TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #91
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Agreed. But that is not what you asked for:
Well, when dynamic tuner allocation was bestowed upon us, I guess I just assumed that this would also include (the obvious) tuner de-allocation as well. Silly me, I assumed TiVo's engineers would implement this in a way that was most flexible and elegant and useful, and not just go half-way.

The TiVo Mini should be able to check with the host TiVo and see that no one has used that TiVo for a few hours either, and that there are no conflicting recordings, and there are enough free tuners available for upcoming recordings... and then be able to determine that the TiVo Mini doesn't need to "time out" to free up its tuner.

In the absence of that capability, I would just like to see a user setting, to satisfy everyone's usage pattern.

Regardless of my initial assumption, or what I "asked for" in this thread, I stand by my complaint and appreciate venting here. This strikes me as yet another disappointing implementation on TiVo's part. No surprise though, not do I expect TiVo to change at this point. It's par for the course...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:31 PM   #92
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Right, so what we're left with is a TiVo Mini that can't simply display live TV all day or all night without manual intervention. LOL. Rationalization's a helluva drug.
Well to have live TV playing for close to twelve hours you would need to touch the remote two more times after initially hitting live TV. I don't see the big deal.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #93
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hmm. I think you've got to spread those touches out, in order to get the full 12 hours though. (The time out is always 4 hours after the last touch, yeah?)

So if I turn it on at around 10 PM, get in bed, and want the TV to be playing all night while I sleep (the audio soothes me,) then what time do you suggest I set the alarm in order to wake up so I can hit the remote control, to maximize the length of live TV playback? Oh, and you suggest I do this twice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #94
lpwcomp

Quote:
Hmm. I think you've got to spread those touches out, in order to get the full 12 hours though. (The time out is always 4 hours after the last touch, yeah?)

So if I turn it on at around 10 PM, get in bed, and want the TV to be playing all night while I sleep (the audio soothes me,) then what time do you suggest I set the alarm in order to wake up so I can hit the remote control, to maximize the length of live TV playback? Oh, and you suggest I do this twice?

No need to set an alarm. If the loss of audio disturbs you that much, you'll wake up when the tuner is released.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #95
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's not the loss of audio that disturbs me so much as it's the presence that soothes me. And the TiVo Mini has robbed me of this simple, comforting joy.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #96
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
It's not the loss of audio that disturbs me so much as it's the presence that soothes me. And the TiVo Mini has robbed me of this simple, comforting joy.
Swap the locations of the Mini and the main TiVo.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #97
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm really sorry that a Mini snuck into your house and connected itself to your TV, thus "robbing" you of this small comfort. It is apparently so insidious that it is preventing you from connecting an antenna or swapping it with the full TiVo.

If it doesn't wake you up, then what's the problem?

Plus, I take it you've never experienced multiple, middle-of-the-night EAS alarms as I have.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #98
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post

Plus, I take it you've never experienced multiple, middle-of-the-night EAS alarms as I have.
I would probably freak out for a few seconds if I heard that while sleeping.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #99
lessd

My wife likes to keep the TV on in both the kitchen and in the bedroom for long periods of time, solution, a Roamio in each of those locations, the Mini in the bath dressing area when she is not going to have the problem. Cost more, yes, but so does a wife fight.

I think TiVo did this to keep the network from a non stop streaming operation, you go on a two week vacation and forget to unallocated the Mini(s) so it will be using the network for the next two weeks, with many Minis in a home this could cause a network problem.