TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
The Amazing Race Finale OAD 05/05/13

That was actually a rather satisfying finale for me.

Glad to see Bates and Anthony win it. No major hose jobs because of bad cab drivers was a huge plus!

Cannot believe ANY of them actually thought they were getting a picture with the President!

One thing for any of those familiar with jewelry - and this first came to my attention on Undercover Boss a couple of weeks ago with Jackie - the fitness center worker who was cussing at the customers, etc. - but it looked like Katie was wearing something similar at the finish line tonight...

It was a necklace that looked like a simple gold chain with a cross on it; but the cross was mounted sideways where one end of the chain connected to the top on of the cross and the other end was connected to the bottom - so the cross didn't dangle in what would be considered an upright position, but was sideways. Is there some signifigance to this that I am not aware of? Some new style or something? Just not my cup of tea.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
There certainly wasn't much drama at the end. The hockey players were so far ahead by the last challenge there was no catching them. It also helped that they took good notes and weren't dumb jocks.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
VegasVic
Craps Player

Usually they edit to make it at least look close at the end but in this case they didn't even bother. I'm satisfied with the hockey boys winning.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I was rooting for the Hockey moms but an fine with the hockey players winning. What i am happiest about is that Max and Katie did not win.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I was rooting for the Hockey moms but an fine with the hockey players winning. What i am happiest about is that Max and Katie did not win.
You mean roller derby moms

Agree about Max and Katie
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

Someone please explain to me what was so hard about swimming thru dirty water. WTF?
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
Someone please explain to me what was so hard about swimming thru dirty water. WTF?
I don't think the swimming was the problem as much as the mud getting into the goggles and snorkle making it hard to see and breath. I wonder if it would have been an easier task if they could just take those off. Each person complained about having trouble breathing and seeing.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
It wasn't dirty water. It's more like mud. But you're right, it wasn't hard. In fact everybody did it in the allotted time with plenty of time left except the country singer and that was because she got out at one end.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
verdugan

One thing I was surprised about is that none of the teams could figure out how to serve the Titanic menu.

And wasn't it ironic (based on the editing) that the country singers were out partly because the hockey brothers gave a hint to the roller derby moms?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post

One thing for any of those familiar with jewelry - and this first came to my attention on Undercover Boss a couple of weeks ago with Jackie - the fitness center worker who was cussing at the customers, etc. - but it looked like Katie was wearing something similar at the finish line tonight...

It was a necklace that looked like a simple gold chain with a cross on it; but the cross was mounted sideways where one end of the chain connected to the top on of the cross and the other end was connected to the bottom - so the cross didn't dangle in what would be considered an upright position, but was sideways. Is there some signifigance to this that I am not aware of? Some new style or something? Just not my cup of tea.
The cross is supposed to sit half way up the chain, and therefore be upright, but you need something like a pendant to keep the chain in place, otherwise the cross just falls to the bottom, which became some kind of trend because a celebrity stylist named Taylor Jacobson said so.

Originally the design sat like this:

Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
That was actually a rather satisfying finale for me
me, too, and i really liked the secret agent challenge as a change of pace from the physical challenges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
There certainly wasn't much drama at the end. The hockey players were so far ahead by the last challenge there was no catching them
you're right, but since i was rooting for them over the newlywed jerks, that was fine by me. and they edited the final moments for speed after their win was secured, which helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
Usually they edit to make it at least look close at the end but in this case they didn't even bother
did they even show the roller derby moms complete their final challenge? no complaints, no change in the results, and glad they sped it along, but i missed it. their dusk finish is what made me think of it.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was very glad the "power couple" didn't win.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Yay! Very happy with the winners! (It doesn't happen too often.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #14
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post

Originally the design sat like this:
Hey, that is really cool looking. Mothers day solution?
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
You mean roller derby moms

Agree about Max and Katie
Yes, that is what I meant. It was early. I wasn't awake yet.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Same here. The moms were a long shot, but we all know long shots win more often than you would think! But the hockey guys seemed really nice all around, other than the mini meltdown at the Titanic (Worst partner ever!).
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Glad to see they did an update on the Achilles' dad; I was worried he was doing permanent damage when he kept racing as long as he did.

Wonder how long the "power couple's" marriage will last. They are so annoying.

I loved (loved, loved) the secret service challenge.

I liked the hockey guys as well as the moms so I was glad one of them won.

I love this show. Sorry to see the season end.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

No complaints over the winners here. I was also glad to see that bad taxi (taksi) drivers were not a factor anywhere in this series.

The secret service challenge was fun as was the "1100 Pennsylvania Avenue" challenge. How could they REALLY think that Obama has nothing better to do than sit around waiting for some game show contestants to come along at an undetermined time to have their picture taken with him??? I'm kinda surprised that two of the three couples also didn't notice that the address was 1100 and not 1600...and those "agents" were about as convincing as I would be in Ray-Bans!

Overall, a good race. Looking forward to the next one. My wife actually said that she loves seeing who won, but hates that it's over.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Wonder how long the "power couple's" marriage will last. They are so annoying.
Well they both think they are better than everyone else and the dude thinks his wife is better than him. Perfect match.

Was rooting for 'Derby moms but they made too many mistakes. Guessing most of the contestants haven't done much fine dining or watch Food Network.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
laria
Librocubicularist

Glad Max & Katie did not win... they were pretty annoying, him moreso than her. But I did like what he said in the taxi when they were going to the president, about him being a diehard Republican but that a majority of the people voted for Obama and he respected that. Of course that could have just been for tv.

Kind of a yawner at the finish... no suspense over who was going to win, even though they tried a little bit with the taxi ride to Mount Vernon, with the hockey players saying they hoped they were going the right way several times.

I could not believe how badly the roller derby moms were at the Titanic challenge. I don't understand why the shorter one didn't go back and look for the sign after she got it wrong like 10 times and Anthony opened his trap about there being a sign (seriously dude, don't give stuff away!). I would have gone back there to look for myself for a sign as soon as he said that. Actually I probably would have gone back to the tent to look at stuff again long before that after getting it wrong 2-3 times, instead of blindly trusting my partner.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Same here. The moms were a long shot, but we all know long shots win more often than you would think! But the hockey guys seemed really nice all around, other than the mini meltdown at the Titanic (Worst partner ever!).
No, the other hockey mom was the worst partner ever! (talking about the Titanic challenge.)
Old 05-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
No, the other hockey mom was the worst partner ever! (talking about the Titanic challenge.)
That was a quote from the hockey guy delivering about his partner preparing the plates.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #23
stellie93

I was curious about when they're allowed to use their notes. They definitely did in the briefcase challenge, but did they use them with the countries at the end? I thought I remembered them having to do challenges like that from memory before.

As the only person on the planet who liked the power couple, I thought the needle in a haystack nature of the briefcase thing was a little unfair for the last leg.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
That was a quote from the hockey guy delivering about his partner preparing the plates.
He'll change his mind after watching this episode.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
As the only person on the planet who liked the power couple, I thought the needle in a haystack nature of the briefcase thing was a little unfair for the last leg.
[Conspiracy Theory]Producers didn't want Power Couple to win. The secret agent/spy briefcase roadblock could have been easily managed to favor one team over the others as each had a different secret phrase so the Hockey Boy's secret agent could have been on of the first say 5 they ran into while the Power Couple was near the end of the line[/Conspiracy Theory]

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
caslu

Nice finish and right im backyard, many of the DC locations are literally walking distance from my office... unfortunately, I had no idea TAR was in town.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #27
mattack

I too thought it was incredible that they thought Obama would actually be there.

The lighting tricked me at the end of the first hour.. I even backed up and re-watched it. It sure *SEEMED* lighter outside when the blonde couple (who were eliminated) was near the finish.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #28
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
One thing I was surprised about is that none of the teams could figure out how to serve the Titanic menu.
Max and Katie had it figured out from the beginning.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #29
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
.......As the only person on the planet who liked the power couple, I thought the needle in a haystack nature of the briefcase thing was a little unfair for the last leg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
[Conspiracy Theory]Producers didn't want Power Couple to win. The secret agent/spy briefcase roadblock could have been easily managed to favor one team over the others as each had a different secret phrase so the Hockey Boy's secret agent could have been on of the first say 5 they ran into while the Power Couple was near the end of the line[/Conspiracy Theory]
Personally, I didn't care who won, but I didn't think that challenge was fair. I think most of you are happy with the results because it benefited the hockey boys. If the power couple had the easy briefcase, most of you would be howling about how unfair it was. Of course the effect wouldn't have been as noticeable since they were in first place at the time.

JMHO.

I also was amazed that nobody expressed any skepticism about meeting the actual president. C'mon guys.
WO312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #30
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Max and Katie had it figured out from the beginning.
I seemed to remember it took them a bit. Not sure if they got all the way down to the tables and actually served people, but they at least put the wrong plates on the tray at least once.