TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #61
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

It's made it onto ZDNet now:
http://www.zdnet.com/amys-baking-com...ow-7000015434/.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #62
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

The waitress's AMA has the top spot on Reddit right now.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #63
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #64
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
Definitely true.
The science involved in cooking and baking is quite different, so it's not surprising that people specialize in one thing or the other.

But a restaurant called "so-and-so's BAKING company" that doesn't make their own baked goods? Oy!

That's like the seafood restaurants at the seaside that don't buy from the fishermen bringing in fresh fish every day, but stock their walk-ins with frozen stuff shipped in from somewhere else. And we all know how Ramsay feels about that, right?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #65
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Amy made some argument that Walmart doesn't tell people that their branded products aren't made by them and she doesn't have to either. Customers are paying for her eye for good product apparently no matter the source. lol
i was gonna say that wm doesnt make anything (that i know of), but then again i somehow doubt she's the only person that thinks wm actually makes products

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #66
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I guess there's never been a more appropriate thread to say...

The cake is a lie!!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #67
garyh
Mizzou-Rah

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i was gonna say that wm doesnt make anything (that i know of), but then again i somehow doubt she's the only person that thinks wm actually makes products
Actually, our Walmart does in fact bake and decorate cakes on site, and they are decent cakes for the price - but not the quality of a good stand alone bakery by any stretch of the imagination, so Walmart is better than Amy's for fresh cakes.
garyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #68
sharkster

LMAO Skippy!
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #69
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

the saga continues...

ok, this bunny keeps on going and going and going...

amy's have prepared a press release on their grand re-opening:
http://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange...to-get-weirder
and have hired a questionable pr guy to help with the re-launch:
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...jason_rose.php

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #70
pmyers

Quote:
The owners will likely be holding a press conference before the Grand Re-Opening and answer falsehoods depicted on a reality television show, including assertions that the restaurant confiscates tips from servers.

In fact, wait staff is paid $8-$14 per hour, two and half to nearly five times the standard hourly wage for servers.
How can they argue they confiscated tips? He admitted it. It doesn't matter that they pay more than minimum server wages, the fact remains that people left money as a tip for the server and he took every cent of it.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #71
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
How can they argue they confiscated tips? He admitted it. It doesn't matter that they pay more than minimum server wages, the fact remains that people left money as a tip for the server and he took every cent of it.
Guess they are saying the workers aren't getting shortchanged in wages. $8-$14 per hour = $Minimum AZ wage for tipped worker 4.80+tips . Given how poor their food/service is the workers probably weren't making huge tips anyway. Still don't think they are following the intent of the law but it may not be a federal offense.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #72
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Guess they are saying the workers aren't getting shortchanged in wages. $8-$14 per hour = $Minimum AZ wage for tipped worker 4.80+tips . Given how poor their food/service is the workers probably weren't making huge tips anyway. Still don't think they are following the intent of the law but it may not be a federal offense.
Are they reporting that income on their taxes?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #73
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
That might be the million dollar question there. I'd bet they aren't. That'd suck to go through an audit for this.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #74
Ment

Quote:
Depends if it was income to them. It could just have normalized wages among the employees, ie weekend shift workers take home the same as weekday. But the way they were doing it doesn't fit into tip pooling methods sometimes used for wait staff so it may run afoul of some labor laws. I'm sure with all this attention they'll get reviewed by some agencies.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #75
inaka

Quote:
Let's see...judging by Amy lying on national TV and saying that she alone baked all of the desserts in the case, and judging by Amy being a felon, I'm going to have to guess that's a big a NO on that.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #76
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Depends if it was income to them. It could just have normalized wages among the employees, ie weekend shift workers take home the same as weekday. But the way they were doing it doesn't fit into tip pooling methods sometimes used for wait staff so it may run afoul of some labor laws. I'm sure with all this attention they'll get reviewed by some agencies.
Yes, I've heard about a tip pool but as I understand it, here, the owners were pocketing the money, not redistributing it among the shift.

That makes it income either to the business or them personally.

(And I know that the IRS considers tips for Wait Staff, income.)

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #77
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I guess there's never been a more appropriate thread to say...

The cake is a lie!!

Omg. I loved portal!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #78
VC25a

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ernet/?hpid=z7
VC25a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #79
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

I loved this!!

Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #80
pmyers

Quote:
I understand their justification (they are paying a higher hourly wage in leu of tips, which of course no restraunt on the planet does that I've ever heard of), but they cannot deny they are taking tips from the servers. That's exactly what they showed and admitted to.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #81
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
There's a funny thing about the food industry -- cooking and baking are like two completely different countries, although they sometimes co-exist in the same space. The Great Divide is often revealed on shows like Top Chef, The Taste, etc. when the chefs are asked to make a dessert and you find out they've never made one.

It probably would have been obvious to any pastry chef that the baked goods were made off-site, just as Ramsey can spot all the food that isn't cooked fresh. But I don't know how much experience Ramsey has himself, doing desserts or baking.
I'm sure if he'd really gotten to spend time in the kitchen he'd notice the lack of any prep baking etc..
Old 05-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #82
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
I understand their justification (they are paying a higher hourly wage in leu of tips, which of course no restraunt on the planet does that I've ever heard of), but they cannot deny they are taking tips from the servers. That's exactly what they showed and admitted to.
Well, there are certainly plenty of places not in the USA that do. The "tip 15-20% on a restaurant check" is NOT a global thing my any means.

But even within the USA, I know of some places where the meal price is service inclusive.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #83
billboard_NE
North Shore MA

Quote:
Very fishy, they are not servers, their title was food runner, or something like that, also there has to be a tie into Sammy entering all the orders into the POS, maybe "food runners" can't enter orders into the kitchen directly.

very slimy
billboard_NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #84
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
very slimy
agreed. legal or not, i bet if abc disclosed up front "the person waiting on you gets none of the tip, the tip goes to the owners", there would be a big drop in tips.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #85
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by billboard_NE View Post
Very fishy, they are not servers, their title was food runner, or something like that, also there has to be a tie into Sammy entering all the orders into the POS, maybe "food runners" can't enter orders into the kitchen directly.

very slimy
I think there was 1 "food runner" and 1 "waitress/order taker"
Old 05-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #86
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
agreed. legal or not, i bet if abc disclosed up front "the person waiting on you gets none of the tip, the tip goes to the owners", there would be a big drop in tips.
Yeah, it seems like ethically it would only be right to have that fact posted for all to see. It's underhanded to allow customers to think they are tipping their servers (or whatever the abc bunch wants to CALL them) when that goes to the owners who were the ones who made the experience less than good.

Seems like the servers are working their butts off to take care of the customers (i.e. earning those tips) while the owners are a big clusterf*k (yet they GET the tips). So wrong.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #87
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Wow I just got a change.org email for a petition asking the US Department of Labor to investigate them.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #88
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

She falls below the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal. I actually feel bad for Samy as I think he might be an ok guy without Amy. He was very passive and I think afraid of his own wife and when she got mad, he just agreed with her.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #89
Boston Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
She falls below the Vicky Mendoza Diagonal. I actually feel bad for Samy as I think he might be an ok guy without Amy. He was very passive and I think afraid of his own wife and when she got mad, he just agreed with her.
But he's a gangster!
Boston Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #90
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The tip thing is because tips are usually CASH, and payroll is on the books. Doh!

Samy wants the CASH.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote