TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Satchel

Mad Men "Man with a Plan" (OAD 05/12/2013)

Not sure about "50 Shades of Grey" Don Draper. Part of me thinks he was doing that to drive Sylvia away after hearing her fighting with Arnold. I think in his head he didn't want to deal with a situation similar to what happened to Pete a few episodes ago.

Nice to see Peggy still not afraid to tell Don what she thinks. Funny as hell to see Don get Ted drunk at work. Saw that coming.

Feel bad for Pete. Crazy mom can't be any fun.

Interesting they played RFK's assassination at the end, no real reactions other than Don/Megan.

And Joan protected Bob during the layoffs. Interesting to see what's up with that.

Oh, and Roger getting to fire Burt Peterson again was epic.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Bob Coxner

Joan protected Bob because of what did for her when she was ill.

I disagree about Don's motivation with Sylvia. His "please?" was plaintive as he was trying to get her to stay. I see it as Don always wanting to be a position of power. He's lost that at work, especially after the merger - and had it thrown in his face with Ted flying the plane. He's no longer the big fish in the small pond. He's lost it at home as Megan has become independently successful and could easily survive without him. Sylvia was his last (for now) avenue to feel powerful.

Sepinwall's take on the episode: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...ptain-speaking
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Funny that Bob's been sucking up to people all season and the one that really counted wasn't done on purpose.

Hated the Don/Sylvia subplot. Ick. Not hot. I thought she was going to tell him to get his own damn shoes. Megan would have played along but it wouldn't have felt so imbalanced. When she does it (like the party cleanup scene last season) you know she's playing the part. Almost worth enduring for that "please?" at the end, though.

The plane scene was another good payoff for enduring all that.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Part of me thinks that once Don thought Sylvia was truly available he did that master/slave thing as a way to push her away. Basically make her break it off with him.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Roger was awesome, as always. What's gonna happen with Pete? He's really worried about his job. The guy is a total tool, but the agency wouldn't be the same without him.

By the way, what is the name of the agency now? I don't recall seeing how they handled that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
vman41
Omega Consumer

Pete's paranoia about his position at the company didn't make sense to me. He's still a partner.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

I'm surprised Sepinwall didn't mention Jim Cutler's dyed hair. Particularly when he said he'd like to see Jim and Roger in a spinoff being clever and "silver-haired".

Did I imagine that?
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

His bit with his secretary was funny. If he leaves (not that I think he will) Joan will just reassign her. Her fate's not tied to his.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Hated the Don/Sylvia subplot. Ick. Not hot.
I really couldn't help but think about Cleveland when that happened - a man with his sex slave for whenever he wants her. At least Sylvia was playing along. I was really afraid they were going to have Don do something to prevent her from leaving. He can be scary sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
I'm surprised Sepinwall didn't mention Jim Cutler's dyed hair. Particularly when he said he'd like to see Jim and Roger in a spinoff being clever and "silver-haired".

Did I imagine that?
He's been asking for a silver fox-off, yes.

Quote:
His bit with his secretary was funny. If he leaves (not that I think he will) Joan will just reassign her. Her fate's not tied to his.
Not necessarily. If Pete becomes unnecessary, then that position is unneeded and the position that supports it. There's a good chance, especially since they were cutting back, that she could be let go as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

what did everyone make about the exchange between Joan and Peggy? Peggy asked Joan about her "little man" with Joan returning the same question, though with a different meaning. Peggy didn't miss a beat. But it seemed a very clear reference or reminder to the viewers.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Sepinwall's review mentioned something I noticed - Dawn was mentioned several times and Don looking for her several times, but she didn't appear in the episode once. That was odd and I wasn't sure what they were doing there.

- billypritchard
Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Sepinwall's review mentioned something I noticed - Dawn was mentioned several times and Don looking for her several times, but she didn't appear in the episode once. That was odd and I wasn't sure what they were doing there.
Good question. She clearly didn't quit or get let go. Don was expecting her to be there.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I really couldn't help but think about Cleveland when that happened - a man with his sex slave for whenever he wants her. At least Sylvia was playing along. I was really afraid they were going to have Don do something to prevent her from leaving. He can be scary sometimes.
There is a world of difference between kidnapping & sex slavery, and the world of lite BDSM. What Don was doing is game and role playing. That guy in Cleveland... whole 'nother world of sickness there.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
There is a world of difference between kidnapping & sex slavery, and the world of lite BDSM. What Don was doing is game and role playing. That guy in Cleveland... whole 'nother world of sickness there.
Of course I know that - but Don has nearly crossed the line into abuse in the past and there was an echo there for me that made me worry he'd actually restrain her when she tried to leave, and I'm sure the thought was only in my head because of recent events.

- billypritchard
Old 05-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
mwhip
All better

I would love to see a comparison of Pete's hairline over the seasons he is very close to having a comb over

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:

He's been asking for a silver fox-off, yes.
Yes, but did I imagine that Jim Cutler dyed his hair in this episode? It seemed much darker to me than in previous episodes. Like he wanted to appear more youthful with the merger, not be the old gray man.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
That reminds me of a line I loved. I can't quote it properly since it doesn't work written but basically:

"Have you seen Don?"
"Black or white?"
Old 05-13-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
Yes, but did I imagine that Jim Cutler dyed his hair in this episode? It seemed much darker to me than in previous episodes. Like he wanted to appear more youthful with the merger, not be the old gray man.
You did not imagine that, I also thought he'd dyed it.

- billypritchard
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
I would love to see a comparison of Pete's hairline over the seasons he is very close to having a comb over
I read something before the season started saying that Vincent Kartheiser has been a good sport about having his hairline moved back. So apparently this is just something they are doing for/to the character.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post

By the way, what is the name of the agency now? I don't recall seeing how they handled that.
At one point you can hear a secretary answer a phone "Sterling, Cooper, Draper, Price, Cutler, Gleason, and Chaough"
Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That reminds me of a line I loved. I can't quote it properly since it doesn't work written but basically:

"Have you seen Don?"
"Black or white?"
I heard that and didn't get it till reading here (and realizing) that Dawn wasn't around.

Add me to the list that thought Don was doing the whole thing with Sylvia to try and drive her away (or see just how she would bend). It would have been fun to see her fling the shoes at him and just leave him sitting there.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

What I got from Don/Sylvia was the control thing mentioned above. Stay in bed, don't answer the phone, his taking the book, etc. At one point I though he was going to smack her around a bit.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #23
Dawghows

Quote:
"Have you seen Don?"
"Black or white?"
Another great bit:

"I have to eat something."
"Doesn't ice count?"
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Hated the episode. Totally disturbing and found all characters devoid of likeability or redeeming qualities. I'm losing interest.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #25
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I didn't like Don getting Ted drunk, and didn't find it amusing, but the stuff with Sylvia - has he done anything like that before with his women? The gal in season one (the artist ?) - I don't think so but it has been awhile since I watched that. Any others?

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Betts, I didn't like that either, or Pete with his mom, . . .Roger firing Peterson . . . a pretty creepy episodoe where all the lead mean were despicable. Thank goodness some of the women ended up with character intact.

I hope this is anomalous because I need to feel some connection or caring about the outcome, and all I cared about was having it end.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #27
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Roger may have been despicable but he was hysterically funny so I'll let it slide.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #28
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Roger may have been despicable but he was hysterically funny so I'll let it slide.
Probably one of my top 5 moments of the season
Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
Betts, I didn't like that either, or Pete with his mom, . . .Roger firing Peterson . . . a pretty creepy episodoe where all the lead mean were despicable. Thank goodness some of the women ended up with character intact.

I hope this is anomalous because I need to feel some connection or caring about the outcome, and all I cared about was having it end.
Peterson wasn't all that innocent, from Sepinwall:

"Burt Peterson loudly announces his intentions to irritate the hell out of his old Sterling Cooper colleagues;"
Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #30
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Hated the Don/Sylvia subplot. Ick. Not hot. I thought she was going to tell him to get his own damn shoes.
Me too. I was hoping she would.

Roger is the best thing about this show.

I'll watch until the end of this season but I'm on the fence about next season. I just plain don't like Don Draper.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts

Last edited by cheesesteak : 05-14-2013 at 03:22 PM.
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote