TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Season Pass Alerts
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
LynnL999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 288
Sinbad and Primeval New World

If you're interested in either of these upcoming SyFy shows, which premiere on Saturday June 8, you will need to set your season passes to record new and repeats. Both of these shows suffer from the common UK/Canada original air date issue.

I don't know why it is that a show like Rookie Blue can appear as new on ABC, but shows on SyFy (and many on BBC America) always appear as repeats.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,580
Just a FYI,

Primeval New World was canceled after one season in Canada.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
I don't know why it is that a show like Rookie Blue can appear as new on ABC, but shows on SyFy (and many on BBC America) always appear as repeats.
Because whether or not an episode is treated as new is based on the Original Air Date (OAD) and "Rookie Blue" doesn't air in Canada months before it airs in the U.S.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
Just a FYI,

Primeval New World was canceled after one season in Canada.
And Sinbad was not renewed for a second season in England, either.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
LynnL999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, California
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Because whether or not an episode is treated as new is based on the Original Air Date (OAD) and "Rookie Blue" doesn't air in Canada months before it airs in the U.S.
Fair enough. But I don't really care -- this has been a problem for years, and TiVo and Tribune should have figured out a way to distinguish original US air date (for US TiVo users) from original air date somewhere else. It's annoying to constantly be getting reruns of shows like Lost Girl, Continuum, etc. because of this.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
WhiskeyTango
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And Sinbad was not renewed for a second season in England, either.
If that's the case then I'll pass on this one.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Fair enough. But I don't really care -- this has been a problem for years, and TiVo and Tribune should have figured out a way to distinguish original US air date (for US TiVo users) from original air date somewhere else. It's annoying to constantly be getting reruns of shows like Lost Girl, Continuum, etc. because of this.
I sort of agree but I'm not sure there is any easy way to fix it that will make everyone happy. At least the issue no longer applies to either "Lost Girl" or "Dr. Who" as they now both appear in the U.S. soon enough after their OAD so that they are picked up by an FRO SP.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,370
Do they both end OK or do they end in cliff hangers?
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |