TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question cleaning up a tivo's case and remote

So, I got an older series 3 tivo from a coworker for dirt cheap. It works fine. However, when I went to pick it up, they obviously are all heavy cigarette smokers as most of the house smelled like smoke. After I got this series 3 home, I then noticed its case and peanut remote have a faint smell of smoke.

We don't smoke so are probably extra sensitive to the smell, but is there maybe a good way of cleaning up this series 3's hardware to get rid of the smell? Or is it now really just gonna require a good amount of time to basically air out?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
So, I got an older series 3 tivo from a coworker for dirt cheap. It works fine. However, when I went to pick it up, they obviously are all heavy cigarette smokers as most of the house smelled like smoke. After I got this series 3 home, I then noticed its case and peanut remote have a faint smell of smoke.

We don't smoke so are probably extra sensitive to the smell, but is there maybe a good way of cleaning up this series 3's hardware to get rid of the smell? Or is it now really just gonna require a good amount of time to basically air out?
You can surface clean everything but the smoke smell is likely embedded deep inside both units as well. Maybe hang an air freshener near the fan.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

All I can think of to do is to open the cover of the Tivo and using can air, blow out the inside of dust on the board and the fan. Some/most of the smell could come out as well.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Worf

You'll have to deep clean it unfortunately - the smoke just gets everywhere in every nook and cranny so you really need to wipe it all down inside as well.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You'll never get it out, ever. Sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
tenthplanet

Try searching Google using "absorbing smells with activated charcoal" for some ideas, one thing I found is this used to reduce cat litter box odor. It's looks like Amazon has something along those lines. If you're near a pet store you might want to see what they have. As to the remote try getting some Oust spray, and dampen some paper towel, rub the remote with it then wrap the paper towel around the remote when not in use for awhile. Don't use Febreeze or you'll get scented over the smoky.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

take it back for week and ask them to smoke menthol.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
You'll never get it out, ever. Sorry.
Yea, for how cheap I paid for it, if the smell doesn't totally go away (or at least enough not to really notice), then I might just be better off pulling the hard drive and using that in some sort of system or home configuration
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to do some crazy custom TiVo case modding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
ggieseke

Call a fire restoration company like Servpro - they can get smoke smell out of anything. If nothing else, they could put it in a high ozone room for a while.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
lessd

Take the TiVo apart, remove; the hard drive from its bracket , power supply, motherboard, and front panel, get some flux cleaner and clean both the mother board and power supply with that, do not get this cleaner on the front panel. the chassis, cover and hard drive bracket now can be cleaned up with soap and water, the front panel (both back and front) with a good plastic cleaner, the hard drive (off its bracket) with contact cleaner, let sit for a day, than put it back together and you should be good to go. I have done this myself and it works for smoke and other odors.