TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
bradleys
It'll be fine....

TiVo nDVR and TiVo everywhere

Quote:
TiVo nDVR and TiVo everywhere
TiVo partners will receive private demonstrations of an ever-evolving nDVR solution, 4k demonstration platforms as well as a more portable TiVo experience for Chromecast and Roku devices. TiVo will also be demoing a completely rebuilt and optimized Android mobile application coming in March and rolling out premium sideloading to iOS users in the coming months.
The redesigned android app in March and sideloading for premium content is really cool - but I am really interested in:

More portable tivo experience for Roku and Chromecast

I am wondering if you are simply going to be able to "cast" from the TiVo app to the a Comcast dongle internal and OTH... Now that would be very cool!

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Grakthis

I'd assume you could cast to the Chromecast anywhere you can watch the video on your phone.

My Chromecast, for me, has become my "travel media player." It lets us take my kids shows with me when we travel to the In-laws etc and it's trivially small and easy to setup. This would let us also essentially take our TiVo with us too. That would be nice!

Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
The problem with the Chromecast as a "travel media player" is that they're hard/impossible to use in hotels. I recently took a trip and tried to setup my Chromecast in the hotel. I had to use my Android tablet with a MAC address spoofer app to even get the Chromecast on the network and even after I did that I still couldn't use it because the hotel's firewall prevented my iPad from being able to discover the Chromecast on the network.

I recently bought a FireTV Stick that I plan to try next time I travel. It has it's own UI, so you can control it directly. That should allow it to access the hotel wifi without the spoof and allow the apps to function because there doesn't need to be any communication between my tablet and the stick.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I have a TP-Link WR702N Wireless-N150 Nano Router that will extend a hotel Internet to a private wifi network.

It has worked very well for me in the past.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1yanp4c2sv_b

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 01-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I have a TP-Link WR702N Wireless-N150 Nano Router that will extend a hotel Internet to a private wifi network.

It has worked very well for me in the past.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1yanp4c2sv_b
I have seen travel routers like that one talked about on several different tech shows. They all had good thinks to say about what ever device they were reviewing (I think the first one I saw was a dlink). Most motels/hotels I have been in have a hard wire and setting up your own sub-network does seem like the best/most secure way to connect any devices in a motel/hotel room. Add in a secure VPN and you might actually be safe.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yeah, it is really a pretty cool device. I can always find an ETHERNET outlet (once, the only one was connected to the TV.) and this allows you to create a simple subnet. It is cheap, it is small and there are huge advantages to all your devices connecting to the same sub network.

This paired with my Chromecast and I rarely use the TV at all - accept for the news.

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys; 01-09-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Old 01-09-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well that thing looks nifty. I had no idea something like that existed. For $20 I might grab one just to play with.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
davezatz
Funkadelic

Yeah, I've got one too. (And before it a larger, slower but still USB-powered ASUS.) Good for tons of things. Configuration and/or changes can be a bitch, but once setup right it's quite versatile.

Specifically regarding travel, I'm looking forward to an Amazon Fire TV stick update for web browser to login into guest hotel networks. Everything else I usually wirelessly tether to my phone (where I have solid LTE coverage).

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote