TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
jcasurella

How to Connect: Samsung Sound Bar/TV/Tivo

Here are my specs:

Older Samsung TV (2 HDMI Inputs, Optical Input)
Samsung Sound Bar HW-F450
Tivo Premiere
Apple TV

Can anyone point the way to properly connect my Samsung Soundbar with a Tivo Premiere in the mix?
Also, can I program the Tivo Glo remote so that the Soundbar will work with this remote?

Thanks!
jcasurella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Johnd206

When I setup my soundbar with my TV and Roku I connected both HDMIs to the TV and used the optical out from the TV to the soundbar. I'm interested in seeing the other responces
Johnd206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd206 View Post
When I setup my soundbar with my TV and Roku I connected both HDMIs to the TV and used the optical out from the TV to the soundbar. I'm interested in seeing the other responces
I did the same. This is the method that I was going to suggest as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasurella View Post
Here are my specs:

Older Samsung TV (2 HDMI Inputs, Optical Input)
Samsung Sound Bar HW-F450
Tivo Premiere
Apple TV
Are you sure that it is an optical input?

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #4
javabird

I set up my Panasonic TV via HDMI to a Panny Sound bar and Tivo. I connected the Apple TV to the other HDMI port in the Sound bar. This way the Sound bar turns on automatically when the TV turns on and the volume is controlled via the Tivo remote.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
TrooperOrange

I have that exact same soundbar.

I have my tv mounted on a wall all wires run in the wall etc... and all components in an AV cabinet elsewhere. So for me I have it setup like this:

AV components > HDMI switch > single hdmi cable to soundbar > single hidmi cable to TV.

That way inputs are never switched on the TV, or soundbar, just the HDMI switch.

A few notes, that soundbar has no codes that I can find on the normal roamio remote. I got the slide remote and used the learning funcion.

So slide remote switched on TV and soundbar, and controls volume of soundbar. Input button controls HDMI switch via IR repeater to AV cabinet. Romaio works via RF.

Hope that helps.
TrooperOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
Bigg

Ugh what is it with these awful soundbars? They are basically snake oil, you're never going to get surround sound unless you actually HAVE surround sound. With a full 5.1 or 7.1 setup.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Ugh what is it with these awful soundbars? They are basically snake oil, you're never going to get surround sound unless you actually HAVE surround sound. With a full 5.1 or 7.1 setup.
True, but for me it was a great upgrade to the tinny sound that my TV supplied. As much as I would love to have a large 7.1 system (and I have had a 5.1 system in the past), I didn't have the room after my last move to set it up correctly. Also, a sound bar was a smaller financial impact at the time. It worked well for me, and continues to fit my needs. I'm happy with my sound bar purchase.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
ffitzgerald39

How to Connect: Sound Bar/TV/Tivo

I agree with the need for a sound bar with the newer large screen TV's which have poor sound directed down or out the back.

In the case of Sony TV and sound bar, if you hook them up with "HDMI control" then everything goes through the sound bar amplifier via HDMI. The Tivo remote then contols the sound bar through the TV. The Tivo remote turns on and off the TV and the sound bar. When turned on the TV then switches the sound to the sound bar with the volume controlled by the Tivo remote.

In my case I also have a Sony Bluray connected thru the sound bar. When I switch the input from TV/Tivo to Bluray using the Tivo remote it not only switches the TV input but also turns on the Bluray player.

With Sony, setting up the "HDMI Contol" is complicated but if you follow the instructions works very well. I did this with the Tivo remote just using the online codes without any learning function.
ffitzgerald39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
javabird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
True, but for me it was a great upgrade to the tinny sound that my TV supplied. As much as I would love to have a large 7.1 system (and I have had a 5.1 system in the past), I didn't have the room after my last move to set it up correctly. Also, a sound bar was a smaller financial impact at the time. It worked well for me, and continues to fit my needs. I'm happy with my sound bar purchase.
I am a bit hard of hearing and the TV audio was not sufficient for me. Voices were muffled and hard to understand. I don't have the room for a surround sound system in my small apartment (nor do I really need one), but the sound bar was an affordable alternative and definitely improved the audio quality.
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by supasta View Post
A 7.1 channel system that's not properly set up due to space considerations is leaps and bounds better than some crappy soundbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
I am a bit hard of hearing and the TV audio was not sufficient for me. Voices were muffled and hard to understand. I don't have the room for a surround sound system in my small apartment (nor do I really need one), but the sound bar was an affordable alternative and definitely improved the audio quality.
I had an Onkyo S9400THX HTIB in a small one-bedroom apartment. The surrounds and rear surrounds were basically on top of each other, but it still sounded decent, and was well worth it, even with the lack of true 7.1 channel separation.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote