tv View Post
Why doesn't Tivo (and Netflix) just let us use SQL ?

That way everyone could write their own code to get what they want. Many people know SQL and almost everybody remembers Set Theory from 5th grade math, they are pretty much the same thing. SQL is easy.
That gave me a laugh! You are quite the card!

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Now, if it were more a *labelling* thing, like in each SP, have a "user" choice that had no other ramifications other than by sorting (perhaps by the left sidebar), that might be a simple-ish way of doing it.
I was just thinking about this the other night. You're right that having real user profiles would make the UI too complicated, but I thought of something that might work.

OK so you set up a list of users, say up to 5, and each one gets a unique color. When you set up a show you can, optionally, pick which user(s) want to watch that show. If you select a show in the To Do List or SP Manager then you can add/remove users from the list of users associated with that show. Now in My Shows each user will have a listing in the left column, so you can filter the list to only show the programs associated with their user ID. When you delete a show that is associated with multiple profiles you get a prompt that says "other users may not have watched this yet" with the option to delete the show or simply remove your user ID from the episode so it no longer shows in your list. There will still be an option to display All, just like now, so if you're not associated with a show you can add yourself to an episode or simply watch it anyway.

Basically it becomes a referencing system that ensures everyone in the family who wants to watch a show gets to, and a filtering system that allows individual members of the family only see the shows in the list that they care about.

Rather then an entry in the left column they could also use the D button on the remote to cycle through profiles. Then you'd still have the option to filter your shows based on the categories on the left.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #21
trip1eX

Quote:
I was just thinking about this the other night. You're right that having real user profiles would make the UI too complicated, but I thought of something that might work.

OK so you set up a list of users, say up to 5, and each one gets a unique color. When you set up a show you can, optionally, pick which user(s) want to watch that show. If you select a show in the To Do List or SP Manager then you can add/remove users from the list of users associated with that show. Now in My Shows each user will have a listing in the left column, so you can filter the list to only show the programs associated with their user ID. When you delete a show that is associated with multiple profiles you get a prompt that says "other users may not have watched this yet" with the option to delete the show or simply remove your user ID from the episode so it no longer shows in your list. There will still be an option to display All, just like now, so if you're not associated with a show you can add yourself to an episode or simply watch it anyway.

Basically it becomes a referencing system that ensures everyone in the family who wants to watch a show gets to, and a filtering system that allows individual members of the family only see the shows in the list that they care about.

Rather then an entry in the left column they could also use the D button on the remote to cycle through profiles. Then you'd still have the option to filter your shows based on the categories on the left.
Not bad. Would people really use this though? For me the extra work associated with this would offset the benefit of not seeing a few shows in my Now Playing list that I don't care about.

Also I might go about the filtering of the shows by selecting shows in my list I don't want to see. Cycle the green button to get my profile and then when I see a show I don't want in my list hit a shortcut key like one of the number buttons and it won't show.

still seems like work to me and offsets not seeing 10-20 shows in my list that I might not watch.

Last edited by trip1eX; 12-12-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Old 12-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

I would love to have user profiles. Although I would mainly use it for myself and set up a profile for news, a profile for movies, etc. Then I would have a profile for my GF and her Lifetime recordings. It would be a nice way to keep things separate instead of jumbled together like it is now.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Not bad. would people really use this though? I wouldn't. I mean it just seems to add extra steps which seems to offset the benefit of not seeing a few shows in my list I don't watch and having 1 less page of shows to look at.
It would be optional. And if you don't set it up then it would work exactly as it does now.

I think it would be useful for families. Especially those with several Minis.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #24
trip1eX

Quote:
It would be optional. And if you don't set it up then it would work exactly as it does now.

I think it would be useful for families. Especially those with several Minis.
I don't know. I have several Minis and 2 kids and a wife. And I don't think we'd use it.

IT would mean every time I go to see a show I have to select my Profile. (Xtra steps.) It would mean selecting or deselecting shows for display on my list. (occasional xtra steps.) It would mean having a Admin view so you can delete stuff that may not be in your profile when you need room. (more hassle.)

All for what? To not see my kids cartoons in my Now Play list or a few of my wife's shows? IT seems like six of one, half dozen of the other.

Last edited by trip1eX; 12-12-2014 at 05:03 PM..
Old 12-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #25
shwru980r

Could the Tivo software be imaged to an external eSata disk array and be used as the main drive for a tivo using a sata to esata adapter?

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #26
Bigg

Quote:
I can see how you would want to list shows per person, but can you *really* come up with a UI as simple as the Tivo UI for managing the SPACE?
People have been managing shared storage space on computer systems for like 40 years. It shouldn't that THAT hard!

Quote:
Even if you apportioned x% for each user, then one ends up being hosed when they can't record their show, even though the other hasn't used up all of their space...
You could just have it as a passive system that shows you disk usage, or it could make it such that the user who's over their quota can't KUID everything, so stuff gets deleted if another user needs the space.

Quote:
True, that would be simpler, since it wouldn't have any permissions or login ramifications. At that point, it would just be a glorified folder system, but still add a lot of value to the TiVo system. From there, it would be brain-dead simple to show a bar with who has used how much space, and then let the humans figure it out from there.

That sidebar thing that showed up a software update or two ago is horrible. I immediately disabled it on all 4 of my TiVos. It's like the blooping the blopping, another thing that has to be immediately disabled to not want to tear your hair out when using the TiVo!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
I don't know. I have several Minis and 2 kids and a wife. And I don't think we'd use it.

IT would mean every time I go to see a show I have to select my Profile. (Xtra steps.) It would mean selecting or deselecting shows for display on my list. (occasional xtra steps.) It would mean having a Admin view so you can delete stuff that may not be in your profile when you need room. (more hassle.)

All for what? To not see my kids cartoons in my Now Play list or a few of my wife's shows? IT seems like six of one, half dozen of the other.
Maybe your wife and kids don't record enough. My wife and I have his and hers Roamio Pros. Not because we need 12 tuners but because she records so much crap it would be a chore for me to wade through all her stuff to find the few things that I record for me. (we record all of our common shows on my TiVo because I record so little for myself) If there was a way to filter the list like I described we could easily get away with having a single TiVo for both of us.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:11 PM   #28
trip1eX

Quote:
Maybe your wife and kids don't record enough. My wife and I have his and hers Roamio Pros. Not because we need 12 tuners but because she records so much crap it would be a chore for me to wade through all her stuff to find the few things that I record for me. (we record all of our common shows on my TiVo because I record so little for myself) If there was a way to filter the list like I described we could easily get away with having a single TiVo for both of us.
Even if I'm just looking at my stuff I often have to wade through lots of shows to get something I want unless it is a recently recorded show. Profiles won't change that.

IF you watch your stuff within a few days it should always be in the top few pages.

And if someone records 3 things and their wife records records 100 then the former is barely using the Tivo so why worry about profiles?

It's a hardcore feature. Unless Tivo wants to start to cater to that crowd then I don't see it.

OH and I'm looking at my Now Playing list right this moment and I see 7 shows (out of 9) that I don't watch on the first page. Yet I don't have a problem with finding my shows quickly.

I hit page down until I see it (usually just a few times unless it's something recorded long ago) and then arrow down to it and hit play.

I find that this process is quick and responsive. If everything was on the first page it might be quicker, but then I'd have to deal with profiles which would cancel that out.

Last edited by trip1eX; 12-12-2014 at 07:24 PM..
Old 12-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #29
trip1eX

Quote:
Maybe your wife and kids don't record enough. My wife and I have his and hers Roamio Pros. Not because we need 12 tuners but because she records so much crap it would be a chore for me to wade through all her stuff to find the few things that I record for me.
btw maybe went about your solution the wrong way.

You should have got 1 Roamio Plus. You'd have far fewer shows to wade through.

That's my solution.

Last edited by trip1eX; 12-12-2014 at 07:47 PM..
Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #30
mattack

Quote:
That is still conceptually similar to my description of labelling..

but I think it (and my description from yesterday) are still FAR FAR too complicated.. i.e. people just won't use it.

"separate Tivos" is really easier (and yes I know way more expensive).