TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
joelkfla

View programs on disconnected S3 after S03s?

My S3 with lifetime service has been getting S03 errors, even after disconnecting up to 3 days to allow GC to finish. I'm tired of dealing with this, don't want to deal with the disconnecting, and fear the HDD, capacitor, or something else may be dying anyway.

So, I'm replacing it with a Roamio Plus, also with lifetime. But I can't transfer my old recordings, because BHN copy-protects everything but local channels.

Question: Will I be able to continue to watch the recordings on the S3 even after it is disconnected from both the cable & the network? Will something eventually time out because it can't phone home, preventing me from using it at all? Will something eventually go kablooey in the software because of the S03 failed connections? (Assuming, of course, that some hardware doesn't actually die.)

Last edited by joelkfla : 10-14-2014 at 12:42 PM.
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
Chris Gerhard

Nothing recorded will time out or expire, you can continue to watch programs as long as the TiVo is working. I don't know what the error messages may mean in terms of a possible imminent failure.

Any downloaded rental VoD, Amazon or other will have expiration dates.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
joelkfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I don't know what the error messages may mean in terms of a possible imminent failure.
Thanks.

According to a very long thread, Garbage Collection not completing when a Tuning Adaptor is attached (for reasons unknown) leads to the "Programming Data Will Run Out" message on TiVo Central & the ToDo screen. Temporarily disconnecting from either the network or the Tuning Adaptor allows GC to complete.

S03 errors on connecting indicate corrupted program data. The consensus is that it can be either the next (worse) symptom after the "Programming Data" message, or a sign of failing hardware.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

S03 errors = Run "Clear Program Info & ToDo List"

NEVER re-run Guided Setup or you would be stuck because it cannot complete the Tivo connections.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

Yeah, what ThAbtO said. I've done the same thing when getting the S03 error. And I don't have a tuning adapter, I record OTA.

But after running the "Clear Program Info & Todo List," the S03 error disappeared.

Just my 2 cents,
robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
joelkfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomeister View Post
Yeah, what ThAbtO said. I've done the same thing when getting the S03 error. And I don't have a tuning adapter, I record OTA.

But after running the "Clear Program Info & Todo List," the S03 error disappeared.

Just my 2 cents,
robomeister
Thanks, I do appreciate the suggestion, but I did that a few months ago, and really don't want to keep re-entering my SPs & WLs every couple of months. Plus, I've had to block the TiVo from the network after each call home, and then check each day whether GC has completed; otherwise I get the "Programming Data Will Run Out" message ... a genuine PITA.

So I've decided to go ahead & upgrade, & let the S3 live out it's natural life as a repository of my old recordings.

Hopefully the new code & program data model on the Roamio, plus the better processor, won't have the GC not completed problem.

After I've finished viewing most of the recordings on the S3, if I have some free time, maybe I'll try popping the lid and replacing the hdd if everything else looks OK.