TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 AM   #1
HarperVision

Software tuning adapter?

Could this be the first signs of the software tuning adapter that we heard about from TiVo? I don't recall seeing this information in the DVR diagnostics screen before. Has anyone else?

"SdvHttp Inactive"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-4188175309.jpg (42.8 KB, 70 views)
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:20 AM   #2
HarperVision

And this.........

"SdvHttp: Off"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-52780224.jpg (41.8 KB, 46 views)
Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
tatergator1

Old news. This was introduced at least one update prior, perhaps before. It is for a software based tuning adapter, but the planned use is only for MSO partners using Tivo boxes (RCN, etc.)
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Old news. This was introduced at least one update prior, perhaps before. It is for a software based tuning adapter, but the planned use is only for MSO partners using Tivo boxes (RCN, etc.)
I know it's old news and read all the other threads on it. I just didn't see anything reference it in the menus prior to this. I take it you have then? I don't believe that it's been factually established that it's only for MSOs yet.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I know it's old news and read all the other threads on it. I just didn't see anything reference it in the menus prior to this. I take it you have then? I don't believe that it's been factually established that it's only for MSOs yet.
TiVoMargret tweeted about it, confirming it wasn't for retail TiVo owners, only MSO partners. That could change. But, I think you know I wouldn't mislead you (intentionally).
Old 11-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I do not think TiVo has addressed the feature either way. Saying it is only an MSO feature would be an assumption - could be true, but, as far as I know - we have no conformation.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
TiVoMargret tweeted about it, confirming it wasn't for retail TiVo owners, only MSO partners. That could change. But, I think you know I wouldn't mislead you (intentionally).
Source, link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I do not think TiVo has addressed the feature either way. Saying it is only an MSO feature would be an assumption - could be true, but, as far as I know - we have no conformation.
Exactly, and why would they deploy it on RETAIL tivos?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Source, link?

Exactly, and why would they deploy it on RETAIL tivos?
You can find it as easily as I could, since I didn't save a link. It was a long while back, when it first showed up, under a slightly different name, in DVR Diags. I think Dave Zatz also has some info on it, with every source I can hazily remember having nearly identical answers for the question of it's purpose, and how it would be used, by what means, and by whom.

Some other post in some thread around here had a link to a MSO source explaining how it worked, and that it was MSO only.

As pointed out, early in this thread, what somebody thought just suddenly appeared, but has actually been there for many software versions now, "is old news".

By all means, please find a source that can make a seemingly credible claim, saying it's something I might see work for something, someday.

ETA: Oh, I see the "late to notice it in the menu" OP was you...
Old 11-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
CharlesH

Unless TiVo has added the required hardware to do the up-link communication over the cable (a DOCSIS modem), how could this work?
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #10
Philmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
Unless TiVo has added the required hardware to do the up-link communication over the cable (a DOCSIS modem), how could this work?
Same way VoD over IP works? The TiVo sends the information upstream using the internet to a publicly accessible service that interacts directly with the cable companies head end, which then sets up the frequency and channel that your TiVo needs to tune to.

Frankly, this is how all VoD and SDV implementations should work, the idea of using dedicated hardware when software is fully capable of handling it is ridiculous.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
The whole point is that it is http based, meaning it uses the LAN to send the switching commands out without any new hardware inside the TiVo, and eliminates (or hopes to eliminate) external hardware tuning adapters at the premises. Think of it like moving the TA out of the house, upstream on the RF network, and the LAN replaces the USB cable. This isn't a comprehensive explanation, but as simple as I can describe it, roughly, as the concept it is, not something being used in the wild.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
tatergator1

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10171709

Straight from the source. Took about 2 minutes to find.

The two fields the OP cited from DVR diagnostics have been there since 20.4.2.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
Same way VoD over IP works? The TiVo sends the information upstream using the internet to a publicly accessible service that interacts directly with the cable companies head end, which then sets up the frequency and channel that your TiVo needs to tune to.

Frankly, this is how all VoD and SDV implementations should work, the idea of using dedicated hardware when software is fully capable of handling it is ridiculous.
Yep, we posted at almost the same time, but you beat me to it.

Cox was testing an IP based system, then abandoned it, and went with tuning adapters, instead. It's not a new idea, or concept, just one that has failed to leave the launchpad so far. This was the system that was supposed to lead to OnDemand (VOD) for Cox, complete with a TiVo press-release it was coming, which I verified with Cox, and was placed on the list of civilian testers for it, then it never happened, and Cox blames Tivo, and TiVo blames Cox, for not following through, and Cox claims it was only a concept, and no agreements or contracts were ever even drafted. Cox had considered leasing Premieres, as an option to their customers here, so were originally open to letting retail customers have VOD too.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #14
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10171709

Straight from the source. Took about 2 minutes to find.
Bravo! I knew she tweeted about it, but forgot she made a statement here, as well, on 07-11-2014, much later than the tweet.

ETA: Since I don't use twitter (except via web browser, when she's AWOL here), or even have an account, my phrasing should likely be more like she replied to an inquiry on her twitter feed (as opposed to making it sound like she just put it out there, without it being a reply to a question on her feed).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 11-19-2014 at 02:29 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post

Actually I believe the info we saw said this worked using a special cable modem/router. The TiVo would communicate with it over the local home network and it would act as the tuning adapter.

Although a system that used a public server like VOD would work as well.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
59er
TiVotee

I didn't take Margaret's post to say that only rented boxes from the MSO would work, but that only those cable companies' customers could benefit. I assumed that all TA customers of That cable co might benefit in supported regions.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #17
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59er View Post
I didn't take Margaret's post to say that only rented boxes from the MSO would work, but that only those cable companies' customers could benefit. I assumed that all TA customers of That cable co might benefit in supported regions.
Exactly! Nowhere does she say it is only for MSO rented tivos. It seems that ANY TiVo on a SW TA supported cable operators system would benefit.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #18
HarperVision

Quote:
........ The two fields the OP cited from DVR diagnostics have been there since 20.4.2.
Thanks Tater, I hadn't seen those before!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #19
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Exactly! Nowhere does she say it is only for MSO rented tivos. It seems that ANY TiVo on a SW TA supported cable operators system would benefit.
"could benefit" would be a better end to that, plus "if the MSO allows it".

I'm all for it somehow working out for the retail market. If I had ever seen anything credible saying it "would", I'd remember that.

I recall the concept of the special Cable Modem/Gateway thing, too, now that it came up again.

Some actually knew that http sdv part had been added into the TiVo code, but not made visible to the public, before it showed up. But most that would've known would have had an NDA.

MSO's don't always do things that make sense, and benefit all. It's a fact. After the TiVo-Cox debacle, I've learned to keep my expectations low.

All we can hope for is that it's a joint enough venture between TiVo and whatever MSO partner(s), that TiVo can talk the MSOs into using it for all. TiVo's cozying up with MSOs could lead to good and bad things. We'll just have to wait and see.