TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Agatha Mystery

Bates Motel S01E08 - A Boy and His Dog

I'm guessing we might be better off next season doing just one thread for the whole season, as these don't seem to get much traction.

Norman getting into taxidermy cracks me up. I guess it's the foreshadowing of him stuffing his mom (as in the movie). I'm sure Norma is going to love it when Norman brings that dog home.

The guy that plays Emma's dad reminds me of an American actor and it was jolting to hear the accent. I thought, 'man, he does that accent well'. Then, doing some googling, I realized it wasn't the guy I thought it was. It's the guy who played Professor Quirrell in the first Harry Potter movie.

So, Norma was going off to change, rather than get the trimmers their rooms. That just seemed odd to me. It wouldn't take them long to get out of the van, so they'd have to wait. Of course, it's all about Norma, so that isn't surprising. I did like the fact that she was trying to reach out to her other son a bit. You could see he had such conflicting emotions going on about that. Probably good that she didn't check them in, though, because next episode, the place will be crawling with cops.

Speaking of, Norma just doesn't know when to quit. They had her looking completely out of control this episode (I guess to make the psychologist correct). Going to the sheriff to get him to back her in the election seemed oddly out of character. I wonder what his deal is, how he plays into all this stuff.

We hear that Gil has a big boss. So, another layer of bad guys.

I wonder about the dude working "for" Dylan. He gave Dylan a recommendation to not take the trimmer guy in the van. Dylan was probably smart to ignore that recommendation, as he couldn't know the guy's motivation. Dumping him later could be bad, depending on how well this guy 'trims'. However, Dylan asserting his authority when he did is good for the other trimmers, as they will now see Dylan as an authority, as well as the guy who works for Dylan. Dylan blindly following him is a bad idea if he wants to have any sort of control.

So, Shelby's autopsied corpse on the bed - that was a shocker. Did the guy from room 9 dig up the corpse? Had Shelby not been buried yet? Norma is just an idiot. Following the guy just seems like a bad idea. I'm guessing room 9 guy is looking for the journal that Norman has.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

total WAG speculation on my part.
I'm considering that Room 9 guy is the big boss for the pot growers, this explains him needing the whole motel every few months.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Agatha Mystery

I figured he was the head of the guys who were part of the human trafficking ring. The girls were chained in the motel rooms, remember? He went back to Keith's boat (I assume that was Keith's boat), searching for something. He was obviously involved with officer Shelby, who we know was part of the ring, as he had the slave in his basement, then in Keith's boat.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
I figured he was the head of the guys who were part of the human trafficking ring. The girls were chained in the motel rooms, remember? He went back to Keith's boat (I assume that was Keith's boat), searching for something. He was obviously involved with officer Shelby, who we know was part of the ring, as he had the slave in his basement, then in Keith's boat.
I think we could also both be correct
Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I'm guessing that he's searching for the slave girl's book.
I agree with Agatha that he was definitely in cahoots with Shelby and Summers in the sex slave ring.

Yes, Norma was out of control but it also shows how she doesn't want anyone to think that there's any problem with her and Norman.
That they are "normal".

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
stellie93

I think the sheriff is involved in the drug ring but not the human trafficking ring.
What a town. I loved Norma explaining to the taxidermy guy that it wasn't weird for him, but it would be for Norman.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
sharkster

Yeah, the Sheriff is definitely dirty. I'm just not sure HOW dirty.

Smart of Norma to check out the taxidermy situation. I kind of hope we don't head into that area but, OTOH, I suppose it would be fitting.

I wasn't surprised to see Norma trying to manipulate the Sheriff to get something. She does that very well. I would imagine that a lot of guys would be all over that.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Norman getting into taxidermy cracks me up. I guess it's the foreshadowing of him stuffing his mom (as in the movie).
I was thinking about all the stuffed birds in the movie. I didn't think he stuffed his mom, because her head was so decomposed it was almost only a skull.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Agatha Mystery

It's been a very long time since I've seen the movie (never watched the remake - didn't see the reason to). I probably should.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

Thanks for starting this thread, I was going to start it to ask whats a "trimmer"? I feel like I missed something.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #11
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
total WAG speculation on my part.
I'm considering that Room 9 guy is the big boss for the pot growers, this explains him needing the whole motel every few months.
What we have seen is an outdoor operation, which I believe means one harvest per year.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
Thanks for starting this thread, I was going to start it to ask whats a "trimmer"? I feel like I missed something.
It's the guys who are "trimming" the weed from the fields. It's explained in the show.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

Thanks, I knew I missed something, I thought they were a band and the lead singer got kicked out by gun point on the way...made no sense to me.
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Agatha Mystery

The lead trimmer was trying to get the rest of the group to 'revolt' by not going back to their fields the next year. That would make Dylan look very bad. He couldn't have that. So he just kicked out the troublemaker.