TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
MikeekiM
Palindromer

American Idol Finale - 5/15 & 5/16/2013

Surprised there is no thread for the 2013 finale...

What did everyone think of last night's performances?

I am about to hit the road and deal with the commute, but thought I would start the thread to get the ball rolling and check out the comments (and chime in) later...

What did you think of the Carly Rae Jepson song from the Coke influence?
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
What did you think of the Carly Rae Jepson song from the Coke influence?
I was stunned at how many times I had to hit the "advance 30 seconds" button to get through the song...

Candice should win - but likely will not. Angie will end up being the most successful. That's my stance, sticking to it!
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Vocally, it was no contest - Candice all the way, but we'll see what happens tonight.

Cool to see Kree as a little kid on Rosie though.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I wonder how soon before they will release singles/albums from the runner-up and Angie...and how long they will wait after the winner's releases before doing it.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
MikeekiM
Palindromer

I like both finalists for different reasons, and I think that I will be satisfied with either being crowned the winner...

That said, if I was a betting man, I would bet on Kree because I think that country fan voters outnumber R&B fan voters...(just my perception)...

And even though I would be satisfied with either winning, if I was the one choosing the winner, I would crown Candace the winner...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
ADG
Allan

The days of it making a difference who wins are long gone. Now most of the top 5 (or more) end up with lucrative record deals. They'll both be multi-millionaires within a year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

I'm hoping it's Candice, but I bet it will be Kree.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I have been saying since the beginning that Candice is the better singer.

That said I don't think there is a wrong choice tonight. They are both very talented.

My gut tells me that it will probably be Kree (the country vote is strong), but honestly I will not be dissapointed either way.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Cainebj

I dunno - I still think that Kree is only a good not great highly forgettable country singer. If you compare her up to the mountain to Kelly Clarkson's - no contest.

Candace slayed it with I Who Have Nothing.
unfortunately, I'm not sure how successful she will be in the long run.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Candice will win and join Lee Dewyze and Taylor Hicks in the "Idols no one cares about anymore" file.

I hope not, but I suspect that's what will happen. Aside from her phenomenal voice she doesn't have much charisma for the entertainment business.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Candice will win and join Lee Dewyze and Taylor Hicks in the "Idols no one cares about anymore" file. I hope not, but I suspect that's what will happen.
I think you are pretty right about that although I have to say the duet with J-Hud was pretty awesome.

Call me crazy -
I thought Angie with Lambert and Jessie Jae was one of the best things of the night. Angie already seemed like a pro - and I think that's what is going to come out of this season. She will be the most commericially successful

Mariah - that had to have been pre-taped.

I did find it amusing that Angie got Lambert and Jessie, Candice got J-Hud and who did Kree get? Randy and Keith. Sorry Kree we couldn't get a good guest vocalist for you.

and Aretha singing from NY was just - odd!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Call me crazy -
I thought Angie with Lambert and Jessie Jae was one of the best things of the night. Angie already seemed like a pro - and I think that's what is going to come out of this season. She will be the most commericially successful
Not crazy. I also thought it was one of the better performances.

Did anyone else get the feeling Mariah was lip synching at least part of her performance?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

Call me crazy -
I thought Angie with Lambert... <snip>
On the finale of a show that generally celebrates bombastic over-singing it was very nice to see an understated performance by a pro who was not trying to out sing his partner and instead allowied her to shine the brightest.
Much too short but very sweet.
J-Hud should take note as she tried to bury Candice in their duet.

I had no horse this season (and bailed midway through) but given the final two think the right person won.
But dang she needs a bit of charisma.

Totally underwhelmed by J-Lo and Mariah.
Looking forward to a 99% Idol retool by next season.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
Did anyone else get the feeling Mariah was lip synching at least part of her performance?
I thought it was half live half pre-recorded.
Well yes it was and that's a fact - Miquel's vocals were on tape for the new song - that was also odd they weren't able to get him to show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
Totally underwhelmed by J-Lo and Mariah.
Mariah could have used AI judges own advice.
Instead of doing one song magnificently and having a moment
- she does a medley of 10 giving each 20 seconds.
Trying too hard.

J-Lo - well funny the morning after I forgot about J-Lo.
I thought it was more amusing than anything else.
Trying WAY too hard.
A mediocre song that will be fun on the dance floor and loved by the cast of Jersey Shore.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #15
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Just in case you're like me and wondering who won, Candace won and A̶n̶g̶i̶e̶ Kree was 2nd. First time in 5 years a white guy with a guitar hasn't won.

(Phillip Phillips, Scotty McCreery, Lee DeWyze, Kris Allen and David Cook)

Edit: Was skimming an article that kept referring to Kree as "Harrison" and I thought/assumed it was Angie. My bad!

Last edited by Waldorf : 05-17-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Waldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
Jstkiddn
Shutity up up up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Just in case you're like me and wondering who won, Candace won and Angie was 2nd. First time in 5 years a white guy with a guitar hasn't won.

(Phillip Phillips, Scotty McCreery, Lee DeWyze, Kris Allen and David Cook)
Kree was 2nd.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Just in case you're like me and wondering who won, Candace won and Angie was 2nd.
See? That's what I think should have happened
but Angie was 3rd voted off last week.
Kree was second.

Lastly -
I just checked out Candice's song on iTunes and it don't sound very good.
You know when the judges have said you have a voice made for radio / would be great for recording... doesn't sound like Candice's is one of them.

If they hadn't mentioned it last night - Angie's original song You Set Me Free sounds great but it's not charting I don't think anyone even knows it is out.

Last edited by Cainebj : 05-17-2013 at 09:10 AM. Reason: more
Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought the "Sabotaged" bit was VERY funny! Especially when Janelle messed with Lazaro's sheet music - HI-larious!!!

I'm a much bigger fan of Kree than Candice, but I do feel 'America got it right'.

My interest level in Idol dropped greatly this season and I've been much more interested in The Voice.

We'll see what happens with the retool in January.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
We'll see what happens with the retool in January.
We'll see sooner than that - they'll need to have the new judges decided by the time audition callbacks start; I assume this would be in mid-September, since the "stadium" auditions run from July 16 through August 11.

There's already a MAJOR rules change: Season 12 (and only Season 12) contestants who did not go on the Tour (even for just one city, presumably) are eligible to return. Normally, once you make it to a live/viewer-voting show (or, in Seasons 4-6, are cut just before the live shows), you can't return in future years.

Last edited by That Don Guy : 05-17-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #20
SNJpage1

Angie really rocked both her songs on the finale. She showed that she has what it takes. I think she actually lucked out by coming in 3rd. She is now free to sign with any one she wants. Candice is stuck with an Idol contract for a year and has to do what they say. I still don't think Candice has the vocal style or the personality to make it as a recording artest. I think she should head for Broadway where I think she would have a better chance at a Tony than a Grammy.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #21
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
Angie really rocked both her songs on the finale. She showed that she has what it takes. I think she actually lucked out by coming in 3rd. She is now free to sign with any one she wants.
Excuse me? Every contestant's contract says that, if they make it to Hollywood, they have to sign whatever contracts the producers put in front of them (and the producers have until three months after the finale airs to decide which ones they want to sign). I wouldn't be surprised if Angie didn't sign with 19/Interscope the minute she was eliminated.

This is how it appears in the Season 12 Release that all contestants had to sign:
Quote:
I understand and agree that if my appearance, name, likeness, voice, singing voice, conversation, sounds and/or biographical data is used in connection with the Program, I may be required, in consideration of Producer possibly including my appearance, name, likeness, voice, singing voice, conversation, sounds and/or biographical data in the Program, and at Producerís election, to enter into the following agreements with Producer and/or Producerís designee(s), the terms of which shall be subject to good faith negotiation: (a) an agreement for the management of my career in the entertainment industry (including, but not limited to, my acting, singing, songwriting, or other services); and (b) an agreement for the use of my name, voice, conversation, likeness and biography in connection with advertising, endorsements, merchandising, and/or sponsorships.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Yep- all of the those that make it to the show are stuck with 19/Interscope unless 19/Interscope doesn't want them.
And even then I don't think they can sign with anyone else until a month past the end of the tour.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #23
Tracy
Truly

