Forum Jump

Old 11-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Trek Nation

From http://science.discovery.com/tv/trek-nation/
Quote:
About Trek Nation

This tribute follows Gene Roddenberry's son, Rod, as he explores the deep impact of his father's singular vision for the future. Through interviews with fans, including George Lucas, J.J. Abrams, Seth MacFarlane, and many notable Star Trek alums, Trek Nation chronicles a son's journey to discover his father's work that helped define science fiction.
Schedule at http://science.discovery.com/tv-sche...416.132608.0.0. It being rerun a few times in the next two weeks.

I've only watched the first 15 minutes or so and it's definitely not a documentary I've seen before.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
JoBeth66
Temp

It was really, really well done. GR Jr. was continually shocked by the impact his dad's work had on people, he didn't watch Star Trek growing up. Watching him try to interview his mom was a little painful, though. The conversation with Wil Wheaton was fantastic.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

I've watched a bit more.

I'm watching a high def recording (from Science HD) and I'm amazed at how good the picture quality is on the most of the TOS footage. I haven't bothered buying or renting the remastered (?) Blu-ray Discs of TOS but perhaps that's how good the picture quality is on those?
Old 12-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
I set a recording for this yesterday when it showed up in one of the EW or TV Guide related "highlights" of the day columns. I was hoping it was going to be pretty good and it reads from above that will be the case.

As to the quality of the Blu-ray discs of TOS, yes the PQ on those is very, very nice. Nicely cleaned up images
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I bet all the Geek-dar is on overload now

I am not a Trekkie by any means, but I might watch this anyway.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

My TiVo picked this up last night. I'll watch it tonight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
swinca
Menace to society

I watched a good bit of this and will definitely go back and watch the rest. It was very interesting. I liked the part where they interviewed George Lucas and gave him a phaser.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'm not a huge Trekkie but I watched all two hours of this straight through. It was very interesting and well done.

I didn't remember a lot of the Star Trek:Original Gangsta footage. I havent watched it in decades. I'll try to make it a point to TiVo the original episodes if I can find them.

It was good to see that at least some of the writers didn't like the utopian theme of ST:TNG. I've always thought that aspect of the series was naive. Humans are going to be greedy and self interested no matter what century it is.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

errrr..... Was this show in multiple parts/episodes?

I TiVo'ed what I thought was the whole thing. I got a one our show that just seemed to end abruptly. Like there was supposed to be more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post

I TiVo'ed what I thought was the whole thing. I got a one our show that just seemed to end abruptly. Like there was supposed to be more.
Weird. Perhaps it was a bad airing or bad guide data.

The ep that I've recorded and am not done watching spans the entire 2 hours. I'd checked the end to see if the last bits were cutoff.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:21 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:

It was two hours

Old 12-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Weird. Perhaps it was a bad airing or bad guide data.

The ep that I've recorded and am not done watching spans the entire 2 hours. I'd checked the end to see if the last bits were cutoff.
it appears that way.. I dug back in the guide to Thursdya night and saw that the airing I selected to record was only listed as a one hour show in the guide. Other instances were/are listed at 2 hours. I selected a 2 hour airing that aired early this AM. It should be waiting for me when I get home.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
it appears that way.. I dug back in the guide to Thursdya night and saw that the airing I selected to record was only listed as a one hour show in the guide. Other instances were/are listed at 2 hours. I selected a 2 hour airing that aired early this AM. It should be waiting for me when I get home.
It was definitely 2 hours. I finished it last night. If you didn't pad the recording to end late, then a tiny bit of the end might be cutoff. I recorded a rerun w/padding to catch the rest.

I didn't think this special was awesome but was definitely better than decent. There was a lot of footage and some recordings (on record) that I'd never heard nor seen before. It was interesting to see the TOS cast from back in the 70s...

Last edited by cwerdna : 12-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
It was definitely 2 hours. I finished it last night. If you didn't pad the recording to end late, then a tiny bit of the end might be cutoff. I recorded a rerun w/padding to catch the rest.

I didn't think this special was awesome but was definitely better than decent. There was a lot of footage and some recording (on record) that I'd never heard nor seen before. It was interesting to see the TOS cast from back in the 70s...
I didn't pad it.

The original recording I got was only one hour, but I am guessing they really aired all of it and the TiVo simply stopped "on-time" because the guide daya was bad.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
nirisahn

I should stop in the what's playing forum more often. I would never know about stuff like this if I didn't. Recording set.

Edit: TiVo.com does not play nicely with Firefox. I had to use IE. *shudder*

Last edited by nirisahn : 12-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #16
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
I should stop in the what's playing forum more often. I would never know about stuff like this if I didn't. Recording set.
Heh. I think I only stumbled across it awhile ago while going thru my Star Trek keyword wish list.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post
Edit: TiVo.com does not play nicely with Firefox. I had to use IE. *shudder*
I have no problem using Firefox on tivo.com.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #18
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Watched this last night. Some good stuff, but there would have been time for a lot more good stuff if he had whittled down the 137 times he said "I didn't know my father but I'm getting to know him through Star Trek and its impact" to just once.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.

When I first tuned in I thought "Jeez, don't tell me Garret Dillahunt is in this show too." Eugene Roddenberry looks like him.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Thanks I set this up to DVR tonight..
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #21
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

It looks like it's being rerun right now even though TiVo guide data says the OAD is 2/23/13.

Recording is in progress for me right now and I haven't watched enough of it yet to be sure. It'll be rerun again once more in the next 2 weeks.