TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
CraigK
(unspecified)

Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyers Cut)

http://www.ifc.com/monty-python-almo...h-lawyers-cut/

"Legendary British comedy troupe Monty Python all gathered in front of the camera one last time in this original documentary series that retells the entire Python phenomenon start to finish.

The Monty Python troupe includes John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin and Graham Chapman. This six-part series features interviews with all the surviving Python members, along with archive representation for the late Graham Chapman. The Pythons tell their life story and reveal deeper truths alongside the more tried and tested Python history lessons. The documentary also features comedians and contemporaries including: Jimmy Fallon, Lorne Michaels, Hugh Hefner, Eddie Izzard, Olivia Harrison, Steven Merchant, Dan Aykroyd, Tim Roth and Seth Green, among many others.

"This is the documentary I always hoped would be made - something so complete and so faithful to the truth that I don't need to watch it," said Terry Jones.

This six-hour docu-series Monty Python: Almost the Truth (Lawyer's Cut) will be told in six parts, airing one-hour each night during IFC's "Python-a-thon" beginning October 18, 2009 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. IFC will also air Python feature films including Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian, and Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

In addition to the documentary and timed to 40th Anniversary of the creation of Monty Python, The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) will award The Pythons with a Special Award honoring their outstanding contribution to film and television on October 15 at the Ziegfeld Theater in New York City."
Old 10-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #2
Peter000

I noticed this was being sold as a movie on iTunes. I was very tempted to buy it on the spot. But it's only an hour fourty-nine minutes long. Guess I'll wait for the "Lawyers Cut" on DVD.

EDIT: I guess the movie is called "Before and After." I'm assuming it's a cut down version of the series.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I just saw them on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
One thing they talked about was how the BBC commonly wiped tapes of programming to be re-used and that Monty Python's Flying Circus almost met that fate.
Thanks to the U.S. picking it up, they were saved.

I remember when I first saw MPFC. As a young teenager, I was bored and there was nothing on TV. Looking through the guide, the 'flying circus' caught my eye so I thought I'd see what was up with that. Normally, I didn't watch PBS because what teenager wants to watch ''educational'' TV?
I figured it would be exactly as described - a TV show with acrobatic feats being performed, a circus on TV. Boy, how I was completely wrong about that!

I don't remember what episode it was, but that one episode is all it took to make me a fan. Now I have the box set.

And now for something completely different....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Recordings set! Thanks for the heads-up.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for posting this. I am a fan but my husband was a bigger one. In fact, we used the MPFC theme song (libery bell march) for our wedding recessional music. It was a blast.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I saw an advertisement for this yesterday on some video podcast I watch. I think??? I used my trusty DirecTV app on my iPhone to schedule my DVR to record it.
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

[Mr. Gumby]Thank you!![/Mr. Gumby]

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

The five of them, six counting a card-board cutout of Graham Chapman, were on Regis & Kelly this morning. First thing regis asked was where "Monty Python" came from. John Cleese answered that it was Swahili for "Please wipe my ass", or words to that effect.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
nirisahn

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be recording this.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Wish I had IFC. Hopefully they'll make the full version available on DVD or on another non-premium channel sometime soon. I'd love to see this.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
tewcewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Wish I had IFC. Hopefully they'll make the full version available on DVD or on another non-premium channel sometime soon. I'd love to see this.
They will.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa172.html#092409b

tewcewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

There's also a "making of" show, on IFC at 1:50 AM Sunday. Looks like a SP for the series won't catch this.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewcewl View Post
Excellent!! I was sad, too... I don't find IFC in my Guide Listings, but am pretty sure it used to be there.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
Peter000

Quote:
It's available as a season pass from iTunes (iTunes link), and I'm sure Amazon as well. Not expensive at all... something like $11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
There's also a "making of" show, on IFC at 1:50 AM Sunday. Looks like a SP for the series won't catch this.
Again with the iTunes... there's a 9 minute "making of" featurette avaiable for free from iTunes as part of the season pass mentioned above. I'm not sure if it's the same one that's airing, but I'm assuming so.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #15
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb Monty Python, Jimmy Fallon Interview

Monty Python Jimmy Fallon Interview, Part 1 (10/14/09)
http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....01409/1166844/

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I just saw them on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
One thing they talked about was how the BBC commonly wiped tapes of programming to be re-used and that Monty Python's Flying Circus almost met that fate.
Thanks to the U.S. picking it up, they were saved.
The older Doctor Who episodes were also deleted that way.
Perhaps that's why Cybermen say "DELETE DELETE".

Share an online coupon here

DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #16
stujac

Thanks for this info. Got a series recording but unfortunately, it's on the Comcast box-the Tivo is full on Sunday night.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 PM   #17
ewolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibus View Post
The five of them, six counting a card-board cutout of Graham Chapman, were on Regis & Kelly this morning. First thing regis asked was where "Monty Python" came from. John Cleese answered that it was Swahili for "Please wipe my ass", or words to that effect.
For those that missed the show this morning they put up the episodes on a one day delay at http://www.liveregisandkelly.com/
ewolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #18
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Thanks for the Heads Up... wink wink nudge nudge...
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #19
SeanC
ECT

So I'm watching Jimmy Fallon's show where he had the Pythons on. Turns out he and I got into the Pythons the same way, through Dr. Demento.

I first heard them on Dr. Demento's radio show. I would record his show to cassette tape and listen to it a bunch of times.

I must have listened to the Parrot sketch 100+ times. My mom had to explain fjords, and the choir invisible, being completely out of my vocabulary and experience my little brain just couldn't translate them into anything.

Last edited by SeanC : 10-20-2009 at 10:10 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #20
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I remember watching on PBS as a kid. I loved the banana sketch. I was too young to understand how TV scheduling worked so I never knew when it would be on, so I always checked PBS when I watched TV. Then I'd check the other 6 channels.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #21
burbfan
Lifelong Media Speci

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I don't remember what episode it was, but that one episode is all it took to make me a fan.
Couldn't tell you the title, but I recall the scene: we had a half-hour to go until SNL came on, killing time, and our PBS, one of our 4 channels, turned this up: it was Gilliam's animation of the smiling guy with the "dancing teeth"... and then, I think, the "man with a stereo up his brother's nose" et al (playing the Stars and Stripes forever when nostril is depressed). I hooted and hooted forever. A love affair was born that night. I guess it became an orgy, with as many people as I shared that love with over the years!
burbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 AM   #22
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

I wish I had IFC. I have a keyword wishlist set up for MONTY PYTHON* and it caught the Jimmy Falon show but not Regis. (I think I need to add the actor's names) I was just busting a gut watching them on JF. John and Jimmy laughing during The Wheel of Carpet Samples was great!

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #23
Savafan1

Quote:
According to Amazon, the DVD and Blu-ray are being released on 10/27.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I grew up in the Detroit Subs and we got a Canadian TV station (Channel9) through OTA antenna (this was in the 60's and 70's). One night a week Monty Python was on and my parents didn't care if we watched it. So I guess we got it a week later than they did in England. It was the same with Benny Hill. It surely warped mine and my little brothers brains. For the Better I guess......;-]
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I'm glad to see they got hold of a version of "Summarize Proust" that still had the masturbation joke in it. (If you can find a copy of the old Paramount video tapes, those are pretty much uncut, but the A&E episodes have some cuts in them, although they did add the (never before seen in the USA, as far as I know - certainly not on PBS) "Wacky Queen" sketch.)

Note that most of the stuff they took out of the first draft of the Holy Grail script ended up in fourth-season episodes; for example, Hamlet seeing a psychiatrist (it was originally either Lancelot or Galahad), and the Most Awful Family in Britain (the cereal box had the Holy Grail inside of it instead of the Pope).

The only problem I have with the documentary is, they're leaving out too much stuff (I realize there are still two episodes to go, but they appear to be in chronological order).

For example (and I will include spoiler space just in case they do decide to talk about it):
  • The problem they had when ABC wanted to air Season 4:
    Spoiler:
    They cut a deal with ABC to air the six episodes on two nights of ABC's old Wide World of Entertainment show (a 90-minute block from 11:30 PM to 1 AM to compete with Johnny Carson), after taking great pains to make sure that each 90-minute show would consist of three full episodes (instead of bits and pieces from all six), but when they saw the cuts ABC had made to the first three, they tried to get an injunction to keep ABC from airing the other three (which failed, although they did get ABC to agree not to air them again).
  • John Denver's appearance on one of the albums:
    Spoiler:
    The album they made because they were contractually obligated to do so, "Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album," contained a track called "The Death of John Denver" (this was years before his plane accident), which consisted of Denver singing "Annie's Song" only to sound like he was being strangled to death in the middle of the song. Denver sued, and they had to remove the track (and, in addition, replace the inner sleeve, that included a credit for Denver, with a blank one).
  • The reason there are no closing credits in Monty Python & the Holy Grail:
    Spoiler:
    The intent was, after a few seconds of the black screen that currently appears at the end of the film, to have a short film, pretty much along the lines of the "film before the film" in The Meaning of Life, that consisted of the film's credits, but they just ran out of money.

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #26
BobB
Devout Tivonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
[*]John Denver's appearance on one of the albums:
Spoiler:
The album they made because they were contractually obligated to do so, "Monty Python's Contractual Obligation Album," contained a track called "The Death of John Denver" (this was years before his plane accident), which consisted of Denver singing "Annie's Song" only to sound like he was being strangled to death in the middle of the song. Denver sued, and they had to remove the track (and, in addition, replace the inner sleeve, that included a credit for Denver, with a blank one).

-- Don
You mean my copy of that, which has the John Denver bit, is a collectible now? Cool! I also have their Matching Tie & Handkerchief album, which is, as far as I know, the only three-sided phonograph record ever made. One side is normal, the other side actually has two concentric spiral tracks. Depending where the needle happens to drop at the start, you get either one track or the other. Insanely disconcerting the first time you discover it, and irreproducible on a CD.

By the way,
Spoiler:
the John Denver bit is not actually called anything, there are no "real" liner notes or track labels on the original pressing of that album, just things like "A lawyer's opinion", "Another lawyer's opinion," etc. It's simply introduced by a BBCish voice announcing, "And now, the sound of John Denver being strangled." And the song itself, while sung to the tune of "Annie's Song," consists of the words "You came on my pillow..." sung by a John Denver sound-alike before the strangling occurs.

Last edited by BobB : 10-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:35 PM   #27
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
I also have their Matching Tie & Handkerchief album, which is, as far as I know, the only three-sided phonograph record ever made. One side is normal, the other side actually has two concentric spiral tracks. Depending where the needle happens to drop at the start, you get either one track or the other. Insanely disconcerting the first time you discover it, and irreproducible on a CD.
The portion of the documentary that aired Tuesday night, I think it was, went into detail about this. (Turned out there had been some earlier records using the same principle, including a record that was the call of a horse race, with a different result in each groove.)
Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #28
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
You mean my copy of that, which has the John Denver bit, is a collectible now?
Apparently, but when I checked eBay, a number of people were selling the LP, although there is no mention of it being "the John Denver version".

Quote:
Cool! I also have their Matching Tie & Handkerchief album, which is, as far as I know, the only three-sided phonograph record ever made. One side is normal, the other side actually has two concentric spiral tracks. Depending where the needle happens to drop at the start, you get either one track or the other. Insanely disconcerting the first time you discover it, and irreproducible on a CD.
For some strange reason, whenever I played Side B of that album, I always got the same track, so I didn't know about the "third side" until I saw the track list on a cassette version years later - and even then, I never could get one of the tracks to start at the beginning.

-- Don
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #29
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
[*]The problem they had when ABC wanted to air Season 4:
Spoiler:
They cut a deal with ABC to air the six episodes on two nights of ABC's old Wide World of Entertainment show (a 90-minute block from 11:30 PM to 1 AM to compete with Johnny Carson), after taking great pains to make sure that each 90-minute show would consist of three full episodes (instead of bits and pieces from all six), but when they saw the cuts ABC had made to the first three, they tried to get an injunction to keep ABC from airing the other three (which failed, although they did get ABC to agree not to air them again).
Spoilerized question:
Spoiler:

I'm not meaning to nitpick words.. But you say "full episodes" and then say "cuts ABC had made..". So I presume you mean "three episodes edited into a 90 minute program", rather than a smorgasbord of skits from various episodes... right?

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #30
trainman
Nice to see you

Yes, as far as I know, the two "Wide World of Entertainment" broadcasts consisted of Series 4's episodes 1, 2, and 3, and episodes 4, 5, and 6 -- with chunks edited out to account for the commercial breaks.