TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Kerwin51580

NYC TWC Cablecard update

Hmmmm...so I don't know if I should be worried, but both of my cablecards started a firmware upgrade about 30 minutes ago and I'm not sure if they're stuck. It downloaded the new firmware and started doing its thing, but now I'm at a cable card screen that says, "Failed to load 'CableCARD///apps/OobFdc.html' ".

After about 5 minutes or so, it goes back to live TV for a few seconds before another TiVo message pops up saying the cablecard is upgrading it's firmware. It doesn't download data again, only shows the same error message.

Any other TWC users in NYC experiencing this?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

FWIW:
OobFdc = Out of Band Forward Data Channel

Out-Of-Band-Forward-Data-Channel (OOB-FDC).
The portion of the cable RF range that is used to deliver system or service information to a receiver. Its frequency range is generally 70-130 Mz.

How good are your signals? Especially the FDC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #3
Kerwin51580

So, some interesting if not weird developments. Both were stuck in the same loop. I fiddled with the bedroom TiVo by playing something I recorded previously and somehow that broke the loop and it's usable again, but now none of the cablecard diagnostic screens load -- similar error message as the original one, depending on what diagnostic screen you're on.

The living room TiVo was stuck in that loop all night until I played something on it.

OOB FDC is 74.5 MHz, SNR is 34 dB
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Slopedope

I am having the same problem. I cannot get out of the loop. Have not called TWC yet since its early and have to get the kids off to school. Will update this thread as I figure this out. Any luck on your end?
Slopedope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #5
not logged in

Same situation for me too. I'm also in NYC.
not logged in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Kerwin51580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopedope View Post
I am having the same problem. I cannot get out of the loop. Have not called TWC yet since its early and have to get the kids off to school. Will update this thread as I figure this out. Any luck on your end?
Yes! I think it's all back to normal now. So while stuck in the loop, I hit the TiVo button and started playing a show in my list. It took a while to actually get to that point because the cablecard screen kept popping up. Hitting clear on the remote would get me back to wherever I was in the TiVo menu on my way to getting that show to play. While that was playing, I kept going back to the cablecard menu screen until it stopped saying 'upgrading' and just M-card inserted. By this point, I hit live TV and a channel did appear. Channels on other tuners weren't authorized so I tested channels through the Tuning Adapter menu and they came up just fine.

Finally, I restarted both TiVos and the cablecard diagnostic screens load just fine and it does seem like the update was correctly loaded.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
not logged in

My upgrade also seems to have finished successfully. All seems back to normal....
not logged in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

We have Time Warner as well. Our TiVo Premiere also started an unexpected CableCard firmware upgrade last night, starting at approx 12:30am. Literally while we were in the middle of watching a pre-recorded show, the black CableCard status screen took over and we couldn't do anything else. Checked it about 30 minutes later and it kept popping up more black screens, with errors including "Failed to load \CableCARD\CvtStatus" and Failed to load \CableCARD\SWUpgStat." We turned off the TV and went to bed, with hopes all would be well in the morning.

I just turned on the TV and everything looked fine for a few minutes and then as I was testing a few different channels to make sure, the same black screen popped up, with the same errors rotating each time I tried to clear out of it to get to My Shows list. This time I also got a TiVo info screen that said:

"Your cable provider is currently upgrading the CableCARD decoder firmware. This may take up to 40 minutes. While the upgrade is in progress, you will not be able to watch or record Live TV. Meanwhile, you can still watch programs from the My Shows List by pressing the TiVo button. WARNING: Do not unplug the DVR or eject the CableCARD decoder(s) while the upgrade is in progress. If the upgrade fails, contact your cable provider."

Well - it's been a lot more than 40 minutes. It's been almost 9 hours and although at first glance this morning it seemed fine, it obviously isn't fine. So how long do I wait this current upgrade out before I try rebooting the TiVo, re-inserting the CableCARDS or calling Time Warner to have them tell me they have no idea what I am talking about?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
scole250

Mine updated a week or so ago. Can take a while, hour or more, for cable card to update. had the failed to load message on the screen the entire time. After the upgrade was complete, still got a failed load message on the TA Diag screen for a few days.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
msilano

same here, although stuck in the CableCard diagnostic loop and unable to get back to Tivo - tried to exit the CableCard Firmware update screen and received "Error loading data (error 126)." Hmmm....
msilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

It's added a new black screen error code to the rotation. Now it sometimes says "Failed to load \CableCARD\OobFdc"

Since I woke up this morning, it switches every few minutes between Live TV and that black error screen (showing one of 3 errors at any given time). When the error screen is up, I can't get to My Shows without that screen popping back up - except once I managed to hit the remote buttons fast enough to start playing something, but within 2 seconds, the error screen took over again. I can hit Clear and get a few seconds of what I was playing before the black screen comes back. And so it just repeats in this loop. Until Live TV comes back on by itself (usually after 5-10 minutes of the just leaving the black screen up). And Live TV will stay on for a little while, and then the black error screen will come back on.

Should I try waiting for the next Live TV break to come on and then try rebooting the TiVo during that few minutes when it seemingly ISN'T trying to upgrade the firmware? Should I try removing and re-inserting my cable card at the same time? It's Premiere, so it's just a single M-card in the slot.

To clarify - this "upgrade" process has apparently been going on for almost 10 hours. We were watching a pre-recorded show when it started at 12:30am and then eventually we went to bed when it became clear we weren't going to be able to continue watching because of that error screen popping up every few seconds, and it's still looping the same screens this morning - with a few Live TV breakthroughs here and there.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
leagery

Same problem here I called twc this morning they said there was an outage in area I opted for a call back for when it was back up just got the call but haven't checked since at work right now
leagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Kerwin51580

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagery View Post
Same problem here I called twc this morning they said there was an outage in area I opted for a call back for when it was back up just got the call but haven't checked since at work right now
I live chatted with TWC 40 minutes into the upgrade last night and they said the same thing. Obviously this isn't the case as I'm back up and running again.

Come to think of it, when I first put my cable cards into my TiVos in September, it did a firmare update but lasted no more than 10 minutes. Maybe it was so fast back then because the TA wasn't connected yet?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
MKREdit

This morning I had the "Failed to load \CableCARD\CvtStatus" message managed to get to live TV for a few then when checking channels it went back to the Diagnostic screens. Called TWC They had me reboot and it now it seems to be going through frequencies. It's been about an hour and still not done. TWC said they have had to have people reboot a couple times to get it to complete in some cases. TWC said it may also be a bad card. I'll give it a while longer before I go to work.
MKREdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
jbo1235

I had success by unplugging (resetting) my TIVO box and leaving the tuning adapter unplugged until the update was complete. Then plug the tuning adapter back in and all should be well.
jbo1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
macsamurai
TiVoSamurai Too!

I'm happy to report that after just ignoring the continued problem yesterday and leaving it alone - all was fine when I got home last night and remains fine this morning.

I really wish Time Warner and/or TiVo would provide some warning about these things and give us the opportunity to delay, or deny these "upgrades" that come out of nowhere. When everything is working well - and it has been for us - I do prefer to leave well enough alone. And I really resent having an upgrade pushed out when I'm actually sitting in front of the TV watching something!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #17
Kerwin51580

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsamurai View Post
I'm happy to report that after just ignoring the continued problem yesterday and leaving it alone - all was fine when I got home last night and remains fine this morning.

I really wish Time Warner and/or TiVo would provide some warning about these things and give us the opportunity to delay, or deny these "upgrades" that come out of nowhere. When everything is working well - and it has been for us - I do prefer to leave well enough alone. And I really resent having an upgrade pushed out when I'm actually sitting in front of the TV watching something!
I totally agree! I was in the middle of the Australian Open when it started. After this experience, I'm tempted to get splitters for the TAs (like some people have been told to do) rather than connecting them inline.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
dbkeebler

One of these just kicked off for me in NE WI TWC. 12:22am.
dbkeebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #19
ref_karl
...So little time...

Upgrades started in SE WI as well

Woke up this morning, and both mine were stuck with message "Failed to load CableCARD///apps/SwUpgStat.html".

Pulled power and plugged both machines back in and let them finish, and all appears to be well.
ref_karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #20
jenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref_karl View Post
Woke up this morning, and both mine were stuck with message "Failed to load CableCARD///apps/SwUpgStat.html".

Pulled power and plugged both machines back in and let them finish, and all appears to be well.
This worked for me as well, thank you.
jenz is offline   Reply With Quote