TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #31
markymark_ctown

did not see the merger coming. at all.

as for the car, my initial thought was Camaro, but i knew that was out before 1968. Vega is not top of mind as a blend of "power & performance"
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #32
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
As we saw a couple episodes ago, Herb only had a small say in the Jaguar decisions. Remember when Don was meeting with Herb and the two Brits and Don talked about how radio ads would help bring truck drivers to Jag dealerships? That's exactly what Herb wanted, but the Brits were repulsed by the idea.
Right. I do know that. That is what has me confused. Don dropped all of Jaguar or just the local dealer(s)??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #33
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Watched this last night (on my newly built IKEA sofa).

I agree with most everything Zevida said!

Quote:
I loved Don telling off Herb but I loved even more Joan telling off Don.
I am thinking she will come around to to like not having to deal with the guy. I was amused by her, Bert and Peter going from "we are millionaires" to scrambling around and mad at Don - though they didn't tell him about it.

Roger was awesome at the airport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #34
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Roger is awesome everywhere. He's always been my favorite character.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
Idearat

I think SCDPs Jaguar deal was essentially with Jaguar USA, the dealers in this country. Herb was the head of that association. While they were the client, the Jaguar parent company in the UK still had to approve of what was done.

Herb was important in getting the contract. As the head of the USA dealers he could sway them into choosing SCDP. But where his ideas differed with Jaguar's, he needed Don to convince them that his ideas were the way to go. Don used that difference in opinion on how to market the cars against Herb in the meeting where he suggested trying to sell them like Yugos.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #36
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I think Herb is head of the dealers association. When they made the pitch, there were three votes, Herb, the Brit home office guy, and probably a guy from the plant. They knew that even though Herb was only one vote that if the dealers weren't on board they couldn't win. That's why they needed his vote.

Herb had a lot of pull and could make life really difficult for SCDP. Even though he might not have been able to fire them be could do things like force a radio pitch or one of his guys into he office. Which is why Don fired him.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #37
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post

Well not quite. Herb wanted local radio ads to advertize his dealership instead of national Jaquar ads that advertized the brand (more business for him with that personalized exposure). Don pitched it in a way that made made sure the Brits hated the idea because SDCP wasn't interested in radio ads, they wanted to get the exposure from the national ads.

But Herb definitely had a lot of pull because they had to do what he asked them to do (push for the radio ads) even though Don (much to Pete's displeasure) did it in a way that countered Herb's desire. So I'm not sure exactly what the relationship was but Herb certainly had to at some level be in charge of who got the ad business even though he didn't have total control over what was done.
I was going to respond to this, but I think Idearat's post just above this does a better job than I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post

Right. I do know that. That is what has me confused. Don dropped all of Jaguar or just the local dealer(s)??
Don dropped the Jaguar USA account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I am thinking she will come around to to like not having to deal with the guy.
It had nothing to do with her "dealing" with the guy. It was the fact that she whored herself out to land that client, and then Don threw it away like nothing. So basically Don was saying that Joan's contribution was meaningless. I'm sure you can imagine why that didn't sit well with her.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #38
VC25a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
This just happened to be something I saw a couple weeks ago. It shows the unique way they shipped Vegas by rail car.

They had to design in some special features of the car and it's engine so it could stand on it's nose without everything leaking out.
FWIW, they sold a million in three years and while the article says they stopped selling it after 7 years, they really rebadged a redesign and called it the monza. The monza wagon was essentially identical to the last year Vega Wagon.
VC25a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #39
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:

It was the fact that she whored herself out to land that client, and then Don threw it away like nothing. So basically Don was saying that Joan's contribution was meaningless. I'm sure you can imagine why that didn't sit well with her.

FWIW, Don didn't want her to do it in the first place. He basically told her not to do it. He was the only partner that felt that way. When Don saw Joan the next day, he knew she did it and he had a disappointed look on his face.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #40
markymark_ctown

From Sepinwall: Herb's wife's name is Peaches. Don and Peggy are reunited, and it feels so good to Don, if not to Peggy.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #41
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
FWIW, Don didn't want her to do it in the first place. He basically told her not to do it.
He told her not to - after she'd already done it. He was too late.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #42
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post

Part of me was almost wondering if he accidentally slipped on the stairs during filming and they just left it in. That looked like it had to hurt his tailbone a little. IIRC didn't they cut to another angle or actor right after that?
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #43
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It had nothing to do with her "dealing" with the guy. It was the fact that she whored herself out to land that client, and then Don threw it away like nothing. So basically Don was saying that Joan's contribution was meaningless. I'm sure you can imagine why that didn't sit well with her.
Yes. I was trying to say that but just not this well.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #44
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
FWIW, Don didn't want her to do it in the first place. He basically told her not to do it. He was the only partner that felt that way. When Don saw Joan the next day, he knew she did it and he had a disappointed look on his face.
That doesn't change the fact that she did it, and in her eyes, it was a monumental sacrifice on her part for the good of the company. So then when Don just throws that client away as if they were meaningless, he's essentially saying that her sacrifice was meaningless. And as Zevida said, Don didn't express his feelings to her about it until after the deed was done.

Moving on: This episode ended on May 17, 1968. Each episode this season has been roughly a month after the previous one. So if RFK is shot on June 6, 1968, do we expect that to be in the next episode? That would be two episodes dealing with prominent political assassinations in three weeks. I wonder if the impact of RFK's death will be minimized (related to the MLK episode).

Also, I got the sense that when Pete told Trudy about Trudy's dad, she didn't believe him. She simply thought Pete was lying to protect himself. So the whole "mutually-assured destruction" thing doesn't work if the info that one of the parties has is useless because the person who isn't supposed to find out about it wouldn't believe it anyway. Besides, Pete had to realize that his FIL would have a much bigger issue with his precious daughter's hubby stepping out than he would with someone finding out about his own infidelity.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #45
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Quote:
And as Zevida said, Don didn't express his feelings to her about it until after the deed was done.
Don didn't know that the deed was already done.
Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #46
DeDondeEs

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that she did it, and in her eyes, it was a monumental sacrifice on her part for the good of the company. So then when Don just throws that client away as if they were meaningless, he's essentially saying that her sacrifice was meaningless. And as Zevida said, Don didn't express his feelings to her about it until after the deed was done.
Well she did get a partnership out of the deal, so I wouldn't say it was meaningless.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #47
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Don didn't know that the deed was already done.
You're correct, but I don't know what that has to do with what we're talking about here. Are you saying it's OK that Don places no value on Joan's sacrifice for the firm simply because he didn't agree with it and told her not to do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Well she did get a partnership out of the deal, so I wouldn't say it was meaningless.
Good luck getting Joan to agree that just because she got the partnership it's OK to fire the client.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #48
deaklet
Gemütlichkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
The Chevy Vega? Well they could do worse, I suppose. No, wait, they couldn't. The Vega was a total POS. But, hey, at least SCDPCGC is on their way up.
Meh, it was a pretty good little car aside from that whole "aluminum engine block" thing.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #49
ElJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Part of me was almost wondering if he accidentally slipped on the stairs during filming and they just left it in. That looked like it had to hurt his tailbone a little. IIRC didn't they cut to another angle or actor right after that?
I was wondering that too. It didn't stop me from rewinding a half dozen times and laughing at it again. The shot before and after the fall was of Don looking up at Pete, followed by Roger's(?) secretary trying to suppress a laugh.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaklet View Post
Meh, it was a pretty good little car aside from that whole "aluminum engine block" thing.
Very interesting history of the Vega here, as linked by Sepinwall in his recap.

According to this, while the aluminum block did have its problems, it wasn't the fact that the engine block was aluminum that was the problem. That wasn't all that unique, and is very common today. It was all the other cost-saving measures GM tried to take AROUND the engine block that caused the bulk of the problems.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #51
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

When was the last time we got a glimpse of Peggy's kid?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #52
zalusky

Don' you mean Joan's because I thought Peggy gave hers away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #53
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Don' you mean Joan's because I thought Peggy gave hers away!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I mean Peggy's

Last I recall seeing him, he was with her mother and/or sister.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #54
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
I mean Peggy's

Last I recall seeing him, he was with her mother and/or sister.
No, that was the sister's kid, not Peggy's. Peggy's kid was taken by the state of NY.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #55
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
No, that was the sister's kid, not Peggy's. Peggy's kid was taken by the state of NY.
errrrr...

I don't think that was the case.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #56
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
errrrr...

I don't think that was the case.
I didn't think so either. I thought her sister was raising the baby too. It is kind of weird that it's never been discussed again. I can't even remember who knew about the pregnancy. Pete did, but was Don also aware? For some reason I'm thinking he did, but may not have known that it was Pete's.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #57
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Ya the kid was being raised by the sister, I am pretty confident of that.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #58
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well... the wiki says she gave it up (implying adoption and not to her sister).
Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #59
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Don knew about the baby. He went to the hospital and talked her into coming back to work. (IIRC)

I don't whether he knew it was Pete's.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #60
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoelH View Post
I didn't think so either. I thought her sister was raising the baby too. It is kind of weird that it's never been discussed again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerock View Post
Ya the kid was being raised by the sister, I am pretty confident of that.
Glad I am not the only one that saw it and remembered that way.