TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
MannyE
Dalek Sec

Can I still get a lifetime transfer/discount?

I have an original Philips TiVo that I bought way back in 1999. I remember that at one point I was able to get a 199 dollar credit towards new lifetime service on a new premier.

Anyone know if I can still do that?

I'm about to upgrade everything as I am moving away from direct tv and going ota and Netflix/Hulu.

A 200 dollar discount on a new Roamio would be sweet.

One quick note. Amazing how the original TiVo unit has only now after 15 years given up the ghost. And it was the modem that crapped out, not the hard drive! Something to be said for those low revving 90s drives and longevity I guess.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Call TiVo tomorrow and see what they can do.

You should be eligible for the $100 MSD discount on lifetime service.

Some of the earliest S1's allowed a single lifetime transfer - I am not sure if you have one of those (they are pretty rare these days.)

TiVo isn't offering a lot of discounts on the Roamio, but you might be eligible for something.

You are going to be blown away by the difference in the TiVo!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 09-01-2014 at 10:01 AM.
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
MannyE
Dalek Sec

That's exactly the one I have. The first ever TiVo. I will call them and order over the phone I guess. Sometimes a salesperson will be more motivated when the client is on the telephone with them. I've worked out that without discounts going to OTA will have an initial cost of 1200. That would mean 1 year for the payback.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
GBL
covert opiniative

Here's the word from the horse's mouth (at the time):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
Taken from the new pricing summary posted as a sticky at the top of the Coffee House:

Q. Can I transfer my Product Lifetime service contract to new hardware?

A. For Product Lifetime, the answer is no, just like today. This isn't really part of our announcement and the rules haven't changed, but since this is a frequently asked question I'm including it here. Product Lifetime is always tied to the specific box that you activated, as defined in the terms of the Product Lifetime Description: http://www.tivo.com/0.4.asp

There are only four exceptions:

1. 30-day money back guarantee: During the first 30 days after you activate your Product Lifetime service, you can transfer freely from one unit to another.
2. Grandfather transfer: The one-time "Grandfather transfer" (for people who purchased Product Lifetime on or before January 21, 2000 [as in, more than six years ago], and who have not already used their one-time transfer) is still allowed and will also be honored for future hardware releases from TiVo, such as the Series3. If you have any trouble when you call, please mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.
3. Authorized warranty replacement:In the event that a unit with Product Lifetime malfunctions, you can opt to have it repaired under warranty by the manufacturer. If the manufacturer (whether it's TiVo, Humax, Sony, etc.) cannot repair the unit and opts to replace it, we will transfer the Product Lifetime service to the new unit. In most cases this happens automatically. If not, you can usually make the change yourself in Manage My Account or by calling customer support.
4. Extended warranty through a retailer: As a courtesy, TiVo will usually allow a Product Lifetime service transfer in the case that you purchased an extended warranty from a retailer, and the retailer was not able to repair the unit and instead replaced it with an equivalent unit under the terms of their extended warranty program. Note that customer support might ask to see evidence of the extended warranty agreement.

Pony

unpaid volunteer, TiVo army
GBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

How do you get $1200?
The Roamio basic is $200 or less (the Plus and Pro models don't do OTA) and a lifetime sub for that w/o any discount is $500. That's $700 but you have an existing lifetime sub so you get a $100 discount w/o even having to ask for it on a lifetime sub for a Roamio, so your cost is at $600 + $15/mo for Hulu+ and Netflix.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
How do you get $1200? The Roamio basic is $200 or less (the Plus and Pro models don't do OTA) and a lifetime sub for that w/o any discount is $500. That's $700 but you have an existing lifetime sub so you get a $100 discount w/o even having to ask for it on a lifetime sub for a Roamio, so your cost is at $600 + $15/mo for Hulu+ and Netflix.
He may be talking a complete OTA install to include antenna, amps, preamps, coax, pro install, maybe a mini or 2, etc.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Silly question perhaps but does this imply if I can find a used series 1 or 2 that is 6 years old or older, I can get lifetime transfered from it to a newer Roamio?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Silly question perhaps but does this imply if I can find a used series 1 or 2 that is 6 years old or older, I can get lifetime transferred from it to a newer Roamio?
???
No. That specifically says the Tivo had to be subscribed with product lifetime before january 2000. It only says "more than six years ago" because GBL was quoting an old post from a Tivo employee that would have been posted in about 2006.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM   #9
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
???
No. That specifically says the Tivo had to be subscribed with product lifetime before january 2000. It only says "more than six years ago" because GBL was quoting an old post from a Tivo employee that would have been posted in about 2006.
OK, never mind the 6 year thing but if one has a lifetime Tivo from before January 2000 with lifetime that such could, did be transferred to a more modern tivo such as the Roamio? I didn't release the one quote was from a 2006 post.

I'm not familiar with what series were active prior to January 2000, would that be series 1?
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
OK, never mind the 6 year thing but if one has a lifetime Tivo from before January 2000 with lifetime that such could, did be transferred to a more modern tivo such as the Roamio?

Did you read the quote from TiVoPony that GBL posted?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
MannyE
Dalek Sec

Looks like according to the quote it WAS something that was viable but it's 6 years on now. I just hope some of that original TiVo coolness is still around.

Nothing will ever replace the feeling of that first time I paused. Live TV. It was so cool I bought a bunch of TiVo stock. Lol.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
MannyE
Dalek Sec

Eight years not six. Oh boy.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
MannyE
Dalek Sec

Quote:
How do you get $1200?
The Roamio basic is $200 or less (the Plus and Pro models don't do OTA) and a lifetime sub for that w/o any discount is $500. That's $700 but you have an existing lifetime sub so you get a $100 discount w/o even having to ask for it on a lifetime sub for a Roamio, so your cost is at $600 + $15/mo for Hulu+ and Netflix.
That's one lifetime Roamio and three lifetime minis. Not just the Roamio.