TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #901
jmpage2

Hmm... well that sucks. I told it to record first only episodes of "Continuum" and keep 10. I went to watch the 2nd season a week or so ago and saw that it had blown out the latest five episodes.

I've been having episode deletion issues for some time now, but my understanding was that 20.3.1 had fixed the problem.

Oh well.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #902
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Hmm... well that sucks. I told it to record first only episodes of "Continuum" and keep 10. I went to watch the 2nd season a week or so ago and saw that it had blown out the latest five episodes.

I've been having episode deletion issues for some time now, but my understanding was that 20.3.1 had fixed the problem.

Oh well.
You can't "fix" Continuum anymore than you can "fix" Motive on ABC or Primeval on SyFy. These are Canadian imports with an on air date in the past. For the most accurate listings use Zap2It. It uses TMS for data also, but TiVo has special rules. Maybe it's Globalization.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #903
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I am on 20.3.1, but I'm still occasionally having TiVo delete recordings I haven't watched. It's pretty damn frustrating (it just deleted five new episodes of a show even though I had told it to record 10).

I have 94% free space on my 2TB Elite. Rather unacceptable.

Anyone else still have recordings spontaneously deleting?
I do. It happens sometimes even well below 60% drive usage (of a 2TB drive). I have TiVo Suggestions disabled, and clear my thumb ratings every time I reboot (in case I accidentally hit a thumb button, since I don't use them on purpose).

I'm a bit saddened, that something others HAVE reported gets dismissed, by a few people I consider to be what rhymes with "rolls".

I have a few ideas on why this happens, and how (as well as many speculations). I've learned if I share them, the usual people will start lobbing out the napalm, then accuse me of making the thread go sideways.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #904
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
You can't "fix" Continuum anymore than you can "fix" Motive on ABC or Primeval on SyFy. These are Canadian imports with an on air date in the past. For the most accurate listings use Zap2It. It uses TMS for data also, but TiVo has special rules. Maybe it's Globalization.
In the TiVo guide they show as "new" episodes (as they are airing for the 1st time in the US) so, yes, there is some problem going on that needs to be "fixed".

If I tell my TiVo to keep 10 episodes, and when I go in to the series folder it only has 5, and I have tons of free space on my TiVo, something is jacked up.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #905
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I was very surprised that TiVo did not release another update like they did last time, to fix the issues with 20.3.1. This update was most likely rushed to get MLB.tv on the Premiere before the baseball season was over, still no excuse, but that was their priority and TiVo probably took what they considered was a working beta release candidate, and pushed it out anyway. I am still betting we see another update in Aug or Sept.
I agree. Sorry for the tone of the other post, which you replied to in the quoted clip, above. The bad days are exceeding the decent days by a larger margin, and good days are just memories...

We all have bad days. I apologize for it setting the tone of some of that post.

This is only an apology to you. It's your thread. When I feel a whole thread's participants deserve an apology, I have gone that far.

-now, back to our regularly scheduled thread....
Old 08-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #906
morac
Cat God

Quote:

In the TiVo guide they show as "new" episodes (as they are airing for the 1st time in the US) so, yes, there is some problem going on that needs to be "fixed".

If I tell my TiVo to keep 10 episodes, and when I go in to the series folder it only has 5, and I have tons of free space on my TiVo, something is jacked up.
TiVo records "new" season passes based on the original air date. Continuum's original starting air date for the this season is April 2013, while Syfy starting airing them in June, so they aren't "new". So the TiVo didn't delete your recordings. It never recorded them in the first place as they aren't "new". The "new" in My Shows doesn't really appear to be "new" as I've seen repeats with the (R) in e description, marked as "new" in My Shows.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #907
lpwcomp

Quote:
You are mistaken. They don't show up as "New" in the TiVo guide. The absence of the "R" flag is not the same as "New". TiVo uses the OAD to determine whether or not an episode is "New". Doesn't matter one way or the other that this is the first US airing.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #908
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:

Which ones? You must have a special zipcode or my guide is broken. Tonight Continuum is not shown as new except on tvguide.com, titantv.com and Zap2It.com. I don't use WMC so I can't check that.

The TiVo description shows 7/7/13 as the OAD for Continuum, so it falls under the lunar rule?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #909
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
TiVo records "new" season passes based on the original air date. Continuum's original starting air date for the this season is April 2013, while Syfy starting airing them in June, so they aren't "new". So the TiVo didn't delete your recordings. It never recorded them in the first place as they aren't "new". The "new" in My Shows doesn't really appear to be "new" as I've seen repeats with the (R) in e description, marked as "new" in My Shows.
You are mistaken. The episodes were there, I just hadn't gotten around to watching them. I noticed that the # of recorded episodes went from 8 to 3 and sure enough the most recent 5 had been deleted.

All I know about them being "new" is that TiVo placed a "new" tag on them and it normally only does that with 1st time airing of episodes that I've noticed.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #910
jmpage2

Quote:
Which ones? You must have a special zipcode or my guide is broken. Tonight Continuum is not shown as new except on tvguide.com, titantv.com and Zap2It.com. I don't use WMC so I can't check that.
I am on Comcast, Denver suburbs, and certainly the episodes, at least for some period of time were showing as "new".
Old 08-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #911
jmpage2

So, it sounds like a potential explanation for the problem (at least in this particular case) is this;

1. Initially for Season 1, Continuum episodes were flagged "new" in the guide data.
2. I set up a season pass to record "new" episodes and keep 10.
3. Episodes stopped getting flagged as "new".
4. Some of the episodes were suggestions and ended up getting deleted.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #912
MPSAN

Rich, I sent you an email if the old addy is still good!
Old 08-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #913
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
So, it sounds like a potential explanation for the problem (at least in this particular case) is this;

1. Initially for Season 1, Continuum episodes were flagged "new" in the guide data.
That is an outstanding explanation and the most logical.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #914
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
That is an outstanding explanation and the most logical.
Now that more details of the problem currently in discussion which have emerged.

1. It was still wrong for people to just say "nope, never", without knowing more (and didn't even ask for more). While a few emoticons set those aside that were being satirical, it's still not the best way to help anybody...

2. I now know that I know the issue well, which is unrelated to my own ones...

I missed the first "new" episode of BBC's Being Human, even though my season pass was set to record new & repeats. I then tried setting it to everything. It still wouldn't schedule the show's upcoming episodes. Then I deleted, and created a new SP, still the same. I finally just manually scheduled each one, then check for new ones as I watch the ones I had to manually record.

The best I can come up with is it -could be- a reverse scenario, of how the whole slew of Discovery Channel Network channels, games our TiVos into recording episodes that we've already recorded 50 times (some maybe even the same week), by apparently, deliberately, moving the OAD ahead, each airing, or other underhanded measures, that tweak the data the TiVo relies upon to record what it should, and not record the rest.

BBC, SyFy, and a handful of others are just too unreliable for me to trust a SP will record what I want. I now repeatedly check for this, and resort to manual recording, if the show is that important to me.

I don't think we can pin this on TiVo, or this update. I do think TiVo needs to threaten the suppliers of guide data and/or their suppliers, with their legal might. If this is allowed to get much worse (either way, with Discovery Networks, or channels that want us, or try to force us, to watch Live), some of the best reasons left to own a TiVo will evaporate.

The OAD, under "explore this show" episode list says these "new" programs OAD was nearly a year ago. The manual recordings didn't include the OAD in the program information, at all. I always knew about the OAD on BBC meaning OAD overseas. It's just never been such a headache, until now.

Is there any proof this may have been made worse by this update?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #915
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Which ones? You must have a special zipcode or my guide is broken. Tonight Continuum is not shown as new....
My TiVo info CLEARLY indicates it's a NEW ep in the TO DO LIST; however, in the guide, it does not...

Last edited by Bierboy : 08-02-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #916
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:

That was not the case....they were repeats from the very first episode because I distinctly remember setting up an SP for new only, and none were being picked up from the very first one.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #917
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
My TiVo info CLEARLY indicates it's a NEW ep in the TO DO LIST; however, in the guide, it does not...
That's amazing. I hope by next Friday the next episode on the To Do List changes to "new" also. Zap2It shows it as "new" already. I bet it will not since the OAD will be past the lunar logic for some reason even though the episode number does increment.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #918
lpwcomp

The thing is, that the TiVo uses different criteria for:

1. Flagging "NEW" in the guide

2."NEW" in the ToDo list and NPL

3. Selection by an FRO SP.

Episodes with series "generic" guide data will quite often be added to the ToDo by an FRO SP. Most of the time, reruns will eventually get correct guide data and be removed from the ToDo. I see this all of the time with "Robot Chicken". I think it likely that what is initially missing is the programId, but that is just a (S)WAG and I could very well be wrong in my conjecture.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #919
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That was not the case....they were repeats from the very first episode because I distinctly remember setting up an SP for new only, and none were being picked up from the very first one.
Well, I had them in the program folder marked "new" and I don't normally see that for non first run aired.

The case or not, my episodes got deleted... the most likely explanation being that it was taping them as suggestions, etc, instead of recording the series like I asked it to do.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #920
timstack8969

When will we see a Software Update? because I thought the problem was my Cable card but Comcast sent an update a few weeks ago and I'm still receiving "Black Screens" and "Channel Not Available" messages when tuning.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #921
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by timstack8969 View Post
When will we see a Software Update? because I thought the problem was my Cable card but Comcast sent an update a few weeks ago and I'm still receiving "Black Screens" and "Channel Not Available" messages when tuning.
Later this month or early September is the expected release of the "Fall Update" based on a blog post from one of TiVo's partners (RCN).
sbiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #922
brentil

Of note the Flash codename "quattro" matches with the newer versions of the Linux opensource code released by TiVo. They have 3 versions of the code available.
  • Quattro 1.9
  • Quattro 2.0
  • Quattro 2.1

However the version listed in the new live version is Quattro 2.3 so it looks like the latest code for newer versions hasn't made it to the opensource page yet.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #923
MPSAN

New issue...

While playing a recorded show, the show would freeze a few times and move on. A second or 2 later it would do the same, and then the rest of the show would be fine. I have seen this before but assumed it was the station. However, last night when I saw it again I hit the 8 second rewind a few times. It went right thru that spot just fine, and did not do this again. I want to just ignore this for now and hope the new software, whenever it is released, will "fix" this. This is a fairly new XL4, and do not want to exchange it if there is nothing wrong with it, so I am asking the group about this.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #924
jrtroo
User

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416062

Look under "What is wrong with my Tivo" section. I would at least give them a call so its logged in their system.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #925
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416062

Look under "What is wrong with my Tivo" section. I would at least give them a call so its logged in their system.
OK, I will at least let them know!

***UPDATE***

They are aware of the audio issues but noted my stutter issue.

Last edited by MPSAN : 08-08-2013 at 02:56 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #926
jeff92k7

Does anyone have any news on when the next software update might be available?

We recently cut the cord and I've been trying to work out antenna reception issues with my TiVos, but the bug that causes the signal meter to freeze makes it nearly impossible to effectively troubleshoot. I can't simply plug the antenna into a TV since the signal meters are different and the TV tuner isn't as susceptible to multi-path interference. I really need to tune my antenna setup with the TiVo.

I called TiVo a few days ago to complain and they added me to whatever magic list they have regarding the problem, but they wouldn't provide any info on when I could expect a resolution.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM   #927
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
Does anyone have any news on when the next software update might be available?

We recently cut the cord and I've been trying to work out antenna reception issues with my TiVos, but the bug that causes the signal meter to freeze makes it nearly impossible to effectively troubleshoot. I can't simply plug the antenna into a TV since the signal meters are different and the TV tuner isn't as susceptible to multi-path interference. I really need to tune my antenna setup with the TiVo.

I called TiVo a few days ago to complain and they added me to whatever magic list they have regarding the problem, but they wouldn't provide any info on when I could expect a resolution.
A friend of mine received an email from TiVo Margret hinting at a Fall 2013 update. "In cases where issues appear resolved on Roamio, you should expect they will probably be addressed in the next update to Premiere." and "The issue with descriptions in the channel banner truncating after three lines should be fixed in the Fall update that is coming to Premiere"

Keywords should and probably
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #928
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
A friend of mine received an email from TiVo Margret hinting at a Fall 2013 update. "In cases where issues appear resolved on Roamio, you should expect they will probably be addressed in the next update to Premiere." and "The issue with descriptions in the channel banner truncating after three lines should be fixed in the Fall update that is coming to Premiere"

Keywords should and probably
And the really unfortunate bit that talks about fixes already in the Roamio - what about the bug Roamio still has that weren't fixed from the Premiere (like losing channels all the time).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #929
JWhites

Essentially from what I've heard, the UI for the Premiere and the UI for the Roamio are the same, both using Adobe Air (Flash), only the Roamio has a beefier processor and has a different color scheme. (not talking about any applications) I think this might be a good thing on the engineering and developmental side because hopefully now it will be easier to improve and update things and add new features with both the Premiere and Roamio at the same time, and with fingers crossed, roll over onto the Premiere. It's also a good thing for users already familiar with the HDUI introduced with the Premiere when picking up a Roamio so there isn't as steep -if any- of a learning curve. I wouldn't be surprised of the Series 6 and above also will use the same HDUI layout, judging by the fact that the same SDUI has been used in the Series 1, 2, 3, HD, Premiere, and I think the Roamio as well, though not in the same manner.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #930
jmpage2

I think it is highly unlikely that the Premiere gets much in the way of updates from here on out. It clearly lacks the muscle needed for HTML5 apps.