TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #61
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim316 View Post
got the update today an hour or so ago.the channel tuning problem hasnt gone away.
im still getting paused or black screens on random channels.i have to channel up and back down a few times to get the missing channel to appear.BIG DISAPPOINTMENT WITH TIVO!!!
+1
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #62
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim316 View Post
got the update today an hour or so ago.the channel tuning problem hasnt gone away.
im still getting paused or black screens on random channels.i have to channel up and back down a few times to get the missing channel to appear.BIG DISAPPOINTMENT WITH TIVO!!!
Someone else has posted several times this may be a firmware issue with Cisco Cable cards and a firmware update from Cisco Specifically addressed this issue
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #63
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Using page up/down in the guide seems very fast now.

Transitioning from full screen tv to the guide and back, I no longer have audio dropouts from the live TV sound.
That alone, to me, is worth the update...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #64
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
...New (I think): The font seems bigger for what's recording on the other tuners (via the Info button).

Bug: (intermittent) screen flickers when exiting out of the guide when watching TV....
Font is definitely bigger for what's recording on the other tuners.
No flicker here on exit from guide.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #65
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That alone, to me, is worth the update...
I'm still seeing this so I'm not quite sure it was actually taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
I am not sure this is the Spring update and may be a primer/bug update. Usually Margret lately is all over twitter when there is a update.. I have asked her
I've been corresponding with her via email the past few days but haven't heard back from her since Wednesday. I'm really hoping that this is what you say it is as a primer and not the actual Spring update since the truncated program description alone makes watching aggregating and I'm not sure I'd be able to wait until the Fall 2013 update (if there even is one) without me jumping off of a very tall building. Is this common for them to release a primer updates? Then again I would wonder why they'd even release this in the first place if it wasn't there intention to call it the Spring 2013 update. Next month is June and usually that leans more towards the Summer.

Last edited by JWhites : 05-17-2013 at 10:19 AM.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #66
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
But the real question is: Does this fix the random "channel not authorized" messages I get for no apparent reason (which usually require me to reboot the unit to get the channels back)?
This is something I'm wondering too. But I'm afraid to do anything because I've actually had about 5 good weeks.

Only twice, in the last several weeks, have I had a channel go away, but only momentarily. The first time it paused itself, changed to black, banner saying 'not authorized, etc' went up, then it was back. Second time it happened I switched tuners and went back, and all was well again. That was a relief as I was getting geared up for another major hassle, or knowing that it was baaaack. This is the worst Tivo problem I've had in 9+ years. Well, maybe second to when my Series 2 Tivos both stopped being able to properly channel change at the same time and nobody could figure that out so I finally replaced them with Premieres.

BTW, I don't have the adapter OR cable co that another poster mentioned as the source of the problem. I think this has been a Tivo software problem because a lot of us have been having it, with various equipment and cable companies.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #67
JWhites

This isn't a Comcast issue but a cablecard firmware issue. Everyone who has mentioned having this problem on both threads never seem to report back as to if they are using a Cisco or Scientific Atlanta cablecard or not. I lean towards it being the cablecard firmware issue since it's description sounds exactly like the issue that was addressed in the firmware update that people on other forums were having on Moxi's and Cisco set top boxes and home theater PC's all of which were using the same cablecard manufacturer.

Last edited by JWhites : 05-17-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #68
JWhites

More customers need to call into TiVo tech support in order for TiVo engineers to start addressing these problems we're having.

Last edited by JWhites : 05-17-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #69
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
This is something I'm wondering too. But I'm afraid to do anything because I've actually had about 5 good weeks.

Only twice, in the last several weeks, have I had a channel go away, but only momentarily. The first time it paused itself, changed to black, banner saying 'not authorized, etc' went up, then it was back. Second time it happened I switched tuners and went back, and all was well again. That was a relief as I was getting geared up for another major hassle, or knowing that it was baaaack. This is the worst Tivo problem I've had in 9+ years. Well, maybe second to when my Series 2 Tivos both stopped being able to properly channel change at the same time and nobody could figure that out so I finally replaced them with Premieres.

BTW, I don't have the adapter OR cable co that another poster mentioned as the source of the problem. I think this has been a Tivo software problem because a lot of us have been having it, with various equipment and cable companies.
So you have a Motorola Cable Card?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #70
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I'm still seeing this so I'm not quite sure it was actually taken care of...
It's been fixed when you switch between the program guide and fullscreen live. However, when you jump to the NPL or TDL and back, the audio dropout is still there....though it's definitely not as bad as it was.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #71
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
So you have a Motorola Cable Card?
Put me down as having a Motorola M-Card for a year. Never lost a channel, never had a channel up/down issue and after changing service to exclude a big block of channels there were no issues.

My cable feed has no PSIP and 99% no SCTE-127. Signal is good, no SDV, and the cable drop for the TiVo does not go through any splitters or amplifiers, with SNR the same as my TV and three other DVRs. I still have 26 analog and 140 clear QAM channels with all "locals" in HD. The TiVo, through the cable card, gets 300+ HD channels.

All cable is local. The "real release" will probably be 20.3.1.1 if TiVo is consistant.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #72
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

All cable is local.
you sure love saying that in any thread on any forum. you should make t-shirts.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #73
RojCowles

Things I noticed

Got the update last night on one of our Premieres, I noticed a couple of things

SD Menu: Deleting programs in a folder using the Clear button no longer skips a line. Fixed
SD Menu: Manually scheduled programs from a Wishlist don't seem to show in the My Shows list as well as the Wishlist folder. Fixed
SD: Menus still seem snappy and responsive, even using Channel Up/Down to page through Wishlist View Upcoming results so yay! there. Not broken

Still some issues though. I watch a lot of the CNET/Revision 3 online videos and the behavior of the Tivo seems flakey when these videos start or end, i.e.
  • Audio is muted initially when I hit play but comes back if I use the 8 second back-skip or let the video run for 15- 30 seconds.
  • My Shows background is sometimes black when the show completes. Fixable by hitting the Tivo button a couple of times.
  • All audio from Tivo sometimes distorted when the show finishes. Might be a HDMI issue with the TV (Cheapo Zenith ... ) rather than the Tivo though as turning the TV Off/On always fixes it
  • Play all videos in a folder and on completion returns to a random location in the My Shows list so you have to click up/down the list to find the folder again if I want to delete it.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #74
compnurd

Quote:
More customers need to call into TiVo tech support in order for TiVo engineers to start addressing these problems we're having.
I am not having any issues and not having any issues with this update... if this updated last week in the background i would have no clue something was done
Old 05-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #75
JWhites

Quote:
I am not having any issues and not having any issues with this update... if this updated last week in the background i would have no clue something was done
The most pressing issue is the program description being truncated when using the HDUI in the channel bar for no reason.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #76
jhilla

Big Grin not yet for me... (1) more day left.

Quote:
Unless your added your TSN to the priority download page this update has not or will not hit your box.. I added my TSN yesterday, it says it will take 3 days. I have tried several manual connections to get the update but has not prompted a reboot yet. By tomorrow I should have this update.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/software-...est/index.html
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #77
shamilian

2 issues for me so far.

1) on units with a slide plugged in to usb.
the first key press got stuck on, as if the slide was continuing to give the Tivo Button command. This happened with 2 different units. It was fixed by pressing buttons on one, had to unplug / replug the usb receiver on the second one. ( I have not rebooted again, I hope it does not happen on every reboot )

2) as I was watching a stream of live recording, the stream suddenly froze near the end of the show. I exited the stream ( it offered to delete the recording ) and I select the show had to fast forward to the spot to continue the stream. ( have other people streamed a live recording yet ? it may have frozen when the recording on the remote unit finished recording, not sure )
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #78
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
you sure love saying that in any thread on any forum. you should make t-shirts.
Maybe just copyright? I hate to post absolutes, but this is one exception I can live with.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #79
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
According to TiVo technical support, this IS the Spring 2013 update.
You are correct. Subsequent updates to updates don't get names.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #80
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

More accurate playback

After the v20.3.1 update, I noticed that the "cropping" which sometimes occurs during 60x FF (3 fast-forward arrows) seems to have been fixed. 60x FF is as smooth as it was in TiVo's pre-Series4 platforms. Previously I would often see the top third of the screen become offset for a split second during 60x FF.

At first it seemed 3x FF (one fast-forward arrow) was fixed but occasionally it still gets stuck on muted 1x playback.

When skipping to the next tick mark during 60x FF I'm seeing hardly any hesitation. Previously the screen would often freeze for a split second when reaching the next tick mark. And the bug introduced with v20.2.2.1 that caused the status arrow to sometimes jump past the tick mark for a split second seems to have been fixed.

After pausing a program then pressing Rewind repeatedly to step back frame-by-frame then pressing Play, the program seems to resume playing from that exact frame. Previously the ability to resume playing after "stepping" through frames was less precise.

These are a few improvements I noticed when comparing the playback behavior on my Premiere 4/XL4/Elite that just updated to v20.3.1 with another Elite that still has v20.2.2.1.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #81
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
You are correct. Subsequent updates to updates don't get names.
Problem is this update isn't worthy of that title. Other problem is if there is going to be an update to correct the issues. I've actually exchanged my Premiere 4 for one that doesn't have this software update, that's how bad it's gotten for me. I've seen people in my position before, never thought I'd be one of them. Now I just have to deal with the other Premiere that DOES have this update.

Last edited by JWhites : 05-17-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #82
compnurd

Quote:
According to TiVo technical support, this IS the Spring 2013 update.
LOL I would not expect high hopes from Tivo Tech support
Old 05-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #83
compnurd

Quote:
Problem is this update isn't worthy of that title. Other problem is if there is going to be an update to correct the issues. I've actually exchanged my Premiere 4 for one that doesn't have this software update, that's how bad it's gotten for me. I've seen people in my position before, never thought I'd be one of them. Now I just have to deal with the other Premiere that DOES have this update.
Sucks your having the issues. my 3 Premieres with the new update have been fine
Old 05-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #84
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
Unless your added your TSN to the priority download page this update has not or will not hit your box.. I added my TSN yesterday, it says it will take 3 days. I have tried several manual connections to get the update but has not prompted a reboot yet. By tomorrow I should have this update.

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/software-...est/index.html
I know that... My point was I have noticed nothing.. good or bad from this update
Old 05-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #85
sharkster

I'm pretty certain that my MCards are both Motorola brand, yes. But, again, I really don't think that the MCards are the problem. I'm pretty sure that all my equipment is fine and Tivo is what is causing the glitches with unauthorized channels.

Fortunately, (fingers crossed) I haven't had a problem for several weeks with either of them. Some of it, for example happening at the exact same time with both Tivos, just makes it hard to believe that one or the other, or even both CableCARDs, is the cause of the channel problem.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #86
BP-isMe

Question Losing Live TV Buffer

Hi All,

Did this update fix the issue where you would lose the Live TV Buffer when a new show started to record?

Thanks...Brad
BP-isMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #87
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
The most pressing issue is the program description being truncated when using the HDUI in the channel bar for no reason.
Just press select to get the entire description.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #88
JWhites

Shouldn't have to if it was left the way it was prior to the update...
Old 05-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #89
Darkev

I haven't had any issues yet with the update. I'm either missing something or JWhites is. What's the point of exchanging your premiere for one that doesn't have the update? They are all going to have it soon. I guess if you pull your ethernet cable out you won't get it, but you won't get the guide updates either. :-|
Darkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #90
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkev View Post
I haven't had any issues yet with the update. I'm either missing something or JWhites is.
It's definitely not you.