TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
IWLSR5

Replacement Hard Drive For A Series 2 Dual Tuner

I'm replacing the original hard drive in my Series 2 Dual Tuner TiVo with a 1TB drive. I have 2 different drives 1TB drives at my house that I'm considering. I have a WD1001FALS and a WD10EARX. Which one is better suited for this application? Will either have to have WDidle3 or the align utility ran on them?
IWLSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Wd10earx is a video/audio drive, also a green drive, should give less heat, less noise, and run 24/7. You may need wdidle3 if it gives you any problems on boot or reboots, but that's all. You would need to boot up to a non-windows, like an old style DOS to use it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Wd10earx is a video/audio drive, also a green drive, should give less heat, less noise, and run 24/7. You may need wdidle3 if it gives you any problems on boot or reboots, but that's all. You would need to boot up to a non-windows, like an old style DOS to use it.
The WD drives listed as AV drives are the WD10EURS, WD15EURS, and the WD20EURS not the Wd10EARX.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLSR5 View Post
I'm replacing the original hard drive in my Series 2 Dual Tuner TiVo with a 1TB drive. I have 2 different drives 1TB drives at my house that I'm considering. I have a WD1001FALS and a WD10EARX. Which one is better suited for this application? Will either have to have WDidle3 or the align utility ran on them?
The WD1001FALS is a Caviar Black, and does not have the Intellipark feature, so you won't need to use wdidle3 to disable it.

It uses the old fashioned 512 byte sectors, and is not an "advanced format" drive, if that was what you were referring to when you mentioned an align utility.

I'm using 2 of them in a TCD649080 and one of them in another, and have been for about 2 years now with no problem.

However, I put an extra fan in each of those S2 DTs, because the Blacks run pretty warm.

It wasn't so much that they were my first choice for that particular application as it was that Best Buy had a good price on them a couple of Black Fridays ago, and the 5 year warranty was reassuring as well.

The EARX is a slightly newer model (it was the EARS when the WD1001FALS was a current model), and is a Caviar Green and might need Intellipark disabled, but won't run as hot as the WD1001FALS.

It probably is "advanced format", but I'm not sure how fussy it is about it, or how fussy the S2 DT is about that sort of thing.

I don't have any direct experience with that model.

You should run WD's own diagnostic software's long test on each drive before placing it into service of any kind.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
ggieseke

I was about to say the same thing. The Blacks tend to run run hot. I'm running 500GB Blues in my S2DTs. They're much cooler and quiet as the grave.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote