TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #121
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The buffer still gets lost when a recording starts even if you are watching the same channel as the recording.
That's been my experience as well.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #122
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I agree this is a font size issue in my opinion.
Then, you're not really looking at the screen shots.

1. The text wraps at the same points.
2. It continues to line up with non-text elements in the same way. (E.g., the line under the CC icon comes to the middle of the third line of text in each pair.)
3. There is obvious empty space in the "after" shots that isn't there in the "before".

This is either a bug, or a misfeature (as in the above suggestion of reserving space for an ad (shudder)).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #123
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHunter1 View Post

After the v20.3.1 update, the Replay function no longer works properly once the "Keep-or-Delete" dialog appears at the end of a recording.

I like how pressing Replay now returns the program to the point when Left was pressed rather than 8 seconds prior. Although it could be improved by not having the brief blip of black screen.

I don't like how neither Replay nor Rewind work at all if the Keep-or-Delete dialog appeared on its own because a show ended. And I consistently get a black background after dismissing the Keep-or-Delete dialog which used to be just a random occurrence.
Switch to the HDUI. I have not seen this on my boxes using the HDUI.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #124
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Then, you're not really looking at the screen shots.

1. The text wraps at the same points.
2. It continues to line up with non-text elements in the same way. (E.g., the line under the CC icon comes to the middle of the third line of text in each pair.)
3. There is obvious empty space in the "after" shots that isn't there in the "before".

This is either a bug, or a misfeature (as in the above suggestion of reserving space for an ad (shudder)).
From the pictures it just looks like they only have three lines of text now instead of four for the description. Which is why the last line and part of the third line is cut off now.

I don't see it as big deal. They probably changed it from four to three lines for some reason.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #125
Darkev

That's the thing. We don't know much about the complaints they get from customers, internal software issues that may affect memory, issues that happen because something appearing to be unrelated was changed but affects other things, staffing issues they have with finding good people to do their programming, issues they have due to limitations of the hardware in the machine, and many more. It's easy for us to criticize, not knowing the triggers that cause the glitches. Hopefully they will release a new update in a month that will fix the new bugs.
Darkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #126
JWhites

But even if all that is true, someone at TiVo should have noticed these blatant issues and put a nix on the release. I'd rather have one excellent update a year then multiple screwy updates that require constant fixing. I'm starting to think I should compare this to Microsoft's "patch Tuesday"
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #127
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
But even if all that is true, someone at TiVo should have noticed these blatant issues and put a nix on the release. I'd rather have one excellent update a year then multiple screwy updates that require constant fixing. I'm starting to think I should compare this to Microsoft's "patch Tuesday"
Having three lines of text in the info box instead of four is not a "blatant" issue. In fact, it's not an issue at all.
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #128
lpwcomp

Two problems haven't been fixed by this update:

1. Closed captions missing on files downloaded to TiVo, even .tivo files which do have captions if d/l'd to a THD.

2. Categories does not get set unless the TiVo gets data based on the programId. Otherwise, if any are present in the metadata, it gets set to "Separator".

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #129
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentiallyCoherent View Post
Having three lines of text in the info box instead of four is not a "blatant" issue. In fact, it's not an issue at all.
It may not be an issue for you but for those who use it it is since it was not this way prior to the update and affects usability and functionality of the product by not being able to read a large portion of the program description as easily, without a reason why (that we know of yet, if ever). New software is suppose to enhance the experience and fix things, not make it worse by introducing new problems that then too will need to be fixed. It would end up becoming a never ending cycle of fixing and fixing the fixes that fix the fixes.

Last edited by JWhites : 05-18-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #130
JWhites

With the Fall 2012 update, I've come across that 5 lines of information can be shown before it truncates the sixth line with an ellipse as both images demonstrate.
Program info:
Highslide JS
Full program info:
Highslide JS

This Spring 2013 update cut this in half down to 3 lines.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #131
jrtroo
User

Being different does not indicate its was unintentional.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #132
mrsean

I'm glad that the slow channel changing issue has been resolved because I know from first hand experience that channel surfers were not impressed with the Premiere. I could not get my good friend to buy one for that reason alone.

Retired: DirecTiVo, Series 2 DT, TiVo HD, Premiere, Premiere 4, TiVo Stream
mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #133
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I enjoy the new streamlined info screen. It's much better without a fourth description line cluttering up my TiVo experience. Thank you TiVo, keep up the good work.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #134
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I enjoy the new streamlined info screen. It's much better without a fourth description line cluttering up my TiVo experience. Thank you TiVo, keep up the good work.
LOL

Perhaps they should shorten it to one line.... or even a few words, that would be REALLY streamlined.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #135
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
I'm glad that the slow channel changing issue has been resolved because I know from first hand experience that channel surfers were not impressed with the Premiere. I could not get my good friend to buy one for that reason alone.
Channel surfing has always been an issue with Tivo because it takes about 2 seconds to buffer and display for every channel change.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #136
ADG
Allan

Selecting a show to record from the guide no longer momentarily blacks out the PIP - it's now seamless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #137
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
I've never understood this vestigial tail issue with a Tivo, it was one thing to use the channel up and down buttons when you had at most 20 channels, but with hundreds of channels spread all over the spectrum, surfing by guide just makes so much more sense to me, the only time I use the CH up and down buttons is as page buttons in the menu.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #138
Drewster
Shooting blanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I've had some issues with Netflix after the update. I thought hitting the up or left arrow key buttons would take you out of the show you are watching and back out to the main Netflix screen. That hasn't been working for me. The only way I've been able to bail at the end of an episode is to hit the TiVo button, which takes you all the way back out to the TiVo screen. Not a problem if you are done watching, but if you want to watch another episode you are stuck with having to Netflix all over again; which is taking 45 seconds for me these days.

Pause and play buttons also seem a bit strange. They are not always honored; or only honored after a long delay (well beyond the delay we are used to). TiVo is receiving the commands because the light on the box blinks immediately every time.
This happened to me this morning. We do a lot of NetFlix streaming on the box, so I'm hoping it was a momentary lapse in the NetFlix app. (IIRC it loads the app over the Internet.)
Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #139
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I've never understood this vestigial tail issue with a Tivo, it was one thing to use the channel up and down buttons when you had at most 20 channels,
Some people today only have at most 20 channels.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #140
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Some people today only have at most 20 channels.
I don't wish to jump the rails, but even with 200+ channels, my Favorites that you can scan (surf) is about 20. I can understand using the TiVo as a tuner, and while I think it's a great tuner, the guide is a zillion times better. Watching live TV still works for surfing and there is still a delay between channels. I frequently record two shows on my regular Premiere while watching live TV. Ever since digital TV people have complained about the slow startup and slow channel change compared to analog. Now when I turn on my TV it gets a picture in under 5 seconds. But until all the internal housekeeping is finished it can take 30 seconds. I can live with it. If people had to watch a screen being built block by block they would complain about that instead. Such is life.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #141
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
1. Closed captions missing on files downloaded to TiVo, even .tivo files which do have captions if d/l'd to a THD.
But you know there is a workaround to get it working for series 4 units (using pyTivo and ts=on).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #142
cherry ghost

Quote:
The buffer still gets lost when a recording starts even if you are watching the same channel as the recording.
Not for me
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #143
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
But you know there is a workaround to get it working for series 4 units (using pyTivo and ts=on).
Not for me since it requires a more recent version of ffmpeg which requires a more recent O/S.(I'm still on Win2k)

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #144
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Not for me
I've tested this twice; recording on two tuners at the same time and just one and both times the buffer was lost.
Maybe there's a difference between 2 tuner models and 4 tuner models.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #145
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Me either I just checked tonight. I went live to a channel that was recording about 2 minutes after it started and the full 30 buffer was there and I could reverse back into the previous show.
This doesn't even make sense.

The buffer is lost (and always has been) when a recording starts and the Tivo (or now with multi tuner tivos, tuner) is not on live tv. If however, you were watching live tv from within the buffer, a recording could start while you finished watching whatever was in the buffer and the buffer would be available for as long as the recording was being made or until you exited live tv (or left that tuner). Now, if you are watching live tv from within the buffer and a recording starts on that tuner, the buffer is immediately lost and you find yourself watching what is being recorded - or some of us do anyway.

If you are recording something and go to live tv and you are not watching what's being recorded, you are on another tuner watching that tuners buffer.

Last edited by scandia101 : 05-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #146
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Being different does not indicate its was unintentional.
But it does indicate it's unwanted and/or unnecessary despite what the troublemakers may prefer.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #147
JWhites

Well good for you scandia101.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #148
compnurd

Quote:
I just went through every single channel in my favorites and couldn't find one show truncated on the info screen. Maybe they dropped the line because almost no shows take up a forth
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #149
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I've never understood this vestigial tail issue with a Tivo, it was one thing to use the channel up and down buttons when you had at most 20 channels, but with hundreds of channels spread all over the spectrum, surfing by guide just makes so much more sense to me, the only time I use the CH up and down buttons is as page buttons in the menu.
I keep native on so channel surfing is not possible
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #150
MeInDallas

Has anyone else noticed that suggestions started populating again? I just checked mine to see if I needed to unplug the tuning adapter to get more, and the screen is full of them. Went in to check the other one and it was the same thing, 3-1/2 pages of them.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote