TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
mrdazzo7

thoughts on Nikita (non spoilery)?

I'm running dangerously low on shows to watch for the summer... Right now I have the Killing and Dexter to look forward to, but Breaking Bad doesn't start until August and while I'll probably watch True Blood, it's not a show I like enough to get psyched about each week. Usually each summer I try to pick up a show I haven't seen that has a backlog, but I've made my way through just about everything I would want to watch...

Only thing I see on Netflix that I didn't already watch that looks like something I WOULD watch is Nikita, so it looks like that's gonna be it... Is a good show to get in to? I don't want to read any other threads for fear of spoilers... Just curious what people think of it. Watched the pilot and it seems to have an "Alias" vibe which is fine since that's one of my favorite shows. Does it stay serialized? Is it interesting over the three seasons it's been on?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
BradJW

I thought the first season was really good.

I quit watching after only a few episodes in season 2. IMO, it went downhill fast.
BradJW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I like it. They like to shake things up a lot...each season, the status quo changes fairly substantially, although the overall vibe is pretty much the same. It is heavily serialized. The characters have grown on me over time. It's not one of my favorites, but it's high in the mid-range.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

I watch it every week. It's not great. It's not bad enough that episodes pile up. The last couple of years have been better than the first couple. You just have to get used to a scrawny little woman wipes out about 37 bad guys per episode.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
jasrub

I look forward to it each week. I never see a thread for it here, so I figured I was in the minority.
jasrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
I'm running dangerously low on shows to watch for the summer...
I'm not familiar with the type of shows you like but there are a few 'summer' shows that are going to start up June/July.

Copper, Teen Wolf, Longmire, Burn Notice, Falling Skies, Major Crimes, Royal Pains, Rookie Blue, Rizzoli & Isles, Perception, Covert Affairs.

A couple of new shows also. 'Under the Dome' and 'King & Maxwell'.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

It's ok. I thought the first season was really good, after that, it was ok. There are some decent episdoes mixed in with some really dumb ones. My impression that it's Dollhouse mixed with Alias, mixed with 24, although I don't think Nikita is as good as any of those three.

I enjoyed the USA Network version of Nikita better (La Femme Nikita). It's that's available on Netflix, I'd recommend that over this version. Still, not bad for summer viewing I suppose.

Anyone know if it's coming back for next season? Ratings seem to be horrible ( but then again, it's CW, which makes NBC look like a ratings winner).
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
The Spud
Nick Danger, 3rd Eye

Yes.

Nikita renewed for fourth season.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

It's fun but not a masterpiece. They make dramatic changes in the show only to then ultimately result in the same basic plots and show structure.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spud View Post
Guess I won't delete my SP then! I wouldn't miss it if it were gone, but I'll stick with it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Guess I won't delete my SP then! I wouldn't miss it if it were gone, but I'll stick with it.
I believe it's only for about 4 or 5 episodes

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I believe it's only for about 4 or 5 episodes
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
So it was renewed for a six episode final season? Weird, I think Warehouse 13 just got renewed for a six episode final season too. At least it gives the writers a chance to wrap things up gradually.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
That's pretty unusual for network TV. Hopefully they use it to wrap up loose ends.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
mrdazzo7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
I'm not familiar with the type of shows you like but there are a few 'summer' shows that are going to start up June/July. Copper, Teen Wolf, Longmire, Burn Notice, Falling Skies, Major Crimes, Royal Pains, Rookie Blue, Rizzoli & Isles, Perception, Covert Affairs.

A couple of new shows also. 'Under the Dome' and 'King & Maxwell'.
Yeah Under the Dome is on my list to check out... I'll try just about anything that's heavily serialized... not into cop procedurals at all (criminal minds being the only exception), and for some reason not one single show on USA or TNT have worked for me, which sucks because they have a lot of summer programming.

Last summer I got into Breakout Kings and absolutely loved it, I watched the first season in like a week then got into season two as it aired. Was pissed that didn't get renewed.

I guess this summer Nikita will be my 'show with a backlog' should I come across any gaps. I'll probably check out "the bridge" on FX since they make good shows (AHS exluded) and it has Diane Kruger in it. So between that, Dome, The Killing, Dexter, etc, I guess I'm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
So it was renewed for a six episode final season? Weird, I think Warehouse 13 just got renewed for a six episode final season too. At least it gives the writers a chance to wrap things up gradually.
Exactly - I think it's awesome when networks do that, especially on broadcast TV. They usually have trouble with scheduling and pullling together resources for that short of a time period but I think it's cool when they do it because it's like a "thank you" to fans and gives the creative team behind a show the chance to end it right. I'm always ok with a show ending if it has foresight like that.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

I watched the first two seasons of nikita from Netflix and really enjoyed them. And then started watching Season 3 from the CW. I'm glad they gave them six episodes to end the show properly. I really enjoyed watching the first two season from Netflix. It was so much better watching them in such a short period of time than spread out over two years.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #17
alpacaboy

I like Nikita. Fun action. You have to be able to let go of reality.
If you like the genre:
CW shows about pretty Canadians with angst, sometimes with super powers
then this will fit in. About half the time, it works for me. Nikita is one that does.
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote