TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
johndierks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 147
Suggestions for a good 1TB Tivo HD drive?

I had a old (~5 years) spare 500GB Seagate Barracuda lying around so I upgraded my Tivo HD. Would have preferred 1TB but free is free. Upgrade was easy, and it works great. Only problem is the drive is super loud. I can hear the head moving back and forth from the other room. I'd rather buy a new drive than listen to this all the time.

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap-ish (less than ~$75) 1TB drive for my Tivo that won't be so loud?

Possibilities:
WD Green: http://www.amazon.com/WD-Green-Deskt...dp/B006GDVREI/

WD Blue: http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Deskto.../dp/B0088PUEPK

New Seagate Barracuda: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barrac...dp/B005T3GRNW/
johndierks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,616
The WD green drives made for Video/Audio use are best. IE: WD10EARS or any WD10EAxx green drives work.
If you want more space, you can go with the 2TB drives such as 20EAxx.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndierks View Post
I had a old (~5 years) spare 500GB Seagate Barracuda lying around so I upgraded my Tivo HD. Would have preferred 1TB but free is free. Upgrade was easy, and it works great. Only problem is the drive is super loud. I can hear the head moving back and forth from the other room. I'd rather buy a new drive than listen to this all the time.

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap-ish (less than ~$75) 1TB drive for my Tivo that won't be so loud?

Possibilities:
WD Green: http://www.amazon.com/WD-Green-Deskt...dp/B006GDVREI/

WD Blue: http://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-Deskto.../dp/B0088PUEPK

New Seagate Barracuda: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barrac...dp/B005T3GRNW/
I recently had to replace the Seagate drive in my still relatively new 4-tuner Premiere. Got a WD10EURX off of eBay for $75 shipped and it's working very nicely. Also quieter than the Seagate.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
buscuitboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 690
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The WD green drives made for Video/Audio use are best. IE: WD10EARS or any WD10EAxx green drives work.
If you want more space, you can go with the 2TB drives such as 20EAxx.
I am sort of looking around for a new hard drive for my Series 3 HD as well. I have a 1TB WD "green" drive currently in my cart. For some other reasons, I just haven't pulled the trigger. I see how some of their "blue" drives are cheaper.

What is the main reason(s) the green ones are better for TiVo than the WD "blue" or "black" drives? Is it the noise level, speed, efficiency, warranty, etc.? Just curious.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 04-19-2013 at 08:18 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,616
Tivo access the hard drive 24/7 so a video/audio type drive is recommended.
__________________
Series 2 (PLS, sold)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "652")
Roamio! Oh, wait, Its Juliet!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,260
GO AHEAD AND SPEND A FEW DOLLARS MORE AND GET A WD20EURS.

Better Gb/$ ratio, 3 year warranty, made to do A/V work 24/7
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
GrtEscGtr301
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19
I'm also looking to replace a dying 1TB drive in my TiVoHD. Info in the "Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ" seems to indicate that the WD Green series is not good for TiVo use because of incompatibilities with their autopark feature. However, the date on that FAQ is August 2010. Has WD fixed the problem with the Green series or is it still an issue and I should look at the Blue drives or the Barricuda?
GrtEscGtr301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
IWLSR5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtEscGtr301 View Post
I'm also looking to replace a dying 1TB drive in my TiVoHD. Info in the "Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ" seems to indicate that the WD Green series is not good for TiVo use because of incompatibilities with their autopark feature. However, the date on that FAQ is August 2010. Has WD fixed the problem with the Green series or is it still an issue and I should look at the Blue drives or the Barricuda?
All you do is run WDidle3 to disable IntelliPark on Wd drives. If you buy an A/V WD drive, IntelliPark comes disabled from the factory.
IWLSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
uTivo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 29
I'm going to replace a 3 y/o Seagate 750GB Barracuda with a 1TB WD Blue this weekend in my S3. The Seagate seems to be failing, at least I hope it's just the HDD.

I looked at the new Barracuda's, but they use 4K sectors. Would that be a problem on the S3 Tivo's?
uTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
lillevig
Hot in West Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Angelo, TX
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by uTivo View Post
I'm going to replace a 3 y/o Seagate 750GB Barracuda with a 1TB WD Blue this weekend in my S3. The Seagate seems to be failing, at least I hope it's just the HDD.

I looked at the new Barracuda's, but they use 4K sectors. Would that be a problem on the S3 Tivo's?
I wouldn't recommend another Seagate based on personal experience and comments in this forum. I just replaced the Seagate Drive in my 4-tuner Premeire with a WD10EURX.
__________________
"I'm just one story in a two story town." Bon Jovi
lillevig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |