Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Defiance "Pilot" OAD 4/15/13

Surprised there's no thread yet.

I thought it was ok at first and that it got better near the end.

I'm surprised they didn't touch on the background about the aliens, terraforming, war, etc. other than very briefly. I'd heard about the background online somewhere.

I wonder if they're ever going to elaborate significantly more in the show or if they're leaving it up to the viewers to play the game, find info online, etc.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
stinkbomb1020

I watched it with my wife and I was waiting for her to say "I just don'y think I'm going to be able to get into this", but she said she liked it. I liked the story and the F/X was awesome.
Hope they plan on more and didn't show us 99% of all to come in the pilot.
stinkbomb1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
I wonder if they're ever going to elaborate significantly more in the show or if they're leaving it up to the viewers to play the game, find info online, etc.
We got little bits and pieces. Hopefully, they'll keep giving out bits and pieces as they come up, instead of just info dumps.

I liked it...surprisingly lightweight, but in a good way. The two leads were instantly engaging (although I admit I completely missed the nature of their relationship, as I suspect I was meant to).

And the Brit Parade continues...ones that I recognized were the alien crime-boss couple and the adopted daughter.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Timbeau

I am definitely hooked. There was plenty of tech to satisfy the sci-fi part of me, the characters were engaging (as Rob said) and there weren't any overtly contrived plot devices that we've seen in so many shows lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
The two leads were instantly engaging (although I admit I completely missed the nature of their relationship, as I suspect I was meant to).
Did you mean Joshua and Irisa? I thought they said somewhere early in the first part that she was his daughter or adopted daughter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
vertigo235

It was late and I coulnd't finish it, didn't realize it was longer than 40 mins when I started it.

Anyhow, it was decent and had a cheesy Babylon 5 kind fo feel with the different alien races. I'll keep watching, once I finish the pilot that is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeau View Post
Did you mean Joshua and Irisa? I thought they said somewhere early in the first part that she was his daughter or adopted daughter?
The first time I heard it was in the bar, which was maybe halfway through. And it was staged as a pretty big reveal, so I suspect I didn't miss anything earlier, but I could be wrong...
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
vertigo235

At the very beginning she said something about how she didn't know about her dad in the narration, so I assumed it was her dad.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Anybody have trouble with recording it? I had an SP and noticed at 9:30 that it wasn't recording. It was treating it like it was a repeat or something. I recorded the 11 PM showing and set the SP to first run and repeats.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Anybody have trouble with recording it? I had an SP and noticed at 9:30 that it wasn't recording. It was treating it like it was a repeat or something. I recorded the 11 PM showing and set the SP to first run and repeats.
My SP was set for new only and recorded.
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
We got little bits and pieces. Hopefully, they'll keep giving out bits and pieces as they come up, instead of just info dumps.
The official web site has a timeline and the Wikipedia page also has a fairly in depth background.

Quote:
The first time I heard it was in the bar, which was maybe halfway through. And it was staged as a pretty big reveal, so I suspect I didn't miss anything earlier, but I could be wrong...
I believe he used the word 'war orphan', implying her parents died in the war. Plus she mentioned he did something she could not: kill her parents.

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuur View Post
I believe he used the word 'war orphan', implying her parents died in the war. Plus she mentioned he did something she could not: kill her parents.
But again, that was quite late in the show.

At the beginning, there was a definite boyfriend-girlfriend-fight vibe (and I think it was deliberate misdirection). Amplified by their singing a song about a married couple having a fight.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

more explanation and back story of the invasion, terraforming, and how, what, and why current power structures exist would have made the story unfold much more smoothly and sensibly.

without these, it seemed like bits and pieces of other dramas and sci-fi series mis-matched and thrown together. i like plot twists, but there has to be a little history or a starting point for me to become invested with the story and the characters. none of this made its way into the 2 hour pilot? please no flash backs - another series with flash backs will make me yell at the tv.

if i had wanted to read about it online or play the video game, i could have done that without the tv series.

the doctor made me laugh ("good human")!

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
more explanation and back story of the invasion, terraforming, and how, what, and why current power structures exist would have made the story unfold much more smoothly and sensibly.
I felt just the opposite...that endless digressions into those kinds of things (which are not significant for the events before us) would have made the story unfold much less smoothly.

I think it's good that they're just throwing us into a fairly involving story with fairly involving characters, and just letting the backstory emerge as needed. The starting point is two interesting people in a Jeep. We got enough of the history to explain what we need to know for these events, and the fact that they haven't given us the kind of massive info-dump that you seem to want gives me confidence that they will continue to let information come out organically without needing to resort to flashbacks, lectures, etc.

And yeah, I'm curious how all this came to be. But they've set it up so the backstory can be backstory, without dragging down the, er, frontstory. Which gives me hope that it will find a broader audience.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Ment

Suppose they could do a SW subtitle thing to open up for those who want the whole back story in the pilot episode. I'm with Rob that the normal flow of storytelling will get the previous history of the Defiance world and for those who are in the game-world via cut-scene.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i was hoping for a little more, not an in depth documentary. agreed that watching it unfold is entertaining - but it helps to follow the interactions, motives, and reactions when there's a little back story.

i'm sure the script writers knew the back story when they started - or then again, maybe that's hoping for a little too much...

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 04-16-2013 at 02:19 PM.
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i was hoping for a little more, not an in depth documentary. agreed that watching it unfold is entertaining - but it helps to follow the interactions, motives, and reactions when there's a little back story.

i'm sure the script writers knew the back story when they started - or then again, maybe that's hoping for a little too much...
The backstory is known and is used in the game I think, plus it's all over internet sites as well...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
The backstory is known and is used in the game I think, plus it's all over internet sites as well...
Uhh... it's known if you've heard about it online or somewhere else. If you haven't... well, you went into it cold watching the ep last night.

