TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
dave13077

Moving Tivos around

I am looking for some opinions. I have a Tivo Elite (XL4), Premiere and Mini. The Elite is the main Tivo we use. It is located in the Living room. The Premiere is located in the den and is only used once or twice a week. Because I am one of the people having the "random black tuner" issue I am thinking of switching the Elite and Premiere around. Since my problem happens when the same channel is on more than one tuner the issue has gotten worse with the addition of the Mini. If we shut off the Mini when it is on a channel we have trouble with the Elite if we try to tune that same channel. So every morning I have to make sure that the 3 tuners on the Elite are tuned to different channels and make sure that the Mini is also on a different channel. It can be a real PITA. Tivo seems uninterested or unable to fix this issue so my question is:

Should I just move the Premiere into the living room and have the Elite put in the den as a recording/streaming box? If I do this is there a shortcut I can use the go directly the the other Tivo in My Shows without having to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list?

I thought about getting another Mini for the living room but the lack of Netflix is a deal breaker on that front.

Thanks
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
lessd

Why would moving any TiVo unit within the same home and TiVo account change its behavior in any way ?

Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Why would moving any TiVo unit within the same home and TiVo account change its behavior in any way ?
Because the "blank tuner" issue really hampers live TV viewing and 50% of the time this is what the living room Tivo it is used for. The Tivo in the Den primarily is used to watch recordings.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
If I do this is there a shortcut I can use the go directly the the other Tivo in My Shows without having to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list?
If you hold the skip to the end button on the remote in My Shows it will jump to the top or the bottom of My Shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
If you hold the skip to the end button on the remote in My Shows it will jump to the top or the bottom of My Shows.
Great, Thanks!!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Richard Cranium

Big Grin

Quote:
I am looking for some opinions. I have a Tivo Elite (XL4), Premiere and Mini. The Elite is the main Tivo we use. It is located in the Living room. The Premiere is located in the den and is only used once or twice a week. Because I am one of the people having the "random black tuner" issue I am thinking of switching the Elite and Premiere around. Since my problem happens when the same channel is on more than one tuner the issue has gotten worse with the addition of the Mini. If we shut off the Mini when it is on a channel we have trouble with the Elite if we try to tune that same channel. So every morning I have to make sure that the 3 tuners on the Elite are tuned to different channels and make sure that the Mini is also on a different channel. It can be a real PITA. Tivo seems uninterested or unable to fix this issue so my question is:

Should I just move the Premiere into the living room and have the Elite put in the den as a recording/streaming box? If I do this is there a shortcut I can use the go directly the the other Tivo in My Shows without having to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list?

I thought about getting another Mini for the living room but the lack of Netflix is a deal breaker on that front.

Thanks
There are a couple of better ways to achieve multi room viewing without having to take the box with you.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Norma Stitz View Post
There are a couple of better ways to achieve multi room viewing without having to take the box with you.
I am not taking the box with me. I am thinking about switching the locations of both boxes. They will stay where they are once moved.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
I am not taking the box with me. I am thinking about switching the locations of both boxes. They will stay where they are once moved.
If you have a TiVo problem why would moving it make any difference, if you have a signal problem in one place than moving the TiVo to that location will not fix anything, I guess if you have one TiVo that does not work reliably moving the less reliable TiVo to a place in your home that the TiVo has little use may make sense if you don't want to get that TiVo fixed.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
smithken31100

I don't know if moving the Tivo's around will help your problem but I see no harm in trying.
smithken31100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Just move them around and see. With my TiVos I can move them anywhere and they will behave the same way. But I have not run into a "blank tuner" issue with my Minis, Elites or OTA only Premiere.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote