TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

NBC Cancels Go On - Rock Center - Up all Night - Guys With Kids and 1600 Penn

NBC also announced Friday that it has axed its news magazine “Rock Center with Brian Williams,” as well as “Go On,” a rookie comedy starring Matthew Perry that had a promising start before its ratings collapsed.

On Thursday, the network said it is canceling fellow rookie comedies “Up All Night,” “Guys with Kids” and “1600 Penn.”

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/...rama-ironside/

Sorry to see Go On didn't make it. I liked it. No regrets on any of the others. Really glad to see that Whitney got the axe.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
farleyruskz
Nunya

I enjoyed Rock Center but it clearly wasn't doing well, given how often it moved around on the schedule.
farleyruskz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

and Smash. And The New Normal

I am gonna have to [eventually] delete a lot of stuff from my Season Pass manager.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
sieglinde

I tried 1600 Penn and deleted all of it when learning it was canceled. A warm humorous family rather than silly slapstick could have carried this show.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
waynomo
My One Time

I'm surprised they kept Community. I'm not complaining, as I tend to really enjoy it, but I am surprised considering everything else they have canceled.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I am REALLY sad about The New Normal. Such a great show. I hope someone else picks it up. The show should have never been on NBC in the first place. It would have fit in better on ABC or FOX.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

I liked Go On, but the premise wasn't strong enough to keep it going.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked Go On a lot but it went missing on the schedule for long periods and I gave up on trying to find it to watch it.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
I liked Go On a lot but it went missing on the schedule for long periods and I gave up on trying to find it to watch it.
No TiVo?

I'll miss Go On, Happy Endings, The New Normal...and even Whitney.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
Except for a one-month break in Dec. (which is pretty common due to the holidays), it was as consistent as most shows.

http://epguides.com/goon/
Old 05-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I liked both New Normal and 1600Penn, too bad. NBC will be really light on the sitcoms now.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

They will pick up a bunch of new pilots. How many of these cancelled shows were new? Isn't it like all of them?

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
JoBeth66
Temp

I'll miss Go On, we enjoyed that one a lot, even though he was essentially playing Chandler Bing.
JoBeth66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
sharkster

I'm like this close to being completely over trying to watch network sitcoms anymore.

'The New Normal' was a good show. It even had a kid that I liked in it, and I don't particularly like kids and will go out of my way to avoid them.

I also really liked 'Go On' but I can see how it would have its limitations.

I watched 'Whitney' and '1600 Penn'. I didn't love either of them but thought Whitney would make it. At least she has '2 Broke Girls'.

I really liked 'Rock Center' and will miss that one a lot. It was the only 'magazine' show that I managed to watch. I haven't watched 48 Hours (is that still on?), 20/20, or 60 Minutes in years. Love the Brian.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
They will pick up a bunch of new pilots. How many of these cancelled shows were new? Isn't it like all of them?
By my count, Revolution is the only new show on NBC the season that will be back for a second season (Hannibal is up in the air right now, and it sounds like a decision on it is still a week or two away, even though their fall schedule will be announced next week).

I find it funny that for the last two years, NBC has talked about airing comedies with a more broad-based appeal than the critically-acclaimed but ratings-poor Parks & Rec and Community, and now, their only returning comedies next season are P&R and Community.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I find it funny that for the last two years, NBC has talked about airing comedies with a more broad-based appeal than the critically-acclaimed but ratings-poor Parks & Rec and Community, and now, their only returning comedies next season are P&R and Community.
Perhaps having been focused on the niche comedies for so long, they no longer have the ability to see what the broader based public actually finds funny. Broad based comedy doesn't have to mean stupid. Animal Practice anyone?

"Hey people like monkeys right? How about a show with a monkey working at a Veterinarians office? Comedy GOLD!"
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
mattack

Bummer, Rock Center is a pretty good newsmagazine. I like Brian Williams, that's the major reason I like it, I guess..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Did NBC blame Aereo?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

How many more seasons has NBC got left? Who is going to want to watch any of their new shows next season? They will probably just cancel them anymore. At least they kept the two funniest shows on TV right now, Parks and Rec and Community. The New Normal should have been put on Thursday nights.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
tem

Up All Night was not a "rookie" comedy. The first season was decent. The second, a disaster.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #21
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
... They will probably just cancel them anymore....
I don't understand this sentence. Is it the same as "they will probably just cancel them" ?

getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #22
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I at least tried all of these. “Go On,”, “Up All Night”, “Guys with Kids”, "Whitney" and “1600 Penn.”

"Go On" must have been in its second season? I only saw 2-3 episodes of it. I didn't even realize it was still on.

I only lasted about 5 minutes with "Guys with Kids".

Josh Gad's character was awful in "1600 Penn".

"Whitney" I actually watched about 8 episodes of before giving up.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #23
cheesesteak
Meh.

I never even heard of Rock Center or Up All Night

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #24
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Man that is a lot of SP I will have to remove from my SP manager. Sure it doesn't make a difference in the performance of my TiVo, but it will bug me later when organizing season passes on my TiVo.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I only lasted about 5 minutes with "Guys with Kids".
Same here. I never heard if that one panned out. I actually figured it was gone long ago. But it was probably the show I dropped the fastest in all my tv-watching history.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #26
astrohip
Stuart F

In the spirit of remembering the deceased...

Go On -- I really liked this show. The chemistry among the ensemble was great. I know some wondered how it could go on, but I was happy just to watch the group get together every week. Sad it couldn't find an audience.

Rock Center -- never watched, I don't do news shows. I do record & watch NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams every day; I like him, think he's the best news anchor currently active. But never watched Rock Center.

Up All Night -- terrible show. Watched a few episodes, from the pilot on, trying to like it. Or maybe trying to understand it would be a better phrase. Never saw the humor, poorly written, terrible cast (Maya Rudolph?). TPTB must have heard the same feeback from millions, as they continually tried to retool it.

Guys with Kids -- 15 minutes into the pilot, SP cancelled. Sorry, I know that's not fair with sitcoms (they take time to "percolate"), but this show sucked.

1600 Penn -- really tried to like this, as I love several of the cast. But as I said numerous times in individual 1600P threads, this was a frickin' disaster. What could have been a well-written, hilarious ensemble comedy, turned out to be the Josh Gad show. He is not strong enough to be a show, and his over-the-top character just destroyed the rest of the show. It had no chance because of him (which I assume is because of the writers).

Whitney -- I liked this show. It really grew on me this year, with the addition of the bartender character. It was funny, in a Whitney Cummings psycho personality kinda way. I won't lament its passing (like I will Go On), but it was fun to watch.

The New Normal -- another one I couldn't stand. I watched maybe two episodes, and the 2nd was as bad as the pilot. It was written in such a cartoony stereotypical-gay way, that for me it was unwatchable. If you're gonna write over-the-top, you really need to be good (see Steve Levitan & Chris Lloyd). And these guys weren't close to good.

Smash -- never watched, not my genre.

Ok, I think that's all the NBC disastros...
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #27
TonyD79

I liked Go On. Nice ensemble feel to it. Quirky but stable. Would've had to move off the death of the wife eventually but it was less than a year.

Liked Nee Normal. Started cartoony but solid characters and message of love above all worked especially when Grandma got in the groove.

Hated 1600 Penn and the Kids show.

Up All Night didn't know what it wanted to be. The chemistry between the leads made you think it would be contentious love but it wasn't. They went over the top with the diva character and the brother. First season was starting to settle in then they "fixed" it and made it impossible. A show about two unlikely parents became just a show about neurotic people. Bye!

Liked Whitney. It was the show Up All Night wanted to be. But won't miss it now that it is gone.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
How many more seasons has NBC got left? Who is going to want to watch any of their new shows next season? They will probably just cancel them anymore. At least they kept the two funniest shows on TV right now, Parks and Rec and Community. The New Normal should have been put on Thursday nights.
NBC is making a downsizing move. They're getting rid all those pesky TV programs.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Maybe they are making room for another 10pm Leno slot.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #30
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Maybe they are making room for another 10pm Leno slot.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote