TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
DawnW

Netflix Quality is terrible!

I got another TV for the kitchen and thought I would move my Roku in there and just use the Tivo for streaming in here.

The quality of the streaming is HORRIBLE. It is fuzzy and very low quality.

The Roku streaming for the exact same show is far better and it is NOT the cable speeds as we have, on average, 27mbps and the Roku works just fine.

I am using a Tivo HD.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just how Netflix streams through the Tivo?

Dawn
DawnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
moyekj

Netflix quality is great for me (and my ISP does support SuperHD). In fact quality is better than most HD channels from Cox in my area. But I'm using series 4 units for Netflix and haven't used the old HME version for series 3 units in a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

The quality of Netflix on the TiVo should be as good or better than the Roku. I have several Roku boxes and several TiVos and use netflix on all of them.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

I assume you are attempting to connect the Tivo wirelessly? It does much better with a wired signal.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post

It does much better with a wired signal.
+1

You also have to give it a bit to adjust the signal for your bandwidth. It always looks like crap for the first 10-20 seconds.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
miller890

The last few times using Netflix the video quality kept going up and down with a black screen for 2-3 seconds while it adjusted. Occurred 20-30 times during an episode of Hemlock Grove. I tried a lower resolution video, The Stand (1994) and the same thing happened. My XL4 is hardwired with Cat-6 to a 1GB switch to a Linksys router and a newer DOSSIS 3.0 modem. Based on speed test from last night and today down/up bandwidth seems okay, but who knows what Comcast is doing with QOS as it relates to packets from Netflix.

Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

This may not apply to the TiVo Netflix client, but for my Logitech Revue Google TV client, configuring a static IP and forcing use of Google DNS servers, at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, were keys to getting good Netflix performance.

I also wonder if your switch might be causing the problems. Can you try bypassing it as a test?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

As a sanity check, try playing "Example Short 23.976" a test clip with burned-in resolution/bit-rate information burned onto each of its constituent video encodes. See how high it gets on your TiVo as compared to your Roku.

EDIT: Sorry--re-reading to the top post I see that you're (Dawn) using a TiVo HD. That clip won't show anything since the TiVo HD's Netflix player is not adaptive bit rate and is limited to 720p. It might on your Roku, if its 2nd or 3rd gen (2 XS, 2 HD, LT or HD 2500).

"
" -- hookbill

Last edited by mikeyts : 05-15-2013 at 05:22 PM.
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
EDIT: Sorry--re-reading to the top post I see that you're (Dawn) using a TiVo HD. That clip won't show anything since the TiVo HD's Netflix player is not adaptive bit rate and is limited to 720p. It might on your Roku, if its 2nd or 3rd gen (2 XS, 2 HD, LT or HD 2500).
Which probably explains why it looks so much worse than the Roku which is using adaptive bit rates.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Which probably explains why it looks so much worse than the Roku which is using adaptive bit rates.
...and can play the 1080p video encodes. Assuming that it's a 2nd gen Roku or Roku 3.

"
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
DawnW

Thank you. I will try it again and wait 30 seconds, although it sounds like it could be my older Tivo that is the issue. Playback from TV is fine.
DawnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Johncv

Or you can buy a Playstation 3.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote