Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Kitchen Nightmares - Amy's Baking Company - 05/10/2013

To quote Chef Ramsay - Wow.

The owners were complete psycho's. Everyone was out to get them, everyone was wrong but them, no one would even let her talk.

And he was a gangster. Old school Vegas I guess.

First time ever that Gordon walked away without helping.

No way they can stay in business.

This is the owner's post on FB regarding the episode:

https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingc...51527646142900

Crazy Amy.

They are trying to defend the owner's taking the tips by saying the servers are paid hourly. Definitely not industry standard, but regardless it should be something the customers are aware of.

Last edited by Donbadabon : 05-10-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
robojerk

This was on Reddit with a youtube link yesterday (already aired in Canada I guess). I suggest watching this episode, won't dissapoint.

These people are crazy..

Their Yelp rating.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

An interview with the customer who was told to F off:
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...ona_taping.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

it made for good dramatic television, but i feel really sad for the owners. they're delusional, have no idea what's going on around them, and never will.

since they don't understand social media, they simply dismiss all of it unconditionally, instead of learning how to identify and use honest feedback as a tool. don't get me started on their paranoia - afraid of what they don't understand, and unwilling to listen to anyone.

how two business owners could invite one of the most successful counterparts in their industry, and respond with blanket dismissal, is beyond me. it was a golden opportunity for them to correct past mistakes and thrive as a reborn establishment, and they blew it.

i won't wish for their downfall, i only hope they finally learn a lesson from this, the most recent feedback. if they don't, the market will take care of them soon enough.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
ncsercs
DirecTivo fan.......

A lot of these yelp 'reviews' came within the last several days. I wonder.....

Every day I beat my own previous record for the number of consecutive
days I've stayed alive. - George Carlin - 1996

1 TiVo Series3 / 1 DTV H24 / 2 DTV HR24
ncsercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
yeah, i wondered the same. if they thought dissing their own customers was bad, wait 'till they feel the wrath of dissing ramsey on national tv.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 05-12-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: sp
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Azlen

The owner must have a huge amount of money stashed away because I don't see how they stay in business for as long as they have been. The rent in that part of town isn't cheap and they couldn't be making any money.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:07 AM   #8
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
it made for good dramatic television, but i feel really sad for the owners.
I don't feel sorry for them at all.
Karma.

That was a great episode.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
FireMen2003

I just watched it and the owners were crazy. Whoa.

Then again, the wife was not much different from other KN owners who ignore Ramsey.
FireMen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsercs View Post
Yeah. I sorted by date and the a huge flood of them showed up after the ep aired. I glanced thru a few and some of those were definitely posted by people who'd never eaten there.

For ones that pre-date the show, they're all over the map.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
it made for good dramatic television, but i feel really sad for the owners. they're delusional, have no idea what's going on around them, and never will.

since they don't understand social media, they simply dismiss all of it unconditionally, instead of learning how to identify and use honest feedback as a tool. don't get me started on their paranoia - afraid of what they don't understand, and unwilling to listen to anyone.
Totally agreed!

This was a great ep! It was total riot. Those owners are nuts and yeah their practice of keeping the tips is questionable, if not illegal. Someone commented in the FB post w/quotes from http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs15.htm.

It really is too bad that Amy just couldn't take any criticism. She just didn't want to listen to any of it.

One of the Yelp "reviews" says:
Quote:
Seems like tshe is planning on suing Ramsey for the failed business shes a scammer and seems this was all planned long ago that and getting husbands money too while she still can bag older men with $$

OH her Prison and Probation FILE
http://www.findforms.com/pdf_files/azd/20255/86-1.pdf

Oh Tastes like Papa Johns pizza. Wouldn't be surprised they order that and serve it and tack on 5 bucks ?
(I've edited the URL to point directly at the PDF instead of using Yelp's redirector.)

Last edited by cwerdna : 05-13-2013 at 03:33 AM.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
newsposter
Poster of News

ill add this to the 'they have to be acting, no one is like this' box i keep on my bureau.

when amy watches herself on tv, id love to hear what she thinks about how she is acting. there were moments at the table where she knew she was wrong and got the water from the far fridge. but the 50 vs 100 employees fired in a year pretty much tells it all. wouldnt word get around that if you work here you are stupid or are people that desperate? id do any fast food place vs this place!

i wonder if the other customers left after the pizza guy was kicked out. no way woudl i stay.and id be happy to call the cops. get in the newspaper, and get all the negative publicity out there.

do you think how clean and organized it was was a setup by the producers. they never showed this before on tv like they did this time.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
sharkster

I finally watched it yesterday. I'm kind of thinking that the cleanliness thing was set up, but the vibe I got was that the owners were the ones who did that. As much as she cannot take criticism, there is no defending a filthy kitchen. It was just WAY too perfect, what with everything perfectly placed and labeled. Who knows.

I don't feel badly for them either. They are delusional by choice, IMO.

Did the business go under? Somebody mentioned the failing of the business. I hope they get seriously called on pulling the tips from the servers.

I would be interested in knowing what happened with the restaurant after this was over. I also get a weird feeling that she didn't make all those desserts. She had lied about having made some of the other things.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't think they are doing anything illegal by keeping the tips if they are paying them at/above minimum wage.

Usually positions that are "tipped" have a lower minimum hourly wage.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
newsposter
Poster of News

if the male owner stated they have over 100 employees turned over in a year, wouldnt you think at least 1 would picket outside the store

i would think a sign saying owner keeps all tips would be factually correct...and then he could indeed confirm that 'everyone' is out to get him

!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
inaka

Did they ever talk about the financials of the restaurant?
This was the first time I don't remember ever hearing, "We're losing $$$$$ a month" and so on. I could have missed it though.

It was also the first time I've ever seen Ramsay like the food (the baked goods) aside from one other BBC Nightmares where he also liked the dessert from some place, but hated the food. (Turns out the desserts were made by someone other than that owner.)

The solution is clear.
Amy should close the restaurant and open a bakery.

Problem solved.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
FireMen2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
Did they ever talk about the financials of the restaurant?
This was the first time I don't remember ever hearing, "We're losing $$$$$ a month" and so on. I could have missed it though.

The solution is clear.

Problem solved.
Nope besides the $1 million invested into the store.
FireMen2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Quote:
The solution is clear.

Problem solved.
This.

Incidentally, these people are not abnormal for Scottsdale. I couldn't get out of that city fast enough.
Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
ill add this to the 'they have to be acting, no one is like this' box i keep on my bureau.
This was going on long before Kitchen Nightmares. Here's a link to a story back in 2010 about how she reacted to a negative Yelp review.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...son_on_yel.php

It even made the local news back in 2010

Amy Bouzaglo of Amy's Baking Company on the news regarding a Yelp revie
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #19
Azlen

Wow, their facebook page is in pure meltdown mode right now. Kinda sad

https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco
Some examples. I'll skip over the more profane ones.

YOU DONT KNOW US!! WE WILL THRIVE! WE WILL OVERCOME! WE ARE STARTING OUR FAMILY, AND WE WILL TEACH OUR CHILD EXACTLY WHAT >>GOD<< WANTS IN THEIR PATH. WE WILL TEACH THEM HOW TO FIGHT AGAINST OPRESSORS LIKE YOU PEOPLE! WE WILL START A GENERATION OF TRUTHFULLNESS AND WE WILL FIGHT TO BRING PLACES LIKE, YELP AND REDDIT, AND HORRIBLE PEOPLE LIKE GORDON TO THE LIGHT

I AM WONDER WOMAN. I AM A GREAT CHEF, A GREAT WIFE, AND A GREAT MOM TO MY KIDS. AND WE WILL BE PARENTS TO A HUMAN KID, ONE DAY TO. WE WILL SHOW ALL OF YOU.

You are all little punks. Nothing. you are all nothing. We are laughing at you. All of you, just fools. We have God on our side, you just have your sites.

This is Samy. I am keeping note of all names here. We will be pursuing action against you legaly, and against reddit and yelp, for this plot you have come together on. you are all just punks.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #20
DLL66

Meow...Meow...Meow
DLL66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I like this gem:

Quote:
TO REDDIT. I FORBID YOU FROM SPREADING YOUR HATE ON THAT SITE. THIS IS MY FACEBOOK, AND I AM NOT ALLOWING YOU TO USE MY COMPANY ON YOUR HATE FILLED PAGE.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
newsposter
Poster of News

i have to ask..who's letting them have a human kid? they need a robot with a paranoid chip

!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
inaka

Woah, woah, woah, based on their FB page, she doesn't even bake the cakes?! WTF? She blatantly lied on national TV about baking all the goods in the case.

Then on their FB page when people called them out about it, Amy goes on to talk about how they resell the cakes:

Quote:
WE DO NOT NEED THIS. YOU STUPID PEOPLE. AMERICA IS ABOUT RESSLING, IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL. THE CAKES WE OFFER ARE EXPENSIVE BECAUSE WE HAVE TO REPACKAGE AND SHIP. DO NOT BLAME US BECAUSE YOU CAN NOT AFFORD QUALITY. THE YELPERS, AND NOW THE REDDITS, NEED TO BACK OFF. YOURE NOT RIGHT JUST BECAUSE OF SOME TV SHOW.
Wow. She completely said she baked all the desserts. What a liar.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #24
Azlen

Quote:
Wow. She completely said she baked all the desserts. What a liar.
I think somewhere in that mess of a facebook page she mentioned that the reason that she lied to Ramsey about it was because he wasn't American and he wouldn't understand. She compared her shop to Walmart and said they didn't make what they sold either.

I can't fathom how they stay in business unless Samy is using this as a money laundering operation or something like that. But why would you bring all that publicity on yourself if you were up to no good.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
sharkster

Gadzooks, she is just as screamy and rude everywhere. Not surprising, I suppose.

Also not surprised that she doesn't make the baked goods (having mentioned the other day that I had a feeling she didn't make them), but kind of surprised she actually admits it, NOW.

This woman is mental to the nth degree. If she had one iota of sanity she would be able to see how profoundly crazy she sounds at every turn.

Don't even get me started on them having a kid. I don't even think they should have cats.

I'm really curious how much business they are doing. Is this in, or near, a big retirement area of AZ where, perhaps, less people spend a lot of time online and probably don't watch Gordon Ramsay shows? That's the only way I can see anybody even patronizing the place.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

lol..

serious meltdown. All captured for the world to see.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #27
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

This woman is mental to the nth degree. If she had one iota of sanity she would be able to see how profoundly crazy she sounds at every turn.
if you study her eyes, there are tiny moments where she realizes what she is doing is wrong or embarrassing but she's one that literally cannot stand when she's wrong so she blames something/one instead.

also the male not trusting someone to enter every order is really really crazy. he admitted he cant even do the job when he's inundated.

!

Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
inaka

Reading the user comments to their FB meltdown posts is absolutely HILARIOUS!!
I can;'t stop laughing at some of the posts! hahaha
Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

God is on her side! What do YOU have?? Just your sites.

Last edited by jsmeeker : 05-14-2013 at 03:15 PM.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #30
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

And boom goes the dynamite!