TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
jrm01

Schedule problems after new update

Following the update this week I'm having a weird problem. I have a Season Pass for Fast Money every night at 5 p.m. Set for Record New. It only has a generic program description, but always shows up in the listings as NEW.

It has not recorded the last two days. I checked the History and it shows it with the NEW flag, but was not recorded since it was a Duplicate.

When I checked the upcoming episodes it only shows today, not any of the episodes shown in the Guide for the next 10 days.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's likely more of a data problem then a software problem. TiVo marks anything with an original air date within the last 28 days as "new". For repeats it keeps a history of everything it's recorded in the last 28 days and will not record another copy of any show with the same episode ID.

Something similar to this happens with The Daily Show. Sometimes it has full info, sometimes it has generic info but proper air date and episode ID, and sometimes it's completely generic. I find it easier just to use a repeat manual recording for it instead of dealing with all the weird data issues.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
Following the update this week I'm having a weird problem. I have a Season Pass for Fast Money every night at 5 p.m. Set for Record New. It only has a generic program description, but always shows up in the listings as NEW.

It has not recorded the last two days. I checked the History and it shows it with the NEW flag, but was not recorded since it was a Duplicate.

When I checked the upcoming episodes it only shows today, not any of the episodes shown in the Guide for the next 10 days.
The Zap2It web site shows Fast Money as new until 6/6 (but not 5/27) and the Fridays' shows have a description. On the TiVo, it's the same except Friday's show has no description and it does not show it scheduled to record on the guide except for next Friday. True, a news show is not the best example but there is a real disconnect between the guide, To Do List, SP and reality.

Now if only the TiVo guide could use TMS to get syncronized. Hmmmm...

I have a SP for The Daily Show. On weeks that are not repeats, Monday has repeats scheduled before 11pm. On weeks that are all repeats, four shows are recorded. I only have CNBC and ComCent in HD. Adapt or get frustrated.

I haven't received the update yet.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
jrm01

Well now, did a little more checking. The episode set to record today (5/23) had an original air date of 5/16, even though it was a new episode today. Not a TiVo problem, just a data problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
Well now, did a little more checking. The episode set to record today (5/23) had an original air date of 5/16, even though it was a new episode today. Not a TiVo problem, just a data problem.
Today's episode has a first aired date of 5/17/13. Missing the "new" indicator. Zap2It and TitanTV show it as new. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
jrm01

Yeah, I missed it again tonight. They now always seem to have an OAD exactly one week earlier than it is actually airing. Now the disease seems to be contagious. Mad Money didn't record either, and it also showed an OAD of last week.

Guess I'll just change the Season Pass to record all episodes.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
JoeKustra
Cable only

I set a season pass for your show. It was set to skip last night on the To Do List. Today it has all 4 days scheduled for next week. I sent feedback to Zap2It, asking how their guide is so accurate and TiVo can screw it up. Their reply: "Tell TiVo". And the return address was from TMS.

It has been posted how the TiVo schedule makes decisions based on dates of shows. An example of how that doesn't work is to look at the ABC/Mon/10:01pm show of Motive. It's a Canadian import and the episodes are flagged with the OAD in Canada, yet have the correct Season/Episode number. It's an example of being too smart again. Or living in 1960.

Zap2It still seems 99% accurate. When my cable goes down, I get a billing credit for LOS. If TiVo did the same for missed shows they would make the guide more accurate very fast.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
It has been posted how the TiVo schedule makes decisions based on dates of shows. An example of how that doesn't work is to look at the ABC/Mon/10:01pm show of Motive. It's a Canadian import and the episodes are flagged with the OAD in Canada, yet have the correct Season/Episode number. It's an example of being too smart again. Or living in 1960.
I do not follow your logic. Season/Episode are controlled by the programId which comes from TMS and is the same as when it showed in Canada. The OAD also comes from TMS. How exactly do you propose that the TiVo determine that it is "new"?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I do not follow your logic. Season/Episode are controlled by the programId which comes from TMS and is the same as when it showed in Canada. The OAD also comes from TMS. How exactly do you propose that the TiVo determine that it is "new"?
Ask the people at Zap2It how they do it. Pay them if needed. "The" TiVo doesn't supply the guide. TiVo, Inc. does.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
"The" TiVo doesn't supply the guide. TiVo, Inc. does.
Using the data they get from TMS. zap2it has exactly the same OAD as the TiVo.

What you're asking TiVo to do is change the way they determine whether or not an episode is "New" when processing an FRO SP. Since this change would only be to Premiere's and whatever comes next, this would be a major difference in how different models behave.

In addition, there are other factors at work. Lets say it switches to using the flag that it uses to set the "R" in the info. How then is an FRO SP supposed to pick up subsequent showings of an episode where it was unable to record the initial showing, the only one flagged as "New"?

Bottom line, this would screw things up for most everything to (partially) handle an infrequent problem.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
JoeKustra
Cable only

Zap2It is right. TiVo is wrong. That's my bottom line. I don't care who screws it up or how it gets fixed.

If they are exactly the same, why is Motive correct on Zap2It and wrong on my TiVo? Same for Fast Money on Friday at 5pm on CNBC.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
lpwcomp

Quote:
Zap2It is right. TiVo is wrong. That's my bottom line. I don't care who screws it up or how it gets fixed.