TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
newsposter
Poster of News

shark tank 5 10 13

wow the burger chicks were hard headed. why not take the money for more trucks then use those profits for the restaurant? they admitted this wasnt enough for the restaurant so it did seem like flailing a bit

i had the same reaction as mark when the movie was pitched. i thought it would be about racing bikes around a track like you can race cars at speedways now. plop down some money and get to ride like the pros

i thougth the photobooth was a bit silly and the guys were toooo slick. i didnt understand where all the props come from? do you buy them? no way could u rent as people will jsut steal them. i didnt catch the price of the photo array? they all did look funny in the outfits, esp the pimps

i think robert missed the mark on the bike one. there's a group of parents out there willing to spend to get their kids every leg up and while i wouldnt invest, she had some decent number

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Hank
AC•FTW

I thought the photo booth idea was a good one -- to rent out for big corporate events, etc. The props are cheap, who cares if a few get stolen and need to be replaced. That cost can be figured into the rental charge.

And I agree about the burger truck -- just make more trucks. It costs upwards of $1mill to build out a restaurant storefront, and they only wanted $250k? Insane, as the sharks told them many times. Also, they need to change the name! Every time they said "Baby's Bad Ass Burgers" I thought they were saying: "Baby's Bad Aspergers".

The movie idea was DOA -- who pitches a movie with no actors, no script, and a trailer with no actual footage? Idiots, all of them. I do like how they put Robert's face in the helment, though, as well as peeling off the Exec Producers as each shark dropped out.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The photo booth people were unimpressive. There are other companies that do the same thing and I couldn't tell what they were suggesting differentiated them. The one we hired was about $1000 and offered everything these guys offered for about 5 hours of service. It seemed like they were saying their prices were in the thousands, so I must have missed something.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
wow the burger chicks were hard headed. why not take the money for more trucks then use those profits for the restaurant? they admitted this wasnt enough for the restaurant so it did seem like flailing a bit
I think when the sharks decided they didn't like the brick and mortar idea or the optimistic $250k estimate to open it, these ladies were going to be crucified either way. If they went with the sharks and immediately pivoted to saying, "OK, give us money for trucks instead," then they would've been attacked for appearing weak and desperate.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
inaka

As for the burger ladies, I wouldn't give them too much grief. I mean, they are still running a successful business, still have the option open to them to buy more trucks, and got a lot of national exposure via the show at a minimal cost of giving up some equity to the producers.

I don't think their brick and mortar business pitch was insane at all. The plan itself might be insanely risky, but that's why they were on the show...to find a sucker shark to bankroll their idea and shield some of their own risk. I have a feeling they won't have a problem getting their brick and mortar idea off the ground after being on the show. There are surely plenty of millionaires in LA who would love to own a Hooters type restaurant, that has a legitimate story, yet they get to be surrounded by young hotties in low cut tops all day.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
The photo booth people were unimpressive. There are other companies that do the same thing and I couldn't tell what they were suggesting differentiated them. The one we hired was about $1000 and offered everything these guys offered for about 5 hours of service. It seemed like they were saying their prices were in the thousands, so I must have missed something.
Yeah...I've seen local companies that will setup something very similiar at a party for a couple hundred bucks
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
2004raptor

I was surprised none sharks told the name was stupid. Maybe they didn't think it was though.
can you imagine taking your young kids to a place named that? Seems there business might be flourishing but I would avoid it like the plague.
2004raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
I was surprised none sharks told the name was stupid. Maybe they didn't think it was though.
can you imagine taking your young kids to a place named that? Seems there business might be flourishing but I would avoid it like the plague.
Yeah...I had the same thought. Cute for a food truck but horrible for a restaraunt!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
The negotiations can last up to an hour. Maybe they did mention that and it just got edited out because it did not meet the story the producers wanted (who now have a vested interest in the concept succeeding)?