As for the game, I don't care and don't have the time for it.

As I mentioned before, I only heard about the background online somewhere before. I knew nothing about any of the races going into the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
No problem recording it, but I didn't set an SP. I just had my TiVo record the 1st airing I spotted.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
As I mentioned before, I only heard about the background online somewhere before. I knew nothing about any of the races going into the show.
I knew there was a game, and that was all I knew.

I had no problem following the story with the information the show gave me. I am confident it will continue to give me the necessary information as the story progresses.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

^^^
The background I'd heard is about 1/2 of what's in the background section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defianc...%29#Background.

I haven't really had the motivation yet to read the stuff on each of the races... Got other things on my plate.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #20
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
But again, that was quite late in the show.

At the beginning, there was a definite boyfriend-girlfriend-fight vibe (and I think it was deliberate misdirection). Amplified by their singing a song about a married couple having a fight.
In her voice over at the beginning, as they're just driving along, she's talking about how Nolan (just "Nolan" at that point) disappoints her all the time. Then she says, "I love my father. But his promises usually turn to Shtako."
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
In her voice over at the beginning, as they're just driving along, she's talking about how Nolan (just "Nolan" at that point) disappoints her all the time. Then she says, "I love my father. But his promises usually turn to Shtako."
At the time, I thought the voice-over was somebody looking back from the future. As the scene progressed, I assumed it was their daughter speaking.

(And by the way, once you know the relationship, doesn't that song become creepy?)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

There's probably a few practical reasons why we didn't get those details: Providing them would have required additional CGI effects that weren't in the budget, hiring actors to play roles they're not prepared to cast yet or confusing the user with too big of a story that might scare them off from watching he pilot to the end.

The way the pilot was structured, it could very well have been a made for TV, 2 hour movie (apart from the diner scene at the end, which could have easily been left off, had this not made it to a series). By not providing too much background right away, you're also leaving flexibility to fine tune the story based on the reactions to the pilot.

Of course, considering the significant video game tie-in for the show, there's probably less flexibility and less chance it was never going to make it to a full series than your average SyFy production.

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #23
Timbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
At the time, I thought the voice-over was somebody looking back from the future. As the scene progressed, I assumed it was their daughter speaking.

(And by the way, once you know the relationship, doesn't that song become creepy?)
I heard that as coming from Irisa also. The song didn't sound creepy to me, but it's one of my favorite songs and I was just happy to hear it. I did wonder how many father/daughters would be driving down the road singing at all though.

I hadn't heard of the game before but also had no problems following the story. As I was reading this thread I googled Defiance and was surprised to see such a filled out wiki page and had wondered where the description of all the aliens came from.

-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #24
astrohip
Stuart F

In general, I liked this. As much as I like SciFi, I'm not a huge fan of most TV shows of that genre. Not because of the genre, but the implementation. They just aren't done well. They often come across as cheesy and cliche-ridden. I thought this struck a good balance. I'd give it a very solid B+.

It had a slight Firefly tinge to it, being a future set Western. Just slightly.

I became worried for a minute when the alien leads' kids did their teenage angst scenes. This was a huge part of what killed Terra Nova (IMHO). Unless you're 14 years old (and maybe not even then), no one wants to watch teenagers acting like TV-written teenagers. Had it gone down that path, I doubt I'd stick around. Fortunately, at this point in time, it's not a significant part of the plot. Writers beware: Should you spend much story time on this, and not write it intelligently...

I did read the wiki entries, after the fact. I agree with most of you in that it wasn't needed to follow, or enjoy, the pilot. I did find it useful, in a fill in the details kinda way.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
voripteth
User Advocate

I was quite pleased and impressed with the production values of this series. SyFy isn't known for producing the highest quality series but this one shows promise. Hopefully the series will merit multiple seasons.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
AeneaGames

Quote:
Uhh... it's known if you've heard about it online or somewhere else. If you haven't... well, you went into it cold watching the ep last night.
Yup, but I was replying to someone who wondered if the script writers even know the backstory so I said that the backstory is out there already and does not have to be created on the go...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
jehma

I fell asleep twice watching it (exhausted, not bored ), so maybe I missed something, but did they explain the presence of all the different types of aliens? I thought only one type of alien arrived in the ships, and somehow the planet was terraformed.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
rorrim
Runs with Scissors

There were multiple types of aliens that arrived in the arks, all from the same star system that was destroyed.

The terraforming was only lightly described so I'm not sure how that happened.
rorrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #29
jehma

Thanks.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #30
robbhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorrim View Post
There were multiple types of aliens that arrived in the arks, all from the same star system that was destroyed.

The terraforming was only lightly described so I'm not sure how that happened.
another show on syfy called "face off" had an episode where they had to create cross-bred aliens from defiance, and they described a little about each of the alien species. after catching up on this show the other night i went to the wiki to read more, regarding the terraforming:

Spoiler:
from the wiki:

While the Votans had intended to use their terraforming technology in a carefully planned manner, the Arkfall haphazardly unleashed chaotic and radical changes to the biosphere and even the geology of Earth, making the planet dangerous to both humans and the aliens. The earth was scorched, chasms opened in the ground, new mountain ranges were raised, and the surface of the planet was covered with dust and debris.

Animal and plant species from the Votan star system were introduced to Earth, and both native and alien animal species were horribly mutated by the uncontrolled terraformer technology, creating bizarre and dangerous hybrids and new species.

robbhimself is offline   Reply With Quote