TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Is noone watching "Selfridge" on PBS?

To me the acting is superb and the sets and costumes are perfect. Of course, I'm a sucker for period shows. In a recent after-show storyline they explained they did everything first class because they expected to use the sets for years. I hope so.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
SeanC
ECT

I am and I'm loving it.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
StacieH
betativowho??

I am. I have always been a fan of Piven, but didn't remember setting it to record. I then realized it was a Masterpiece Theater production, so I guess it recorded because I was watching "Downton Abbey."

I wasn't sure if I'd like it due to the plot (department store), but I'm really enjoying it!
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
efilippi

Gotta love "the spirit of Selfridges" too, reason enough for a guy to watch. I thought his recovery from a days long coma was a bit oddly handled. Opens his eyes and thinks its a good idea to immediately go for a stroll, all by himself?

Are we finished with the saga of the nasty dad? Haven't seen him lately. And I'm a bit unsure of just how the naive brother on the loading dock was finished. I don't think he got into trouble, good for him.

eta what about the painter lover? He seems to have dropped out as well, though I was not surprised to see that Mrs. Selfridge would revert to her husband.

I guess I'm complaining a bit about how the story lines are pulled along. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention?
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
StacieH
betativowho??

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
Gotta love "the spirit of Selfridges" too, reason enough for a guy to watch. I thought his recovery from a days long coma was a bit oddly handled. Opens his eyes and thinks its a good idea to immediately go for a stroll, all by himself?

Are we finished with the saga of the nasty dad? Haven't seen him lately. And I'm a bit unsure of just how the naive brother on the loading dock was finished. I don't think he got into trouble, good for him.
That waiter pulled him away from loading the truck just as the police moved it, so I don't think they realized he was part of it...even though it was unwittingly.

As for the dad, I hope he's gone, too. If anything, the actor looked like he could be her brother, not her father.
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I love this show. I keep trying to get people to watch it. The costumes and characters are outstanding. Maybe it isn't the deepest storytelling, but I enjoy it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Bob Coxner

It's not the greatest but I'm enjoying it and looking forward to the next episode.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
taronga

I'm watching it. Although I thought the best episode was when Selfridge was in a coma (and thus not in it much). The British cast is top-notch, but I often cringe hearing American voices next to British ones - a problem I've had going back to Four Weddings and a Funeral. I haven't seen much of Jeremy Piven's work, and after this show, I don't care to. His performance is so one-note. That said, I'm an anglophile, so I'll keep watching.

FYI, a second season has been ordered.
taronga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
efilippi

For some reason I didn't get around to watching the final episode until last night. Good season finale.

Roger is such a twit.

Loved the way the waiter guy was able to push back against Lady Loxley (not sure about her name). And I'd certainly like to push back against her myself, but that's another story.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote