TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: What will Tivo's next line of DVRs be like
updated 4-tuner cable only model 10 7.46%
6-tuner digital cable only model 61 45.52%
6-tuner hybrid DVR (cable & OTA support) 33 24.63%
4-tuner DVR (cable & OTA support) 27 20.15%
7 (or more) tuners of some kind 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #31
buscuitboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Something with high-def analog inputs would be killer - so I can feed the output of the HD cable box or U-verse or whatever into it and live with TiVo UI, control and scheduling of the video.
I would love to see this option as well. It would FINALLY be a way for UVerse to work with TiVo. I used to do something like this with my old Series 2 (DT) unit. Actually, I did it with my TiVo S2 & a Comcast digital box. It allowed me to manually record OnDemand material into my TiVo (via its inputs). I could then multi-room transfer it to any the other TiVos in my network. It was SD only and a rough way of getting OnDemand material with a TiVo, but it worked.

If they did provide HD analog inputs, the only downfall of course is it would basically limit the TiVo unit to just ONE tuner. When they are probably gonna have at least 4 (or more) tuners in their next line of DVRs & this is the overall direction of the industry, I can't see them considering this option. Would still be great to see.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Something with high-def analog inputs would be killer - so I can feed the output of the HD cable box or U-verse or whatever into it and live with TiVo UI, control and scheduling of the video.

That's what I'd really want and what I have Windows Media Center currently doing. I prefer TiVo though.
Analog is going away. They already started eliminating them from disc players and other devices are also doing the same. Each year less and less devices will be produced with analog outputs or inputs.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #33
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Wishlists are still SD, and I'd bet those are used all the time. But maybe Tivo has metrics that say otherwise so they didn't bother with doing it last fall when they did most of what is used. I find it odd that SPs were done but not WLs however.

The real shame of the Premiere launch is the complete disconnect between the hardware and software sides of the house at Tivo, because they had to know the HDUI would be a dog on that platform. It's sad that we'll end up waiting almost 4 years to get a box that can decently run something that should have been taken for granted.
Most shows aren't on multiple channels which is the only time I use wishlists so I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't use them. I would guess TiVo has the data on how many WLs are out there compared to Season Passes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #34
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Analog is going away. They already started eliminating them from disc players and other devices are also doing the same. Each year less and less devices will be produced with analog outputs or inputs.
Cableboxes still have 'em. That's all that matters. (There are also conveniently devices to take HDMI-HDCP and convert them to analog). At least analog capture won't have to deal with copyright bits, copy restrictions, etc.

I suppose with a bit of careful IR work or serial channel switchers, you can have multiple tuners supported on one TiVo as well, as long as each box can be changed independently.

Hell, I'd like to see it as an option. Even if it's a USB attachment you plug into a TiVo.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #35
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post
Yes, you got me, I thought it was clear that I was talking about people who own Tivos and not the proportion of all people using OTA. The poll show a desire for OTA that would be greater than the overall population in my option.

For many of us, we are waiting for the combination of OTA and cable. Personally, it is not because I can't afford to pay for 200 channels that I don't watch, but I notice a better depth and clarity, and deeper color coming from the OTA signals than I do with my cable provider.
The poll does not show us that. The poll is not asking what we want/prefer in the next DVR, the poll is asking what we think the next DVR will be.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #36
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
The poll does not show us that. The poll is not asking what we want/prefer in the next DVR, the poll is asking what we think the next DVR will be.
What the poll is asking and how people vote isn't always the same.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #37
Troy J B
Lucky 200 Member

I picked 6-tuner digital cable only model, because that's what I want.
I expect they will also release a 4-tuner DVR (cable & OTA support) model.
Troy J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #38
SnakeEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
What the poll is asking and how people vote isn't always the same.
Correct. However, either an assumption is being on how people are voting with no evidence to support that assumption or the previous poster misread the poll.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #39
DawnW

I don't really care if it is 4 or 6, but I do hope to get something that will work with an OTA antenna.
DawnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #40
dustyz

I went with the 6 tuner model, but I'm hoping for the 4 tuner OTA/cable model.

I just purchased my Tivo Premiere in February. I dropped cable/satellite not because I couldn't afford it, or because I'm poor, but because I couldn't justify the expense. It would hit over $50 regularly, without any movie channels, without a DVR, and only one receiver. If I didn't call DirecTV every 6 months to get the rate reduced, it would gradually move up to $70. It's crazy.

So, the Tivo has been a life saver. I bought an antenna... pick up a good 20+ channels in rural KY, from stations 50+ miles away, and have access to both netflix and my Amazon videos. If a new series pops up on cable, I download the first episode from Amazon, push it to the Tivo, and decide if I want to purchase the series. Even when doing so, with the 3 or 4 cable shows we do subscribe to, our TV bill is cut nearly in half. Plus, unlike our previous setup, I can push videos from our collection straight to the Tivo with pytivo running from a Raspberry Pi. That is awesome.

My point is, I wouldn't have a Tivo if it weren't for the OTA feature. We just don't need it. Honestly tho, I don't need 4 tuners either. I am fine with the current OTA Premiere. However...

My biggest hope, with the next generation of devices, is the hardware and UI gets a major boost. The Guide is great, a little slow sometimes, but tolerable. The UI for netflix and youtube is horrible. We don't want a Roku, or have a Blu-Ray player to supplement the feature, we'd love for Tivo to offer that. I know it's difficult to be the all-in-one device Tivo wants it to be, but they are close to having something really amazing. (I'd love to see a ESPN3 app included too, while we are on the topic.)
dustyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyz View Post
My biggest hope, with the next generation of devices, is the hardware and UI gets a major boost. The Guide is great, a little slow sometimes, but tolerable. The UI for netflix and youtube is horrible. We don't want a Roku, or have a Blu-Ray player to supplement the feature, we'd love for Tivo to offer that. I know it's difficult to be the all-in-one device Tivo wants it to be, but they are close to having something really amazing. (I'd love to see a ESPN3 app included too, while we are on the topic.)
If all the other speculation is wrong this is the one thing that will happen. The Mini uses a chip which is much faster then the current Premiere units. The companion chip to the one in the Mini, the one designed for a full blown DVR, is even faster still. I expect the UI to be much snappier in the next gen hardware. In fact if I'm right I might upgrade my Elite to a new unit just for that. Even if all other features are exactly the same.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #42
wco81

When are these next-gen DVRs expected?

One feature they should look at is place-shifting functionality, with obviously mobile apps.

Better yet, if the mobile apps. would let you record or cache the content, you wouldn't need the Tivo Stream silliness.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
CAAvidTivoUser

6 tuner

I think a 6 tuner would be great as I receive a ton of channels and cannot watch everything.
CAAvidTivoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #44
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
When are these next-gen DVRs expected?
According to the FCC filing they're trying to get them out before the holiday season this year.

Historically TiVo has released DVRs either in March or September, so I'm guessing they're shooting for September.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
According to the FCC filing they're trying to get them out before the holiday season this year.

Historically TiVo has released DVRs either in March or September, so I'm guessing they're shooting for September.
That would be great!! If so i know what my birthday present to myself will be.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

As long as they're faster I'm getting one regardless. I love having 4 tuners but the speed of the UI on my Elite is miserable. I don't care if there are any other features, as long as the speed is at least as fast as the Mini I'm buying.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #47
innocentfreak

I am definitely in for one, but I mainly need to upgrade my mother's house from TiVo HDs so she will get my Elite and a Mini.

If I didn't need to upgrade, I actually don't know if I would immediately. Don't get me wrong 6 tuners, hopefully more space, and a faster TiVo would be nice, but I don't feel a need to upgrade. I think if I didn't need it now I would probably just wait.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #48
Dan203
Super Moderator

If our cable system was all digital I'd give my Elite to my Sister, but trying to explain to her why it can't record some channels because they are analog only just creates a support nightmare for me. So I'll likely just sell it to subsidize the cost of the new unit.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #49
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
As long as they're faster I'm getting one regardless. I love having 4 tuners but the speed of the UI on my Elite is miserable. I don't care if there are any other features, as long as the speed is at least as fast as the Mini I'm buying.
C'mon it's not that bad. Is it as snappy as it should be? No, but it's by no means a miserable experience for normal DVR functions. It's not tremendously worse than my old HDs with the SDUI. The web apps (expect for Pandora) are pretty bad, I'll grant you.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #50
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's much worse then the SDUI. There are times when in the search or browse section where it will stall for 5+ seconds before displaying what it should. The basic stuff like My Shows is OK, albeit still slower, but searching and browsing is miserable and the apps are basically unusable.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #51
moyekj

Quote:
It's much worse then the SDUI. There are times when in the search or browse section where it will stall for 5+ seconds before displaying what it should. The basic stuff like My Shows is OK, albeit still slower, but searching and browsing is miserable and the apps are basically unusable.
+1M. The Mini is a good indication of how the UI responsiveness should be, so much so that I use my Mini as a front end to my Elite. I can't wait to dump my Elite in favor of new hardware. My 2 tuner Premiere I can just about tolerate, but not the Elite. I can understand some people don't have a problem with sluggishness, but it is a pet peeve of mine.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #52
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Well as I said, for everyday activities like recording/playback, SP/ARWL/ToDo list mgmt etc. it works pretty much the same as the old HD's SDUI. To me that means it's not a miserable experience because that's what I'm using the most. I agree that search can bog but I don't use it that often, nor do I have 100s of SPs or recordings stored on it. And I agree the apps pretty much all suck, speed-wise.

It's like everything Tivo, you either have a little patience for their code and length of time it takes for anything or you don't. And it probably will get better with new hardware, but it's sad that my less than 1-year old Elite would need a refresh.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #53
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
And it probably will get better with new hardware, but it's sad that my less than 1-year old Elite would need a refresh.
Well part of the problem is the Elite/P4/P4XL needed a hardware refresh when they were released. Most of the hardware in all Premieres (excluding hard drives) has been around since 2009 or earlier. If the Premiere was only a DVR and the HDUI worked well I might understand waiting 4 years for a refresh but TiVo clearly wanted the Premiere line of DVRs to be "The One Box" solution for people and they have known for years that the Premiere's hardware was not up to the task of providing a good streaming experiences and was only marginally acceptable in providing an HDUI experience. The people who decided to wait this long for a hardware refresh should be fired.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 05-13-2013 at 01:22 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #54
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Well part of the problem is the Elite/P4/P4XL needed a hardware refresh when they were released. Most of the hardware in all Premieres (excluding hard drives) has been around since 2009 or earlier. If the Premiere was only a DVR and the HDUI worked well I might understand waiting 4 years for a refresh but TiVo clearly wanted the Premiere line of DVRs to be "The One Box" solution for people and they have known for years that the Premiere's hardware was not up to the task of providing a good streaming experiences and was only marginally acceptable in providing an HDUI experience. The people who decided to wait this long for a hardware refresh should be fired.
I really thought with the Premiere we would see refreshes done more often other than just storage.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #55
buscuitboy

We Have A Winner

WE HAVE A WINNER....sort of.

With the new TiVo ROAMIO line released today, it looks like poll options #2 & #3 are the correct ones.....

I thought for sure they wouldn't have an OTA model of any kind, but glad to see I was proven wrong.

Now the real question is whether the dynamic tuning (for minis) is currently present in these series 5 models or if it will be "coming soon". I would have also liked to see a clock on the front display like my old Series 3 (OLED), but that didn't happen. Oh well & its not a deal killer though.

Welcome aboard ROAMIO!!!!

Last edited by buscuitboy : 08-20-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #56
jrtroo
User

Wouldn't that be #2 and #4?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #57
buscuitboy

I actually did originally put option #2 & #4, but as you can see, I edited the post cause I was then thinking its maybe 4 digital tuners and then 2 OTA tuners (6 "hybrid" tuners) that can be used together, but maybe not and its one or the other. If this is the case, then I stand corrected and #2 & #4 are the right answers.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #58
atmuscarella

Guess my guess was pretty good

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...64#post9630464
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #59
bmgoodman

I just voted. I'm not so good at predictions, but I'm usually able to give a sound post-diction.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #60
Dan203
Super Moderator

My only misstep in my predication was I thought all units would have MoCa. I'm kind of shocked that the 4 tuner unit doesn't. Maybe the combo cable/OTA tuners they used wouldn't allow it.

Although to be fair mine wasn't really a prediction. It was based on a lot of information I'd gathered from spending way to much time on this site.