TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
supertechguy

Exclamation Sign the Amazon Prime Videos on TiVo Petition

We want Amazon Prime Videos on TiVo

We pay for Amazon Prime. It works on other devices. It should work on a TiVo, just as well as on a XBox 360 or Roku. TiVo customer support indicates that it was "Amazon's decision to withhold Prime". Many TiVo customers pay for Amazon Prime and we should be able to use it on the devices we own, rather than having to purchase more devices! Currently TiVo supports the video rentals and purchases on Amazon, it should not be difficult to allow Amazon Prime content to be viewed for free on qualifing Amazon accounts.

Sign our petition on Change.org and spread the word.

http://www.change.org/petitions/amaz...videos-on-tivo

We need all the signatures we can get if you really want to make Amazon believe this is a priority. Tweet it, post it, spread the word and lets see if we can get their attention.
supertechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
djwilso

I signed it, but I have a huge fear that any Amazon client app on TiVo will be comparable to the other crapware they put out for Netflix. Slow to the point of being unusable.

The apps on the Roku are far and away superior to anything on the Premiere.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
abqdan

I gave up watching Netflix and Hulu on Tivo. The Tivo device for whatever reason just cannot handle these apps - it is buggy and very frustrating. So now I watch Hulu and Netflix on other boxes. My TV has Amazon Prime built in, so I use that.

Frankly, I think it's pointless pretending that a Tivo is anything other than a very good DVR player. And I'm surprised they even bother supporting apps at all, since they clearly don't have the hardware or software support to run them properly.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
windracer
joined the 10k club

Now that I have Amazon Prime streaming through XBMC on my Raspberry Pi, not having it on TiVo is less of an issue for me, but I signed. It probably won't go anywhere but it can't hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
mr_smits

I sent a note to Amazon a while ago about this. If the rumors are true, Amazon will most likely not care. Amazon could be releasing their own Roku type box with tight integration to their ecosystem in the future.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
MacBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
I sent a note to Amazon a while ago about this. If the rumors are true, Amazon will most likely not care. Amazon could be releasing their own Roku type box with tight integration to their ecosystem in the future.
I signed too. I agree, though, if they're doing their own box they'll likely not care about the Tivo.

Netflix does mostly OK for me, and Hulu+ works quite well, but sometimes fails to resume after playing a commercial. <grrr>

There's just so much more "spousal success factor" if we don't have to start switching inputs and making TV operations complicated. Having a Amazon Prime app right there on the Premiere would be ideal.
2011 Slingbox Solo
Series 2 Humax DRT800 (Still in use for VHS->DVD)
Series 1 Philips (Retired)
MacBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBrian View Post
There's just so much more "spousal success factor" if we don't have to start switching inputs and making TV operations complicated. Having a Amazon Prime app right there on the Premiere would be ideal.
I refuse to have a set up that requires regular switching inputs to watch content. It is clunky and often times it is easy to switch to HDMI 3 instead of HDMI 2 and then it requires another 8 button presses before returning the desired input.

Let's be honest about Amazon Instant. It is okay but it is nowhere near Netflix.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I refuse to have a set up that requires regular switching inputs to watch content. It is clunky and often times it is easy to switch to HDMI 3 instead of HDMI 2 and then it requires another 8 button presses before returning the desired input.

Let's be honest about Amazon Instant. It is okay but it is nowhere near Netflix.
That's what a Universal remote like a Harmony is for. I use a Harmony One remote. For Example I select TiVo Elite on the touchscreen. It changes all my devices to the proper input. My HDMi switch, my Algolith Flea, my receiver, my DUO video processor, and my TV. All from just pressing one icon on the touchscreen of my remote.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
atmuscarella

Quote:

That's the beauty of a good universal remote. I push one button to turn everything on/off or switch between devices. I currently have 10 devices either connected directly to my TV or going through my receiver to my TV, max of 2 clicks to get to any of them and that includes getting sound back to my receiver for the devices connected to my TV instead of the receiver.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That's what a Universal remote like a Harmony is for. I use a Harmony One remote. For Example I select TiVo Elite on the touchscreen. It changes all my devices to the proper input. My HDMi switch, my Algolith Flea, my receiver, my DUO video processor, and my TV. All from just pressing one icon on the touchscreen of my remote.
I feel like buying a $100-300 universal remote is going in the wrong direction. I simply avoid the undesirable actions and try to only use the default input device. That is why I want Tivo to be better.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I feel like buying a $100-300 universal remote is going in the wrong direction. I simply avoid the undesirable actions and try to only use the default input device. That is why I want Tivo to be better.

I don't see how it's the wrong direction. I've been using Universal remotes for over a dozen years now. I initially tried either all touch screen or all hard buttons. But things improved kept getting better and better.

And then I picked up my first Harmony One in 2008. I had finally found a great universal remote that used a combination of a touch screen and hard buttons. Which is the best of both worlds.

I currently use several Harmony One remotes with around thirty five devices. My only complaint with the Harmony One is that each remote is limited to only fifteen devices.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
ShayL

Quote:
I concur with this. I don't have as many devices as Aaron, but the harmony one and the 880 before it work very well.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
MichaelK

good for you guys who enjoy a good universal remote.

But this thread isn't about ways to WORK AROUND tivo's deficiencies.

(from a guy who's owned 2 harmony 880's and 3 890's)
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
good for you guys who enjoy a good universal remote.

But this thread isn't about ways to WORK AROUND tivo's deficiencies.

(from a guy who's owned 2 harmony 880's and 3 890's)
Is it a Tivo deficiency or an Amazon?
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Is it a Tivo deficiency or an Amazon?
Amazon's.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bet it's both. The TiVo hardware platform is pretty crappy. Amazon may have chosen to hold back the Prime streaming app because it runs too slow on the TiVo and they think it hinders the user experience.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I bet it's both. The TiVo hardware platform is pretty crappy. Amazon may have chosen to hold back the Prime streaming app because it runs too slow on the TiVo and they think it hinders the user experience.
Yep, that's really what I think the answer is.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
jcthorne

Amazon should make the Prime content available via the TiVo interface it already has.

They don't WANT to support Prime on TiVo. Simple as that.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Amazon should make the Prime content available via the TiVo interface it already has.

They don't WANT to support Prime on TiVo. Simple as that.
Why should they? Prime videos are for streaming. The TiVo can't stream Amazon content.

And their license for their streaming content probably only covers streaming. Which would be another reason the content can not be downloaded unless a fee is paid for each title.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
NYHeel

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, what's an Algolith Flea? And if you have a receiver (which I assume is pretty modern since you are pretty up to date with this stuff) why do you need an HDMI switch as well?
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
jcthorne

The only difference between 'streaming' and 'downloading with very limited valid licence period' is the size of the buffer. The rest is marketing speak and semantics.

If Amazon WANTED to make prime content available to TiVo owners, they would. Has nothing to do with capability of the box or availability of programmers. Its a business decision not to provide it. I and most here disagree with that and hope they change their mind, but until then, not much we can do but keep asking.

Once they release their own 'Kindle TV" they will have even less reason to support other boxes that have access to content other than Amazon.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what's an Algolith Flea? And if you have a receiver (which I assume is pretty modern since you are pretty up to date with this stuff) why do you need an HDMI switch as well?
An Algolith Flea is called a digital Video enhancer. It's not made anymore. I only use it with my broadcast sources to clean up the picture. And then all my video runs through a Darbee Darblet which brings out the detail.

My main receiver is over five years old which is fine except for 3D. I use a video processor, a DVDO DUO, to switch inputs from my devices. And it also has multiple HDMi outputs so I can send audio over one HDMI output to my receiver since it can't handle 3D and I send video over another HDMI output to the Darblet and then to the display.

The DUO only has eight HDMI inputs. So I need to use HDMI switches to be able to access all my devices.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
MacBrian

Quote:
That's what a Universal remote like a Harmony is for.
I *love* the Harmony remotes. I've had a few models ever since the early model with very few buttons. In *my* hands they're a thing of beauty and work pretty much flawlessly.

But! No spousal or senior parental approval factor when things go out of sync because of a poor aim at a critical time during a sequence. [sigh] And they get very little of my own approval when I have to listen to complaints about "this stupid thing has messed up again!"

So yeah, I'm supporting the case for having Amazon Prime actually functioning as a "Premiere app" like Netflix and Hulu+ for the simplicity of not switching inputs. The others in the household can make Hulu+ and Netflix work on the Premiere without yelling at me for help, which is a joyous thing.

Hmmmm...maybe some of this new Harmony technology that uses our home wifi network and our iPhones with a powerful IR blaster might solve the problem since the IR blaster could be "glued" to the furniture in the optimal position to eliminate out-of-sync issues. Until, of course, someone throws a newspaper or a pillow or blanket on top of the IR blaster. Maybe if I go this way I should mount it to the ceiling....hmmmm...
2011 Slingbox Solo
Series 2 Humax DRT800 (Still in use for VHS->DVD)
Series 1 Philips (Retired)
MacBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBrian View Post
I *love* the Harmony remotes. I've had a few models ever since the early model with very few buttons. In *my* hands they're a thing of beauty and work pretty much flawlessly.

But! No spousal or senior parental approval factor when things go out of sync because of a poor aim at a critical time during a sequence. [sigh] And they get very little of my own approval when I have to listen to complaints about "this stupid thing has messed up again!"

So yeah, I'm supporting the case for having Amazon Prime actually functioning as a "Premiere app" like Netflix and Hulu+ for the simplicity of not switching inputs. The others in the household can make Hulu+ and Netflix work on the Premiere without yelling at me for help, which is a joyous thing.

Hmmmm...maybe some of this new Harmony technology that uses our home wifi network and our iPhones with a powerful IR blaster might solve the problem since the IR blaster could be "glued" to the furniture in the optimal position to eliminate out-of-sync issues. Until, of course, someone throws a newspaper or a pillow or blanket on top of the IR blaster. Maybe if I go this way I should mount it to the ceiling....hmmmm...
If things go out of sync that is what the help button is for. I figure if my GF can use it then it passes. You press help and it asks you if a device is on, and if you select that it isn't it will turn it on. Of course it helps in my setups that with most of my devices I can point the Harmony One in almost any direction and the device will receive the IR signals.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #25
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Signed

Quote:
It is clunky and often times it is easy to switch to HDMI 3 instead of HDMI 2 and then it requires another 8 button presses before returning the desired input.
As others have said.... Harmony . One key, all devices turned on (or off). Activities, the Harmony remote is where it's at.

Quote:
You're right, it's way, way better
$7.50/month , FREE 2 day shipping, plenty of vids, Kindle Lending Library, Amazon Prime is, well, it's where it's at. The only thing I'm missing there is a Kindle, but, believe me, I get enough shipped to me that it makes up for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
If Amazon WANTED to make prime content available to TiVo owners, they would. Has nothing to do with capability of the box or availability of programmers. Its a business decision not to provide it. I and most here disagree with that and hope they change their mind, but until then, not much we can do but keep asking.
I don't think this is the case here. Amazon doesn't control what does and doesn't go on Tivo, Tivo does. Tivo is responsible for their apps, and their programming. Tivo is responsible for getting things done here, not the other way around.

Amazon can only benefit by making Prime available to Tivo. They know this, which is why they've made Prime available to EVERY major component over the past few years. From TV to DVD to iPad to iPhone to Xbox to PS3 to (I'm sure, by now), WII. They want themselves plastered everywhere, and they know that this current setup with Tivo is only making them look bad. They have no reason to hold back
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
brarob

Amazon can Make a Tivo App

Amazon Prime has an app on the new Samsung smart TVs so there's no reason that they can't do a Tivo app.
brarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #27
twhiting9275
TV Buff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brarob View Post
Amazon Prime has an app on the new Samsung smart TVs so there's no reason that they can't do a Tivo app.
There's an App for amazon everywhere, and yeah, it's all Prime... EXCEPT for Tivo.

Something's broken down between Tivo and Amazon, and neither party gives a damn about fixing it.
twhiting9275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

If the streaming is as crummy as the streaming of Netflix then who cares. I tried watching Arrested Developement yesterday and my TV switched from 720p and 1080p 5 times in the first 10 minutes. Every time it switches I get a blank screen for 2 seconds and no sound. Switched over to my Roku 3 and watched 5 episodes with no drop outs. Both of the devices are on the same switch.

Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brarob View Post
The current gen TiVos use a chip which is much slower then the ones in the newer Samsung TVs. The Mini uses one very similar to what's in the Samsung TVs and the next gen TiVos will likely have a similar chip as well. I think we're much more likely to see Prime streaming on TiVo once the new hardware hits this fall.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpcgeek View Post
If the streaming is as crummy as the streaming of Netflix then who cares. I tried watching Arrested Developement yesterday and my TV switched from 720p and 1080p 5 times in the first 10 minutes. Every time it switches I get a blank screen for 2 seconds and no sound. Switched over to my Roku 3 and watched 5 episodes with no drop outs. Both of the devices are on the same switch.
Try disabling 1080p pass through on your TiVo and setting it to a static resolution (either 1080i or 720p) instead. That will keep the Netflix app from adjusting like that.