The power supply on my RCA DVR40 died around October of last year. After purchasing a used one from Ebay, I was stuck at the 78% complete when acquiring the signal. I read a post saying to go into guided setup and choose your dish setup again to make the signal at 100%. BIG MISTAKE!!..
After that didn't work, I did some research and found out that the DVR needed a update (6.4a). Well.. after many reboots, it was going back to guided/dish setup and I couldn't get back to the main menu to make a daily phone call to retrieve the update... until now...
This is for a RCA DVR40.. but it might be helpful for any Series 2 DVR..
1. Make sure the power to the DVR is unplugged
2. Disconnect any Sat. cables to the DVR.
3. Plug in DVR and power on
4. When it goes into Guided Setup.. choose what you have been using.
5. Follow the reset of the prompts as usual. You may get problem detected message due to no signal
6. When aquiring signal.. it will be at 0% (for around 30min).. Don't touch anything. You will receive a message that a signal could not be acquired with a list of options. One of them is to return to the main menu.
7. Go to phone connection and make a daily call.. :-)
8. After receiving the update, the status will say to reboot. Unplug receiver
and reconnect Sat cable(s) and then plug power cord back in.