TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Under The Dome 8/05/2013 "Imperfect Circles"

Hey, we're making progress! We got to see the inner dome, and the magic egg inside that. A few stupidity rants (and I'm sure there are dozens more...):

* No one thought to see if there was a center to the dome before now?

* The edge of the dome is right across the street from Julia? How did we not know that before this episode?

* I love how Alice, who is a shrink and 20 years removed from medical school, is the go-to person for all medical issues. Everything from diagnosing meningitis to childbirth, and wrapped umbilical cords. Jackie of all trades. Even diagnosed her own heart attack. Bye bye!

* Did anyone think Big Jim would sit passively on the sidelines and let Goober steal his propane? Come on now, not even Goober could think it was gonna be that easy.

* Rose's body in the diner. Wouldn't it be... icky by now?

All in all, it was less stupidity per minute than the past few eps. And we did make progress on the dome/egg (I've not read the books).
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Of course they take a 6wk prematurely delivering lady...immediately back to the house? At least they went to the clinic soon after.

And of course the high school kid thinks of where else to look. And that was just the first few minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
getreal
postcrastinator

Such a TV trope to have a one-night stand interrupted by someone at the door, and the new/strange lover either steps out of the shower wrapped in a towel (or less) and walks into the room with the visitor, or comes to the front door while the person who lives there is still talking to the visitor, making for an AWKWARD moment. Ugh!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

* Rose's body in the diner. Wouldn't it be... icky by now?
At least the blood was fresh.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Well, I guess in the grand scheme of things, this was probably the most believable episode yet.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
GoPackGo

Glad the episode advanced the story somewhat. If I were on the writing staff I would be putting the camp through the roof every chance I got. This show needs to stop taking itself seriously and just go all out on the stupidity.
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I'm beginning to like Big Jim.

As for Rose's body being icky by now - it's only been one day, but I'd say it became icky at the moment of death. After a day that puddle of blood would have started drying up.

Interesting that just pouring a quart of water on the inner dome cleaned it to a streak free crystal clear shine. It had rained really hard the night before, why didn't that clear off the inner dome? and why were the leaves and dirt covering it, bone dry?
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I'm beginning to like Big Jim.

As for Rose's body being icky by now - it's only been one day, but I'd say it became icky at the moment of death. After a day that puddle of blood would have started drying up.

Interesting that just pouring a quart of water on the inner dome cleaned it to a streak free crystal clear shine. It had rained really hard the night before, why didn't that clear off the inner dome? and why were the leaves and dirt covering it, bone dry?
Did you notice the perfect star the water formed as it poured out, too, with the water streaks equidistant. It was quite impressive. Nonsense, but impressive.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Such a TV trope to have a one-night stand interrupted by someone at the door, and the new/strange lover either steps out of the shower wrapped in a towel (or less) and walks into the room with the visitor, or comes to the front door while the person who lives there is still talking to the visitor, making for an AWKWARD moment. Ugh!
I would kind of expect the neighbor to know that Barbie is staying with Julia considering that she's 8 months pregnant and on her own and is friendly enough with Julia to knock on her door to ask for yogurt.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
* The edge of the dome is right across the street from Julia? How did we not know that before this episode?
I think we did know and see that. Especially at the time she was trying to get the attention of the army guys outside the dome a few days back and they were ignoring her.

Also, I noticed the garbage piling up outside her house.

Quote:

* Did anyone think Big Jim would sit passively on the sidelines and let Goober steal his propane? Come on now, not even Goober could think it was gonna be that easy.
I was just surprised he had to get drunk to do it. (Yes, I get the implication that he's really a coward but when you considered he joined in the hunt for the wacko deputy....)

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Did you notice the perfect star the water formed as it poured out, too, with the water streaks equidistant. It was quite impressive. Nonsense, but impressive.
I just looked at that scene again. What I find impressive is that the cg people held back from making it a perfectly even distribution of the water. and I was wrong about the amount of water used. When Norrie is done pouring, her bottle is still half full, so she only used about a half quart of water. I need more water than that and more pressure to rinse the soap off of a cereal bowl.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
nickels
opinionated dope

The dome made the pregnant woman see her husband, and it also made the girl see her dying mother. Now that we know it can make people hallucinate, we'll see if that plays into the story anymore. The way the kid describes the dome (as a cell like object I think) it sounds more like a sphere than a dome.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
stellie93

How could the farmer be so sure the "dome" goes deep enough to keep the water coming forever?

I think in a real town there would be a meeting, and it would be decided whether you are going to confiscate necessities so that people don't die. A couple farmers can't fight the whole town if they need food and water. I thought Jim was nice to actually pay him with the propane for doing the right thing.

Really meandering away from the book by now.....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Langree
The Gimp

I'm not surprised nobody thought to go to the center, all visible "effects" occurred at the edges and it looked like the inner dome was in an out of the way spot.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Wow, Red. Your hubby isn't even cold yet, and you're already doin' the hokey pokey with his killer?

Now that her mother has died, maybe charged-particle teen won't be so annoying. (Probably not). Or, is she dead?

Now that Junior has his first kill, who'll be next?

Hey, wonder if there's a face hugger in that egg?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #16
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post

Spoiler:
If you saw the previews for next week, it might be Big Jim. My guess is that it's just a tease.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
One can hope.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
One can hope.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Spoiler:
If you saw the previews for next week, it might be Big Jim. My guess is that it's just a tease.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I think you're right, just a tease. I can't imagine them killing off Big Jim so early in the series.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Or maybe this is the start of "Mork from Ork - The Next Generation."
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
A couple farmers can't fight the whole town if they need food and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb And Number2 View Post
It's refreshing that you're honest enough to to reveal you'd use mob violence to steal what you need. Just make sure your marks truly are weaker than you.
I would use "mob violence" too, if that is mob violence. The farmer isn't "weaker," though. He's trying to use his position of strength - having resources everyone needs - in a way that is detrimental to everyone else, and based on his interactions with Big Jim, he's not above violence. So if Big Jim and the crew want to lock him up or take him out and ration the resources, more power to them.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Numb And Number2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
A couple farmers can't fight the whole town if they need food and water.
Mob violence, when practiced for the good of the mob, is moral. Just make sure your marks truly are weaker than you.
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

Conservation of Alices - that woman never should have named her daughter Alice. She exceeded the Dome's quota. Someone had to go.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Wow, Red. Your hubby isn't even cold yet, and you're already doin' the hokey pokey with his killer?
She doesn't know her husband is dead. She thinks he ran off and left her. With the house in foreclosure.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #25
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Quote:

Now that her mother has died, maybe charged-particle teen won't be so annoying. (Probably not). Or, is she dead?

Although I didn't like the teen's mother's character and am glad she's dead, I would have preferred that the black guy she was married to would have been written out of the show, as well.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
Although I didn't like the teen's mother's character and am glad she's dead, I would have preferred that the black guy she was married to would have been written out of the show, as well.
Black guy???

You mean black gal. The actress is a woman.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #27
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

My appreciation for the show dropped sharply when I heard that they were extending it to a second season (and who knows how many more). The thing that made me get into it in the first place was "there's a fixed length so there'll be an actual resolution".

The "Very Special Episode" birth-and-death cliché didn't help. Neither did the egg -- we're veering farther and farther from the kind of resolution I'm likely to find satisfying. I'm afraid to ruminate about this here, though, because of all the people who read the book. Even though the discussion about the book will likely fall within spoiler tags, it tends to prevent the kind of discussion we would have if this weren't based on a book. That's why I haven't been participating in previous threads.

Pilot episode with the kid trigonometry-measuring the dome, I immediately said "okay, now go check the center". I've been saying that to him almost every week since. By this point I figured it would never actually happen. So it seems in a way more ridiculous that it did, in that it took this long for the guy who was mapping it in the first place to take that step.

I don't mean to threadcrap, I just can't find much positive to say anymore. About the only thing keeping me here now is the hope that we're going to learn something about Big Jim and why he had all that propane in the first place.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #28
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Black guy???

You mean black gal.
He was trying to be funny. He's just not very good at it.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
Pilot episode with the kid trigonometry-measuring the dome, I immediately said "okay, now go check the center". I've been saying that to him almost every week since. By this point I figured it would never actually happen. So it seems in a way more ridiculous that it did, in that it took this long for the guy who was mapping it in the first place to take that step.

Your average person is not going to be checking the center of the dome. Even after measuring it, there would be zero reason to check the center of the dome. They only went looking for the center of the dome when they had a reason to. Which makes sense to me. To me it would have made no sense to check for the center of the dome after measuring it. There was no reason to think anything would be in the center at the beginning of the show.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #30
LlamaLarry

I would expect Radio Lass to have considered checking the center of the dome, especially once her power source hunt kind of panned out.

I am also kind of surprised that Big Jim just didn't hobble back to his car and run over the town giant, then go back and kill Ollie.

As mentioned above, I don't think the town would care one bit if Ollie's property rights were infringed on in time of emergency; hell, the whole freaking town was ready to throttle people that they've known their whole lives one day previous for the contents of the local five and dime.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote