TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

The Big C: Hereafter "The Finale" 5/20/2013

We knew how this would end, three years and 40 episodes ago. Didn't make it any easier. But damn, I really enjoyed the ride.

I could make some remark about how dusty it is, or some such nonsense. But the truth is, the tears came freely.

Lucky me.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
zalusky

Ditto!

I am sure all of us felt some connection to someone we know. My connection was being a kidney donor and watching my step kids deal with their fathers death by melanoma. I also just had a stage 0 melanoma in situ taken out of my wrist and a follow up margin treatment today. My wrist hurts as I type.

I don't want my identification to this episode to get any closer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-21-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Resist

I'm a bit upset that my Tivo didn't record this episode, even though I have a Season pass for it.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
I'm a bit upset that my Tivo didn't record this episode, even though I have a Season pass for it.
Each of the first 3 episodes didn't record the first or even the 2nd attempts for one reason or another. It's like Showtime was doing some kind of maintenance when they were airing the later broadcasts. Then the finale seemed to be recording fine for once. We sat down to watch it and about 10 minutes near the ending the screen was filled with marching pixels and no audio. It's recording again now.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
Resist

My Tivo didn't record any of the season 4 episodes and I don't get why.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
My Tivo didn't record any of the season 4 episodes and I don't get why.
The show's title changed so you needed a new season pass.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

A few interviews...

Executive producers Darlene Hunt and Jenny Bicks talk with THR about the conclusion of the Laura Linney series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...s-cathy-524782

Laura Linney on the Poignant Value of 'The Big C'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-finale-448040
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
sharkster

Do some people STILL not check the 'Season Pass' forum here? I posted about the name change for the final season, in plenty of time.

Anyhoo, I just watched the finale yesterday. Wow! This show did itself justice to the end. I loved that it wasn't just a straight line to the end - lots of peripheral stuff and turns.

The only kind of strange piece for me was when he came in with the flowers (those are what peonies look like? They just looked like old roses to me - that's how much I know about flora, though) and she said something like 'oh, they are beautiful' but that didn't actually happen because she was already dead. Was that just his perception/expectation before he was forced to accept the reality?

I just have really fallen in love with Laura Linney with this show. I hope there is an Emmy in her near future.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Do some people STILL not check the 'Season Pass' forum here? I posted about the name change for the final season, in plenty of time.

Anyhoo, I just watched the finale yesterday. Wow! This show did itself justice to the end. I loved that it wasn't just a straight line to the end - lots of peripheral stuff and turns.

The only kind of strange piece for me was when he came in with the flowers (those are what peonies look like? They just looked like old roses to me - that's how much I know about flora, though) and she said something like 'oh, they are beautiful' but that didn't actually happen because she was already dead. Was that just his perception/expectation before he was forced to accept the reality?

I just have really fallen in love with Laura Linney with this show. I hope there is an Emmy in her near future.
I thought about this for a while as well. My perception is its about her and how she wanted life to be. A lot of times people sleep a lot at the end and are reflecting on their lives.

We saw earlier examples where she saw the oncologist and yet he had already passed. It seems she was trying to clean up many loose ends and this was another one with her husband as well as her brother for that matter.

You noticed they never really showed what happened to them afterwards. My feeling is we really don't know if the transplant happened or what happened to the rest. It was more about this is how she wished things would play out.

Her telling her Dad she loved him and forgave him was amazing because it freed them both. Not everybody has that opportunity or the maturity. The way things were going though I am still not even sure if that happened or if it was all a death dream.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

I'm always amazed when people miss SP news. I have the SP forum set up to email me every time there is any post in any thread new or old. Activity in that forum is not so high to be a problem, and you only get one email a day.

I've loved LL since she appeared in Armistead Maupin's various "Tales of the City". They were a mini-series that aired on SHOwtime back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Very under-rated series, and I've never seen them rerun since.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

So sweet of Adam to work so hard to graduate early...and I loved how he kept faking out Cathy - "I have to go study...I have to go play basketball..." and then she thought maybe he had failed junior year...what a grand gesture...

And I liked how they showed us that Cathy's "therapist" was in the afterlife, and she was telling her the story of her death...and the therapist said "Oh, I'm not supposed to have an opinion..." So no judgment? Interesting....

Then she gets to float in a pool ....ahhhh....HEAVEN!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
sharkster

Oh yeah, I forgot about the part with Adam graduating early for his mom. That was awesome.

There were so many excellent things packed into this last hour that I think I'm going to have to watch the episode again.

BTW, as an FYI for anybody who missed it, I was just cruising through the Tivo guide and found that all four Season 4 episodes are re-airing on Saturday (5/25).
Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
And I liked how they showed us that Cathy's "therapist" was in the afterlife, and she was telling her the story of her death...and the therapist said "Oh, I'm not supposed to have an opinion..." So no judgment? Interesting....
I had forgotten about that. When that happened, I wanted to go back and watch all the scenes with her and see if it was obvious (in hindsight, of course) that she was imaginary. Sort of a Sixth Sense feeling came over me.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I had forgotten about that. When that happened, I wanted to go back and watch all the scenes with her and see if it was obvious (in hindsight, of course) that she was imaginary. Sort of a Sixth Sense feeling came over me.
Yeah...I bet they are both wearing the same clothes in every scene, for example...

It was also sweet that Cathy's a-hole dad gave her $400 for flowers-and she gave the $$ to her chatty hospice nurse, Ina (or is that EYE-na? ) and enjoyed some of Ina's lard-filled pie...

And the woman at the flower store told Paul, "Someone's a lucky lady" when he bought the peonies....I choked up when she said that....
Old 05-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
brebeans

Quote:

I've loved LL since she appeared in Armistead Maupin's various "Tales of the City". They were a mini-series that aired on SHOwtime back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Very under-rated series, and I've never seen them rerun since.
Yes...! She was awesome in that series and the series was terrific. The series of books, Tales of the City, More Tales of the City, Further Tales of the City, etc. Excellent!! quick read, fun and funny!!
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
i remember the controversy when pbs aired the original "tales of the city" - it wasn't shown on our local pbs affiliate due to objections over some of the subject matter. so, of course, that made it even more popular, and everyone just had to see it!

that's when i fell in love with ll, too.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
sharkster

Interesting analysis, Zalusky. I'm going to wait a few more days and watch it again. Some things I might have taken a little too literally and now, in retrospect from having seen it all and from reading some of the analyses here, I'll have a broader perspective.

Don't forget, for whomever missed the 4 episode season, it is re-airing this coming Saturday - all in a row, starting (IIRC) at 3pm pacific time.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i remember the controversy when pbs aired the original "tales of the city"
I remember that also - I believe it was the first televised gay kiss on TV.

I really liked this show and thought Laura Linney was great. This 4 episode finale seemed to have a more serious tone than the previous episodes but I guess that is to be expected.

I had some questions about the series if anyone remembers...

Wasn't one of the final episodes in the previous season about running a 5K race and the end of that it turned out the Oliver Platt character died at the finish line from his heart disease - or am I crazy? Or was it another character and I'm just remembering it wrong?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #19
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

paul had a heart attack at the end of season 2. cathy sees him standing with lee and marlene at the finish line of the marathon, then they show him on the floor of the insurance office with paramedics.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #20
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
paul had a heart attack at the end of season 2. cathy sees him standing with lee and marlene at the finish line of the marathon, then they show him on the floor of the insurance office with paramedics.
thanks - i dunno why i thought he was dead.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #21
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
thanks - i dunno why i thought he was dead.
i think you were right, he was dead, but just for a moment.