TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
vanclute

Can Tivo Premiere run Streambaby WITHOUT a subscription?

I'm possibly about to upgrade to a Roamio, and I'm wondering what to do with my current Premiere. I use Streambaby all the time and love it. Does anyone know if Streambaby would still work on the Premiere, even if I remove it from my account so I don't have to pay the monthly fee?

I know that the Premiere won't work with live TV any more, and I assume it also won't work with MRV (so no pushing shows from another Tivo, to the Premiere), but I'm unclear about Streambaby.

Thanks for any insights!
vanclute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Live TV will work, nothing else though.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
vanclute

Live TV will work? I'm very confused by that... my understanding has been (even from Tivo support) that for sure all normal TV functions are the specific things that will *not* work, and that the only feature they support is playback of existing recordings on the device.

Of course they know nothing about Streambaby though... so I'm hoping someone can tell me if SB will work even without a subscription. That would make these devices exceptionally useful in my household for secondary/guest rooms.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Live TV will work without pause/instant replay. It basically becomes an over priced tuner box.

You can continue to play any recordings already on the box, but you're nagged constantly about your subscription being expired.

Nothing else works. (TiVo calls this "boat anchor mode")
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Ya, they work fine without subscription for the half hour time shift. There is the annoying message at the top of the screen, but that can be shorted in time span in the setting if you like.
You can still get time corrections and any software updates too without a subscription, but of course you don't get the program data without a subscription. But some OTA stations now provide that on one dedicated station. It isn't integrated with the TiVo though.

"Live TV will work without pause/instant replay. It basically becomes an over priced tuner box. "
I wouldn't call them overpriced, as they are about the same price for a converter box, and they have two tuners and the half hour time shift. The price is about the same with the sale on right now.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I thought they disabled the buffer now? I seem to remember someone complaining about that a few months back. I think they said a recent software update made it so live channels could be tuned but there was no buffer for pause or IR.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I thought they disabled the buffer now? I seem to remember someone complaining about that a few months back. I think they said a recent software update made it so live channels could be tuned but there was no buffer for pause or IR.
They did for a while but they gave it back.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Oh OK. I don't have a TiVo without service so I was basing that on what I had read here.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
vanclute

So to confirm, is it for sure that StreamBaby will not work without a subscription? Since that software doesn't communicate to Tivo, I would think there was a chance it could run on its own. Can anyone confirm who has actually tried to run Streambaby with a non-subscribed Tivo?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #10
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanclute View Post
So to confirm, is it for sure that StreamBaby will not work without a subscription? Since that software doesn't communicate to Tivo, I would think there was a chance it could run on its own. Can anyone confirm who has actually tried to run Streambaby with a non-subscribed Tivo?
It will not. Streambaby uses the transfer mechanisms that come only with a subscription. Everyone that has responded has given you the correct and appropriate answers.

The answer is: NO
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanclute View Post
All of the network features are disabled when it doesn't have a subscription. TiVo does this on purpose. They want a unit without a subscription to be as useless as possible because they subsidize the hardware and only make money if you pay for the subscription.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

How about calling Tivo and get the $99 lifetime on it.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
vanclute

What $99 lifetime? I just had a chat with a Tivo rep and asked the same questions and all he could suggest was giving away the Tivo, or using it just to play whatever I put on it ahead of cancelling the subscription.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you've been paying a monthly subscription on the Premiere for a long time (2+ years) they might allow you to convert it to a lifetime sub for $99 if you also buy a new Roamio at the same time.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Keep calling back until you get someone who knows about the $99 lifetime you can get on the premiere. Resale value will go up with lifetime.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #16
vanclute

I already placed my order for the Roamio but will try calling them about lifetime. I have two Premieres, have been paying monthly since I bought them over 2 years ago.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #17
vanclute

Well dang that was a good suggestion! I called in and sure enough, $99 per unit for lifetime. I'm going to get my new machines in, make sure they work as I need them to and figure out all the logistics of them, then call back in to place the order if all goes well, as I expect it to.

Thanks all!