I fast forwarded through most of the show but watched the J-Lo performance because the dancing looked interesting. The backup dancers were all wearing sort of filmy see-through dresses with corset type tops underneath. One of them, a girl in dark purple, seemed to have lost most of her corset top early on so when she put her arms up, we got a clear view of boob through the thin dress material. I seem to be the only one who noticed that...not sure what it says about me.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

It says you're the only one that didn't FF through L Lo's performance.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Definitely this.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
Tracy
Truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
Maybe that's it. Poor J-Lo.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Nothing poor about J-Lo!!

Count me in the majority who FF'd.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 AM   #28
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

A 27-post thread on an Idol finale. Record for brevity?

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I usually post pretty often about AI, and I don't think I've posted once this season. For one thing, I fell way behind on watching, so my comments would have been stale, and this season just wasn't very compelling. I liked the girls, and I think Candice is a deserving winner. Definitely the best singer out of the top 10 or 12 or whatever it was. I wasn't into Kree. Candice/Angie would have been a better finale.

I think Idol has gone downhill every year for the last several years. Yet I continue to watch (so far).

I thought the finale show was one of the worst ever. People are always saying that Idol needs to skew younger, yet they keep trotting out Motown week and Beatles week and stuff like that, and then on the finale you have Frankie Valli and Aretha, and Aretha is just up on a video screen. The only really engaging performance was Angie/Jessie J (interesting how it seemed like Angie got treated better than Kree in terms of performances, screen time, etc). Candice and Jennifer Hudson was good, but it seemed like J-Hu was trying to "win" the duet, which she did. (I like Jennifer and I know that's how she always sings, but it didn't really work for showcasing Candice.)

Out of this group, my guess is that the most successful will be Angie and Janelle. I can see Janelle going the Kellie Pickler route and doing well.

To me, the star of the season was Keith Urban, who was a great judge. He had to go first in his comments nearly every time, and usually said something thoughtful and helpful, and then the other three judges would either restate his comments or agree/disagree with them. They rarely had original thoughts. But I think Keith is too "normal" for Idol to bring him back.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I usually post pretty often about AI, and I don't think I've posted once this season. For one thing, I fell way behind on watching, so my comments would have been stale, and this season just wasn't very compelling. I liked the girls, and I think Candice is a deserving winner. Definitely the best singer out of the top 10 or 12 or whatever it was. I wasn't into Kree. Candice/Angie would have been a better finale.

I think Idol has gone downhill every year for the last several years. Yet I continue to watch (so far).

I thought the finale show was one of the worst ever. People are always saying that Idol needs to skew younger, yet they keep trotting out Motown week and Beatles week and stuff like that, and then on the finale you have Frankie Valli and Aretha, and Aretha is just up on a video screen. The only really engaging performance was Angie/Jessie J (interesting how it seemed like Angie got treated better than Kree in terms of performances, screen time, etc). Candice and Jennifer Hudson was good, but it seemed like J-Hu was trying to "win" the duet, which she did. (I like Jennifer and I know that's how she always sings, but it didn't really work for showcasing Candice.)

Out of this group, my guess is that the most successful will be Angie and Janelle. I can see Janelle going the Kellie Pickler route and doing well.

To me, the star of the season was Keith Urban, who was a great judge. He had to go first in his comments nearly every time, and usually said something thoughtful and helpful, and then the other three judges would either restate his comments or agree/disagree with them. They rarely had original thoughts. But I think Keith is too "normal" for Idol to bring him back.
I pretty much agree with all of this, except that I thought this season was better than the last couple seasons. My wife really liked Kree but I don't see her as a big star. I think Amber had the most potential to be great, but wasn't quite there yet.
Roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote