TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
jjberger2134

Please advise on Sound Bar Purchase and Setup to use with TiVoHD

Hi - I am thinking about adding a Soundbar to my very basic setup. I have a TiVoHD connected via HDMI to my Samsung LCD TV (circa 2009). I also have a DVD player (standard not Blue Ray) connected via HDMI.

I have been reading about Soundbars and I am hoping to add one to enhance the very basic sound quality of the TV. I do not have the room for a full home theater setup, nor do I want the expense of one.

I have narrowed down my list to a few sound bars in the $200-$300 range, but it appears that I can't program the TiVo remote to control the volume on my leading candidate - Vizio VHT215. Basically, I went to the TiVo settings menu and under "AV" there is no listing for Vizio. Thus, it appears to me that the sound bar would not be able to be controlled by the TiVo peanut remote. All I really want to be able to just use the TiVo remote that everyone in the family is used to. I don't have a Harmony remote and if I need a second remote just for volume, I think my wife will kill me.

So a few questions - first, do people have the Vizio model and what do they think of it? Second, can the Vizio be setup with the TiVo remote - am I missing something? Finally, any other recommendation on Soundbars to fulfill my requirements above?

Thanks.
TiVoHD, lifetime (10/09)-1TB drive upgraded 5/10
jjberger2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
dishrich

You'd probably be better off with the Boston Acoustics TVee Model 25 soundbar; I just put one in for a client that just needed something simple - but that sounds good.
I also just bought one off WOOT (refurbed) last week for $140 for myself - but you should be able to find one online for less than the $300 they sell for at Best Buy.

This one does NOT even come with it's own remote - because it learns the IR codes from ANY IR remote itself. You can program the volume/mute & input selection with your existing (Tivo) remote - OR the TV remote itself. It has an optical, & a L/R phono & 3.5mm stereo analog inputs. You can simply run 1 optical cable from your LCD TV to the soundbar & you're all set; the (audio) inputs would automatically change when you switch them on the TV itself.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Pr...onAcoustics_US)

Last edited by dishrich : 09-18-2012 at 01:51 PM.
dishrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
atmuscarella

I have no personal experience with sound bars but had a friend by one when she got her first HD TV earlier this year. She ended up getting a Panasonic Plasma, blu-ray player, & sound bar. Apparently having them be one brand allows her to use the TVs remote for all three devices.

So I would check and see if Samsung makes one that would be controlled by your TV. A 2009 TV might be too old but you never now.

Good luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
MeInDallas

I have 2 Vizio sound bars. They are great for the money, and have an awesome sound, but unfortunately I have never been able to control them with my Tivo remotes. I was actually surprised at the sound that comes out of these sound bars, thats why I got the second one. I usually dont buy anything other than Sony products when it comes to TV's, but the speakers on flat screen TV's are horrible these days. The Vizio sound bars were cheap at Walmart, and the reviews were really good on them. At Walmart you can return almost anything even without a receipt, thats why I went for them. If you're looking for a sound bar you can control with the Tivo remote, you probably need to look at another brand.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
jjberger2134

Thanks for the recommendation on the BA TVee25. I will take a look at that one, but it may be a bit large. Samsung does make a soundbar but the reviews that I have seen are terrible. The Vizio seems to get the best all around reviews (especially for the money). I really can't buy it though given the need for two remotes. That is very unfortunate.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
dishrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjberger2134 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation on the BA TVee25. I will take a look at that one, but it may be a bit large.
Go to a Best Buy & look at it for yourself; I think you'll find it's NOT that large in person. The soundbar itself is not that big, & also has wall hanging slots, if you would need that.
Matter of fact, I was surprised how small the sub is - & even MORE surprised by just HOW much bass that little cube puts out! I turned up the volume on it only about 1/3; it definitely is capable of rattling the floor!
Obviously you can also be confident that something made by BA is NOT going to be junk, either.

Also another soundbar brand that works (learns) ANY other remote: (but I believe these are slightly larger than the BA's)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036ORATQ/..._df_B0036ORATQ
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
poppagene

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation on the BA TVee25. I will take a look at that one, but it may be a bit large. Samsung does make a soundbar but the reviews that I have seen are terrible. The Vizio seems to get the best all around reviews (especially for the money). I really can't buy it though given the need for two remotes. That is very unfortunate.

