TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Klc11

Pixelated video sound, please help

My TiVo series 3 hd started freezing, skipping, & having pixelated video & sound on both live & recorded shows after Comcast came to install a new modem for my new phone service with them.. I don't know if it's related or coincidence it started happening shortly after this.. At first I thought it was a signal issue but I noticed it happens on both standard & hd channels.. I did a kickstart 54 smart tests & this was the results:

Test passed Primary Secondary
Initial state Pass No drive
Short test Pass
Conveyance test No start
Extended test No support
Offline scan Done

I'm currently running an overnight test..

Any idea what this could be? I have no idea what the conveyance &'extended results mean?
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Klc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klc11 View Post
My TiVo series 3 hd started freezing, skipping, & having pixelated video & sound on both live & recorded shows after Comcast came to install a new modem for my new phone service with them..
What model S3 TiVo do you have?

Not likely related to modem install, because you state above that it happens with recordings.

First suspect would be the power supply. Bad capacitors in the PS can cause unstable voltages resulting in unpredictable operation.
Second would be the HDD.

Either way; sounds like it's time to open the box and have a look at the caps.
Carefully measure the PS output voltages.

Also please include city and state in your profile.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Klc11

Thanks for your suggestions but not sure what I should look for once I open it up??

I tested the signal strength & it seemed ok, a range between 89-100.. I went ahead & checked the rs corrected & rs uncorrected & it showed errors.. I read they both should be 0 but they both show changing really high numbers .. What does this mean? What I find odd is that my signal does show as being strong like the comcast guy said but why are the sr corrected & uncorrected so high (in the hundred thousands)? What does this indicate?

Comcast just left.. They said its not a signal problem.. They checked everything & said it was all good on their side, signal, frequency, cable etc.. The only thing he didn't check were the cable cards because he didn't have any new ones to test it out with but he said that was most likely not the problem because that shows up as a channels not displaying at all which is not my issue..

Either way they gave me another appointment for Sunday to swap out new cable cards but he suggested that my problem was most likely the tuners..

What I don't understand how both tuners can go bad at the same time unless it got hit or dropped, which it hasn't..

I really appreciate all your help in this.. I just want to figure out what to do next?

Thanks
Klc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
WhiskeyTango

Check the capacitors on the power supply. If the tops of any are bulging, they need to be replaced.

WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Definitely check out the PS as already detailed.

I think it's a signal problem. High and growing RS counts are a primary indicator of signal problems, although I guess I couldn't rule out the PS (so check it).

ideal signal levels per TiVo support pages are in the range 80-99. The signal level pegs at 100, so a reading of 100 could mean something a lot higher, and it is possible for excessively high signals to cause errors -- and eventually damage your tuner circuit elements. The coincidence with starting your VOIP service makes me suspicious of signal problems.

I had a channel frequency that was always low and pixelated. The service tech used his meter to check the signals and said he couldn't find any problem -- including on the exact offending frequency. He did this again on the second service call. Then, just as a precaution, he tightened the cable connections at my tap out by the street and that fixed it. So I don't put a lot of faith in their signal quality checks. I don't know if it's the meter or the tech which isn't sophisticated enough.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote