TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Darkev

Cool TiVo Premiere XL gone?

I noticed today that TiVo is no longer offering the Premiere XL on their website. Does anyone know why this DVR is no longer available? It offered twice the hard drive space of the standard Premiere.
Darkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

It hasn't been available for a while. They are selling refurbs in the Clearance area, though.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately it is discontinued! This was the best 2 tuner unit available. Some still available new, but not from TiVo directly.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
JoeKustra
Cable only

Check Amazon.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Darkev

That's a complete shame. I agree - the TiVo premiere XL was the very best of all DVRs that TiVo made. Thanks for the feedback.

I do wonder if they are producing something new? It makes no sense that this was discontinued otherwise.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

upgrade the drive yourself.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Darkev

I'd love to upgrade the hard drive myself. It's funny you should mention this because I've been reading articles on how to do it. There's even some YouTube videos out there. Everything I'm finding is a year old or older. The TiVo premiere was updated to new firmware in the fall of 2012. The question is - do these instructions still work? Do the fall 2012 firmware changes still permit HD upgrades?
Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkev View Post
I'd love to upgrade the hard drive myself. It's funny you should mention this because I've been reading articles on how to do it. There's even some YouTube videos out there. Everything I'm finding is a year old or older. The TiVo premiere was updated to new firmware in the fall of 2012. The question is - do these instructions still work? Do the fall 2012 firmware changes still permit HD upgrades?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

You can backup the drive, restore it to a larger drive, and use jmfs to expand it. Once I get off my lazy butt and add drive expansion to DvrBARS it will be a one step process, but in the meantime you can still get the job done.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
Darkev

Thanks for the link to that backup utility. I might try that.

I found a hard drive on amazon.ca just now. The WD20EARX drive. Have you tried this one? I'm wondering how quiet that drive is.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
ggieseke

All of the WD A/V line are pretty quiet. I don't have an EARX but the 1TB EURS in my XL is so quiet that I can't hear it at all unless I get to within a few inches (and that's with the cover off and the drive sitting on a piece of cardboard outside the box). Newegg just had a $90 sale on WD20EURS drives and I bought 4 of them. Can't hear 'em unless I stick my ear right next to the dock.

As far as I'm concerned, they might as well be SSDs.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
Darkev

That's great to read. Hopefully it won't be too noisy. If it is, I'll have to put that one in my living room and move my Premiere XL to the bedroom. I'm going to update my Premiere drives using a Mac Pro. This is one of those Mac towers that has 4 SATA drive bays. I've booted my Mac up as a Linux machine with no problems in the past. I don't anticipate any with this process but will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-15-2013, 01:21 AM   #12
JWhites

Quote:
That's a complete shame. I agree - the TiVo premiere XL was the very best of all DVRs that TiVo made. Thanks for the feedback.

I do wonder if they are producing something new? It makes no sense that this was discontinued otherwise.
Not really, since they created the XL4. It has double the hard drive capacity (2TB vs 1TB) as well as double the tuners (4 tuners vs 2 tuners) that the XL has, and adds MoCA support to boot. It still has the THX certification and comes with the same premium remote control the XL has been known for.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #13
JWhites

I just have to put it out there that I've discovered something interesting (though you already be aware of it) I've come across various Premieres, 4's, XL4's and Elites over the past few months that either uses a Seagate drive or a Western Digital drive which surprises me since generally I always thought TiVo ONLY uses Western Digital drives in their Premiere line. I've noticed both brands are extremely quiet and I wouldn't even have noticed if I hadn't been snooping around wondering what that flashing orange light coming from the bottom of the TiVo's were during video streaming. I discovered it's a MoCA connection/activity light on the motherboard reflecting off the metallic surface of the hard drive.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
Darkev

The XL4 is not an option for many people. I don't have cable. All of my TV shows are recorded off the air. You can't do this with the XL4. Here in Canada, most cable companies don't allow TiVos. I don't like cable anyway with their outrageous prices. I get 14 1080i channels over the air that offer all sorts of different shows. Plus Apple TV which gives a host more.

I learned that TiVo is coming out with a Series 5 DVR which could explain the shortage on the Premiere XLs.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 AM   #15
JWhites

Quote:
The XL4 is not an option for many people. I don't have cable. All of my TV shows are recorded off the air. You can't do this with the XL4. Here in Canada, most cable companies don't allow TiVos. I don't like cable anyway with their outrageous prices. I get 14 1080i channels over the air that offer all sorts of different shows. Plus Apple TV which gives a host more.

I learned that TiVo is coming out with a Series 5 DVR which could explain the shortage on the Premiere XLs.
The reason why there is a shortage is because of the reason I posted, not because of some master plan with the Series 5. As been stated before, there is no irrefutable proof that TiVo is coming out with a Series 5 in the near future, just speculations and conjecture from some FCC filing that could mean anything. I don't mean to be a downer, I just don't want everyone's hopes and dreams shattered when nothing happens, and everyone lashes out at TiVo. Sure eventually there are going to be new models coming out from TiVo, it's inevitable as long as TiVo remains in business and their business model stays the same. They could always do what Arris did with Moxi and become MSO exclusive again. Let's not forget that both Moxi and TiVo started off selling only to service operators, such as DirecTV and Charter, before they started selling to consumers directly.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Let's not forget that both Moxi and TiVo started off selling only to service operators, such as DirecTV and Charter, before they started selling to consumers directly.
What?! I have no idea about Moxi, but this is simply not true for TiVo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TiVo
Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
What?! I have no idea about Moxi, but this is simply not true for TiVo.

TiVo used to be DirecTV only. Moxi used to be cable operator only. Both then sold to consumers directly. Moxi now is owned by Arris and sells only to cable operators again. TiVo could always, however unlikely, follow the same path.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #18
jrtroo
User

I think you have that backwards- direct tv used to be tivo only. If you review the link, you'll see that tivo was not direct tv only when it started.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #19
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
TiVo used to be DirecTV only. Moxi used to be cable operator only. Both then sold to consumers directly. Moxi now is owned by Arris and sells only to cable operators again. TiVo could always, however unlikely, follow the same path.
Please stop digging now, you're already in a hole.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
TiVo used to be DirecTV only.....

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #21
innocentfreak

It has to be a troll.

TiVo will have a new box by the end of the year unless some delay pushes it to 2014. I think we will see it at the Cable Show in June as a cable company option just like they did with the Q/Elite and the FCC will hopefully grant the waiver on the first day just like last time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I think you have that backwards- direct tv used to be tivo only. If you review the link, you'll see that tivo was not direct tv only when it started.
Oh, I was wrong, my mistake
Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #23
innocentfreak

Quote:
Just was pointing this out http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-wa...ctv/index.html When TiVo first came out it was for satellite only.
Wrong.

TiVo went on sale March 31, 1999 and first DirecTV TiVo model was in mid 2000.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
JWhites

No need for name calling, simply a difference in belief, that's all. I prefer to see proof that's all.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
innocentfreak

So do I rather than comments like this without proof.

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble but TiVo has stated off the record that they have no intention in OTA anymore because of the amount of dealings they have with cable providers plus there wouldn't be anyway for them to fit that many tuners into the box, plus with their big push for MoCA and the TiVo Stream and the TiVo Mini, copy protection is another concern of theirs. This whole rumor about a new box is speculation and quite frankly there has yet to be any hard evidence to support it and until then it shouldn't be even a consideration.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #26
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
So do I rather than comments like this without proof.
I'm just going by what I heard when I was at the TiVo office in NY a few months ago. It's not really a big deal who is right or wrong as long as at the end of the day we can watch tv.