Any other ideas?
Why not get a tivo glo remote and use the learning feature to mimic the volume up and volume down from the vizio sound bar remote.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
Why not get a tivo glo remote and use the learning feature to mimic the volume up and volume down from the vizio sound bar remote.
That's what I was just going to say, the tivo slide remote can learn commands from another remote. Not sure if that works with the regular remote.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
jjberger2134

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
That's what I was just going to say, the tivo slide remote can learn commands from another remote. Not sure if that works with the regular remote.
Hmm...interesting idea. Currently, I have a standard remote and I don't think that it is programmable. This is something that I can look into. Do you know if the GLO is programmable to any IR device or just specific ones from a list?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
poppagene

Quote:
Hmm...interesting idea. Currently, I have a standard remote and I don't think that it is programmable. This is something that I can look into. Do you know if the GLO is programmable to any IR device or just specific ones from a list?
The tivo glo should be able to learn from any IR remote. In the case of learning from a device, you need to learn both the volume up and volume down seperately.

Last edited by poppagene : 09-18-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The tivo glo should be able to learn from any IR remote. In the case of learning from a device, you need to learn both the volume up and volume down seperately.
It can learn most but not all. I've had a couple of IR frequencies it would not learn.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #12
dishrich

Quote:
OK, so now instead of just spending $$$ on the BA soundbar, he has to then spend more $$$ on a new Tivo glo remote (w/a Vizio bar) - & this makes more sense because???

Last edited by dishrich : 09-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Torgo

I've been looking at soundbars as well, and my concern w/ the Vizio brand is that it seems that almost weekly one of the dealsites is selling refurbished Vizio soundbars.
I realize refurbs are fine, but when you see a lot of a specific brand/model, I wonder if their failure rate is higher than others...

(Like I said..just a concern, I'm sure we'll hear about everyone who has one that works fine for the next week..TCF style)
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
swerver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post
OK, so now instead of just spending $$$ on the BA soundbar, he has to then spend more $$$ on a new Tivo glo remote (w/a Vizio bar) - & this makes more sense because???
Well, if you have a tivo you should have a slide remote anyway, it's great. Also it's only $40. How much extra is that BA setup again? It's just an option anyway, he can decide what makes the most sense for him.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I've been looking at soundbars as well, and my concern w/ the Vizio brand is that it seems that almost weekly one of the dealsites is selling refurbished Vizio soundbars.
I realize refurbs are fine, but when you see a lot of a specific brand/model, I wonder if their failure rate is higher than others...

(Like I said..just a concern, I'm sure we'll hear about everyone who has one that works fine for the next week..TCF style)
I wondered about that myself when I bought mine, I noticed the same thing about all the refurbs listed everywhere. I dont know if all soundbars are this way, it was the first issue I had ran across when I got the first one, but the Vizio soundbar will only work if you have a PCM output on your DVR or TV. You know where you go into the Tivo and change the Dolby output to PCM. My TV's do not have that option, so if I'm just using the TV with like an antenna and no Tivo, then the soundbar is completely useless. I wonder if this resulted in a high return rate of these soundbars. That was just my guess about it. So far I've had good luck with mine, but like everything else, that could change in a matter of hours.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
poppagene

Quote:
A used glo or slide remote on ebay or amazon isn't a lot to get a remote that works for the purpose. You should'nt have to limit the soundbar you buy by what works with the remote that came with your tivo.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #17
lrhorer

Quote:
Well, I can't speak to the sound bar issue, but in general one can obtain a better system by spending more money. It is not always true, but one usually gets the quality for which one pays. Certainly in the case of the glo remote, I can say I have never found a better dedicated remote and almost never found a better remote of any sort - including some very expensive universal remotes. It's well worth the money just for its performance, suitability for use with any sound device aside. I think it likely the OP would be pleased with the glo remote, regardless of what sound bar he might decide to purchase.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
takeshi

Quote:
"Makes sense" is subjective. If the OP thinks the BA is too big (and therefore not relevant) and wants to stick with Vizio and one remote then it makes sense. Don't just assume that your preferences are universal.

Quote:
If you're going to use refurbs as an indicator if failure rate then you need to consider the volume of the company's sales -- not just the number of refurbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Well, if you have a tivo you should have a slide remote anyway, it's great.
Yet another subjective matter. I have a Tivo and have no need for a slide remote. Be careful using "you" where you should be using "I".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well, I can't speak to the sound bar issue, but in general one can obtain a better system by spending more money. It is not always true, but one usually gets the quality for which one pays.
In general but I wouldn't recommend operating solely on price. Shop on whatever happens to be better (one of those highly subjective words) for you considering needs/preference/budget/etc. In addition to not always being true there tends to be a curve instead of a linear relationship where the return on investment diminishes as price increases.

Last edited by takeshi : 09-20-2012 at 07:12 AM.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have a Sony soundbar from four years ago that works very well. It handles, DD, DTS and 7.1 PCM. It has worked very well. I'm sure they have a newer one now and it might even handle DD+ or better. That is my only complaint. Most soundbars don't handle the advanced codecs, it would be nice if mine at least handled DD+, but that was not an option several years ago with the sound bars.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
Torgo

Well, for $38 shipped after rebate this is worth a shot
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...I2oGFeevifZtsA
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
mr.unnatural

Roxio currently has a deal on the Tivo Glo remote for $15.94 including shipping:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5216556-Tivo...Shipping-15-94
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #22
mr.unnatural

Quote:

FYI - refurbs may just be customer returns or open box items that were never damaged or defective. The major downside of refurbed products is that they have a limited warranty (usually 90 days or less). Quality speakers tend to have warranties of five years or better last time I checked. Then again, the deal at Tiger Direct is pretty sweet for the money. I've never auditioned a soundbar but I suspect the sound quality isn't anywhere near what I'm used to in a home theater system. Audio quality is highly subective and truly in the ears of the beholder. If you've listened to an item and it sounds good to you and the price is right then I say go for it.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Roxio currently has a deal on the Tivo Glo remote for $15.94 including shipping:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5216556-Tivo...Shipping-15-94
Well worth it for any TiVo owner, if you ask me. I have not tried the slide remote, and I am given to understand it is pretty nice, but $15 for a glo remote is an outstanding value.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #24
lrhorer

Quote:
FYI - refurbs may just be customer returns or open box items that were never damaged or defective. The major downside of refurbed products is that they have a limited warranty (usually 90 days or less).
Yes, but most failures, including refurbs, are either going to be inside that 90 days or else outside the ordinary warranty. There is of course a chance the refurb will fail 91 days after purchase, but given the lower cost, it is not usually much of a risk.

Quote:
I've never auditioned a soundbar but I suspect the sound quality isn't anywhere near what I'm used to in a home theater system.
Yeah, me either, but some people cannot afford the cost or the space, or both.

Quote:
If you've listened to an item and it sounds good to you and the price is right then I say go for it.
Agreed.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
poppagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Well worth it for any TiVo owner, if you ask me. I have not tried the slide remote, and I am given to understand it is pretty nice, but $15 for a glo remote is an outstanding value.
The slide is smaller and heavier. There are trade offs with the glo. Both have streangths and weaknesses. If the poster wants a remote that is nearly identical to the tivo peanut and can work with the vizio soundbar, the glo remote is the way to go.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #26
dishrich

Quote:
Well, for $38 shipped after rebate this is worth a shot
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...I2oGFeevifZtsA
You DID notice this one does NOT come with any subwoofer...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

What good is a soundbar without a subwoofer?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
rlcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What good is a soundbar without a subwoofer?
Also, the person who recommended the BA soundbar talked about connecting the soundbar to the TV with an optical cable.

The OP should know that with a Samsung TV (certainly for 2009, maybe now as well), the TV's sound output is only old-fashioned stereo (not even 2.1) if the sound source is from outside the TV.

In other words, if a TiVo, blu-ray player, etc. is feeding audio (even full surround) to the TV, all the TV will output -- even over optical -- is plain old stereo. The only time the TV would be outputting more than plain old stereo is if the TV is receiving the signal (so if the TV was tuning an OTA or clear QAM signal then it would output full surround over optical).

If the OP wants the soundbar to extract 2.1 from a surround signal (rather than just working with plain old stereo) he will have to connect the TiVo, blu-ray, etc. to the soundbar, rather than driving the soundbar from the TV.
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
dishrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
Also, the person who recommended the BA soundbar talked about connecting the soundbar to the TV with an optical cable.

The OP should know that with a Samsung TV (certainly for 2009, maybe now as well), the TV's sound output is only old-fashioned stereo (not even 2.1) if the sound source is from outside the TV.
But since the soundbar itself is ONLY 2.1 - what diff does THIS make???

And to correct you...while the TV's sound output is "old fashioned" stereo - it STILL has the same base information in that same (PCM) signal. The soundbar simply routes the base freqs to its subwoofer - so you are ARE, in fact, still getting the base information needed to run the sub properly. I assure you with this setup, there IS very much bass information there...

Last edited by dishrich : 09-25-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #30
rlcarr

As for why it could matter -- I would imagine (hope?) that a 2.1 channel audio system would make intelligent use of 5.1 (or 6.1 or...) sound information to produce the best 2.1 output it can. And such an input signal would give it more information to work with than a two-channel input signal.

Anyhow, here's what a Samsung 2010 manual for Series 750 TVs says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung
When the receiver (home theater) is set to on, you can hear sound output from the TV’s optical jack. When the TV is receiving a DTV signal, the TV will send 5.1 CH sound to the home theater receiver.

When the source is a digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB (Set-Top-Box) satellite receiver and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 CH audio will be heard from the home theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 CH audio, connect the digital audio out jack from your DVD / Blu-ray player / cable box / STB satellite receiver directly to an amplifier or home theater
And discussions in Samsung TV forums have said exactly the same thing. If you want more than two channels of sound to be fed into your soundbar/surround system/etc., you have to feed the sound in directly from the source and not via the TV.
rlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote