TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
miketx

Fios stores no longer...have to order the cablecard

Not sure about your area, but in my area (DFW), Verizon stores are all wireless now.....NO FIOS. So you can't pickup a cablecard at the store any longer...you have to order it online and pay $19 shipping/handling.
miketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
mt3gr1ty

Yep - I gave the customer sales rep a hard time on this one. Why make me pay $20 because you don't have local stores available in a major market? (I live in DFW too). I lost but I'm up and going now
mt3gr1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
mr.unnatural

I have a Verizon FIOS storefront in my area (Columbia, MD), but AFAIK, they never had cablecards at the store that you could stop by and pick up. I've always had to order mine either online or over the phone. FWIW, the fee they charge you covers overnight shipping and handling so it's right in line with what that would cost. Mine have always arrived the next day. Unfortunately, they don't offer a less expensive shipping method.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
dbenrosen

Luckily, there are still stores in my area (Northern NJ). The stupidest thing they have with shipping is if I return something. If I take it, unboxed, to a UPS store, the shipping is free. If I return it to the Verizon store, they charge $19. Wouldn't you think it would be the other way around?
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
mr.unnatural

They charged me $10 to return a cable box when I took it to the Verizon service center a while back. They also told me it would be free if I took it to UPS. They probably have to pay a pickup charge to UPS if they have to come to the store. They obviously have an account with UPS so you can just drop it off at the nearest UPS Store or shipping center.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
epstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I have a Verizon FIOS storefront in my area (Columbia, MD), but AFAIK, they never had cablecards at the store that you could stop by and pick up. I've always had to order mine either online or over the phone. FWIW, the fee they charge you covers overnight shipping and handling so it's right in line with what that would cost. Mine have always arrived the next day. Unfortunately, they don't offer a less expensive shipping method.
Just today I walked into the Verizon store in Columbia, MD, and picked up a CableCARD ... I'll self-install it in my new Roamio Plus when it arrives later this week ... Hope all goes well ...
Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
caughey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenrosen View Post
Luckily, there are still stores in my area (Northern NJ). The stupidest thing they have with shipping is if I return something. If I take it, unboxed, to a UPS store, the shipping is free. If I return it to the Verizon store, they charge $19. Wouldn't you think it would be the other way around?
I was swapping out my digital adapter for a cable card. If I returned the DA to the FiOS store, there was a ~$20 charge, but I could ship it for free at any UPS store. To get the cable card, there was a ~$20 charge to ship it, but I could pick it up free at the store.

And I think they said if it was a replacement card instead of a new card, it would have been the opposite (free to ship, charge to swap at the store).

caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
Bigg

They don't have service centers? How do you run a cable TV service and not have a local service center? For box swaps and other crap like that? Our local Comcast one is constantly pushing out, taking in, and swapping equipment! Comcast has closed the service centers for some systems, but now other systems' service centers support both. In Verizon's case, it's a lot easier, since they're all Moto, and based out of the same SHEs, so they don't have a completely different configuration every few towns like Comcast does.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
mr.unnatural

The Verizon store I mentioned is sort of like a service center, but not like the ones you're used to with Comcast. The Comcast centers basically deal with equipment swaps and returns and probably some other service issues. The Verizon shops don't seem to stock a lot of hardware and apparently deal mostly with account issues and subscription changes or new account signups. To be honest, I don't exactly know what else they might do. The shop I frequent basically has several computer terminals at individual kiosks manned by Verizon employees. There's a big flat screen TV on the wall playing one of the FIOS channels non-stop. Other than that, there's a back room they disappear into and the rest of the main room is bare. I've only gone there to return equipment so my knowledge of any other services they offer is extremely limited.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The Verizon store I mentioned is sort of like a service center, but not like the ones you're used to with Comcast. The Comcast centers basically deal with equipment swaps and returns and probably some other service issues. The Verizon shops don't seem to stock a lot of hardware and apparently deal mostly with account issues and subscription changes or new account signups. To be honest, I don't exactly know what else they might do. The shop I frequent basically has several computer terminals at individual kiosks manned by Verizon employees. There's a big flat screen TV on the wall playing one of the FIOS channels non-stop. Other than that, there's a back room they disappear into and the rest of the main room is bare. I've only gone there to return equipment so my knowledge of any other services they offer is extremely limited.
The FiOS store by me doesn't even deal with account issues any more. I went there a few weeks ago and I was told that they no longer have the ability to add or change my services. And the only info they could pull up about my account was the same info that I had access to online. When I went there last year this was not the case. The entire store seems like a waste to me now.

The entire reason I went to the store was because I had an online issue making changes to my account. I could not access that part online from any PC or any web browser. I had the issue for almost four months before they finally fixed it. I called and chatted numerous times about it, but it took them forever to fix it. I've had the same issue in the past but it was usually fixed in a few weeks. So I was rather pissed a few weks ago when I found out that the local FiOS store couldn't make changes to my aservices any more.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
miketx

Quote:
The $19 doesn't handle overnight shipping/handling. Mine is going UPS Ground, per Verizon (and tracking I just did on UPS). I ordered Tuesday.....delivery is Friday
miketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Bigg

Quote:
So there is no service center? That's odd...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #13
epstewart

Quote:
If the original issue is whether the so-called "Verizon Retail Stores" (not the "Verizon Wireless" stores) carry CableCARDs, I picked one up at the Verizon Retail Store on Columbia 100 Pkwy. in Columbia, MD yesterday. This is also a store where FiOS customers go to pick up or return things like cable boxes. It's not a service center. I know of no Verizon service centers where a customer can walk in and get repairs. The FiOS service guys come to you when needed. You don't have to go to them. I'm mot sure why some posters to this thread seem to have complaints, because my experiences with Vetizon and FiOS have been mostly good.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 AM   #14
telemark

To me the question is the fee/process to get a cablecard the same as to get a convertor box? ie. are they being discriminatory to customers who want to use their own equipment?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #15
waynomo
My One Time

I think the issue is that there are different types of Verizon stores with different services. We have a Verizon Experience store near us in Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax, VA. There is no problem getting cable cards or cable boxes there. They did want to change me $10 per cable box that I wanted to return. I had no problem going to the UPS store to stop them off there. That was a minor inconvenience and was handled quickly and efficiently by the UPS store personnel.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote