TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #61
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah. I apparently missed a ton that the wiki talked about. Apparently her mom told Don she was under quarantine for tuberculosis to explain her extended absence. Don seeks her out and finds her in the hospital and encourages her to move forward and forget about the whole thing. It says that it is not clear whether he knows about the pregnancy, but he does know it wasn't tuberculosis. Because he's the only person who visited her, her mother and sister think Don was the father.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #62
Zevida
witless and unarmed

It was strongly implied Don knew why she was there. I mean, the sudden weight gain only has a few likely causes. And I just watched a few episodes and in one Peggy tells Don her mom hates him because she thinks he's responsible.

There was one episode where they hinted the kid might have been raised by Peggy's sister. Peggy is getting ready to leave and her mom says something like "aren't you even going to see him?" And then Peggy peeks in on two kids. But neither kid was the right age and Peggy clearly told Pete she gave him away. Which isn't quite the same as your sister raising him.

According to this article, it is confirmed that her sister's son is not Peggy's baby, but they were attempting to mislead:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....n-peggy-b.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #63
marksman
ID-10-T

I was glad to see the monkey from community in this episode
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #64
HellFish
I can dress myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Are you saying it's OK that Don places no value on Joan's sacrifice for the firm simply because he didn't agree with it and told her not to do it?
You weren't talking to me, but that seems like a loaded question. First, Joan's sacrifice has already brought in thousands. Secondly, I'd argue Don's is placing Joan's current well being ahead of her previous "sacrifice." His actions are telling me that he doesn't like seeing Joan be forced to hide in his office whenever the dealer visits. In this episode, she said she was handling it fine, but in an earlier episode this season, it was quite clear she wasn't. Finally, the sooner they get rid of Jaguar, the sooner people like Harry can stop holding that over the partner's head. As Harry's previous explosion very nicely points out, it's a very weird situation in general. And when he brought it up, they couldn't defend Joan's actions. Instead, they tried to buy him by giving him a bonus the size of his annual salary.

I'm surprised no one has suggested that Don was tricked into thinking the merger was his idea. The one CGC guy has cancer, and it sounds like the other 2 CGC partners should be questioning their finances because of it. The wording Don used when suggesting it to Ted at the bar seemed to easily have the roles reversed between the 2 of them. This will become obvious when we watch the series a second time.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #65
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

It's not Don's job to decide which is better for Joan, it's Joan's. And clearly Joan wanted to keep Jaguar.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #66
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
It's not Don's job to decide which is better for Joan, it's Joan's. And clearly Joan wanted to keep Jaguar.
But it is Don's job to work with clients, and clearly Don did not want to work with that loathsome man. Of course, Don should have consulted his other partners before acting, but Joan is no stranger herself to making rash decisions without consulting people.

Last edited by john4200 : 05-08-2013 at 07:50 AM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #67
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
But it is Don's job to work with clients, and clearly Don did not want to work with that loathsome man.
Don finding another man loathsome is kinda funny. Don is one crappy human being.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #68
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Don finding another man loathsome is kinda funny. Don is one crappy human being.
Compared to that guy, Don is a saint.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #69
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Compared to that guy, Don is a saint.
How? Don's a war deserter, an identity thief, a liar, a habitually unfaithful husband, a crappy friend, a crappy workmate and a terrible, unloving parent. The only thing that makes him worth a damn are his job skills.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #70
john4200

Quote:
Don's a war deserter, an identity thief, a liar, a habitually unfaithful husband, a crappy friend, a crappy workmate and a terrible, unloving parent. The only thing that makes him worth a damn are his job skills.
Don's reaction to what happened in the war is understandable and it is hard to fault him for it -- he could not take it anymore and he did what he had to to get away. He has never failed to provide for his children. His biggest flaw is his cheating on his wives. But that is a small sin compared to virtually forcing a woman to have sex in return for a business deal.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #71
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
I was glad to see the monkey from community in this episode
Annie's Boobs.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #72
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Don's reaction to what happened in the war is understandable and it is hard to fault him for it -- he could not take it anymore and he did what he had to to get away. He has never failed to provide for his children. His biggest flaw is his cheating on his wives. But that is a small sin compared to virtually forcing a woman to have sex in return for a business deal.
Millions of soldiers get fed up with war and don't desert.

Don provides monetarily for his children but very little warmth or love. He'd rather ditch them 90% of the time to chase some tail.

Joan could have said "No". Nobody forced her to sleep with Herb. She essentially whored herself out for a partnership. She's as sleazy as Herb.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #73
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
They are all sleazy scumbags.

As for Don and his kids, well he did fight to have some custody of them and has provided that. He makes them breakfast and goes places with them. He engages them in conversations and jokes when they are around him. And yes, sometimes he is cold or angry, but he is like that sometimes with everyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #74
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
She's as sleazy as Herb.
Wow.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #75
john4200

Quote:
Joan could have said "No". Nobody forced her to sleep with Herb.
I thought we were talking about Herb. For all Herb knew, the partners could have told Joan, "do it or you lose your job". And I had the impression that Herb probably thought that was likely to be the case, the way he asked for her.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #76
brianric

Quote:
Don provides monetarily for his children but very little warmth or love. He'd rather ditch them 90% of the time to chase some tail.
I would take in a heartbeat as a kid the amount of time Don spends with his kids compared to the amount of time my dad spent with me growing up.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #77
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

it is important not to view Don's parenting using today's standards of what a father is expected to do.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #78
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I would rather have Don as a parent than Betty. He didn't used to love any of them and yet was a better parent. What's Betty's excuse?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #79
lpamelaa

Mad Style recap: http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2013/05...e-release.html

Enjoy!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #80
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpamelaa View Post
Nothing about the Stewardess's colorful panties
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #81
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
it is important not to view Don's parenting using today's standards of what a father is expected to do.
This is a great point.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #82
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
She was a ticketing agent, not a stewardess.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #83
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
The uniform threw me off.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #84
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

I don't even think she was a ticketing agent. I thought she was a hostess in the airline lounge.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #85
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
I don't even think she was a ticketing agent. I thought she was a hostess in the airline lounge.
Ah, I think you may be right. Roger and Don probably wouldn't have been able to sit in the lounge area with drinks if it were a regular gate area (because they couldn't have taken the drinks outside of the airport bar).

Although I note that, although I don't know what things were like in Northwest Orient lounges in 1968, airline lounges do have their own reservations/ticketing agents inside in these modern times.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #86
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
They were so colorful I had to pause it and make out all the colors.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #87
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #88
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #89
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Yeah, the bra was colorful too.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #90
HellFish
I can dress myself.

Quote:
You are correct, I rewatched the episode, and Roger mentioned she's a hostess in the first class lounge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
It's not Don's job to decide which is better for Joan, it's Joan's.
You are also correct. However, I wasn't addressing that aspect.

In any event, shouldn't all of the partners, ie Don, been made aware that they were making Joan a partner because she was going to sleep with the Jaguar guy? In previous episodes, they showed that Joan & Don respect each other, and his opinion matters to her. I'm near certain that Pete implied to Joan that Don was on board with the "agreement" to persuade Joan to do what Pete wanted. But Don was completely unaware, and went to her apartment and told her not to do the nasty as soon as he found out. Of course at that point, it was too late.

Was Don the only partner that said no? Was he the only one to treat Joan's integrity to be worth more than landing the Jaguar account? I honestly forget the answer to that question.

And what about taking the company public? Don & Roger were apparently in the dark about that. Joan stated Don is all about himself, but 3 of the 5 partners were about to make a huge decision without consulting the other 2. I'm not a joint owner in a multi-million dollar ad agency, but should all partners be part of the decision process of going public?