TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
nrnoble

What's TCM business\profit model?

How does Turn Classic Movie make money? They don't run ads other than to promote DVD sales. I just can't see DVD sales from old movies supporting a high quality channel like TCM. Each year TCM shows 1000s classics that have been cleaned up, which surely is costly for each film.

I've read they do make a little bit of money per cable subscriber, but that can't be much given that there are 100s of channels that also get $$$ per subscriber.

TCM is a premium movie channel for classic movies, except viewers don't have to pay extra like they do for HBO, Starz, Showtime.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Do they show a lot of public domain stuff?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
priv

They collect about $0.26/subscriber, on par with Discovery and A&E.

Except for Robert Osbourne et al interstitials, there is rarely original programming. Films are in corporate ownership and have minimal or no actor residuals.

A good way to monetize their library.

http://allthingsd.com/20100308/hate-...he-reason-why/
Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Joe3

You may want to check this thread out for more information on TCM. It gives a bigger picture of what's going on and what they are doing.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1152849/tu...#post_23241666

Last edited by Joe3 : 04-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The subscriber fee is plenty on which to make money.

You may be too young to remember this, but there was a time when many "basic cable" channels ran without ads, or with a much lighter ad load than now. I even remember when MTV would air whole concerts without interruption. But it didn't last long, once all these stations -- that were already profitable off subscriber fees alone -- realized that they could insert just as many ads as the broadcast stations (or even more), and get away with it.

In TCM's case, they appear to have made the judgment that they gain more in viewership from being "uncut and commercial free" than they'd make in ad sales.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The subscriber fee is plenty on which to make money.

You may be too young to remember this, but there was a time when many "basic cable" channels ran without ads, or with a much lighter ad load than now. I even remember when MTV would air whole concerts without interruption. But it didn't last long, once all these stations -- that were already profitable off subscriber fees alone -- realized that they could insert just as many ads as the broadcast stations (or even more), and get away with it.

In TCM's case, they appear to have made the judgment that they gain more in viewership from being "uncut and commercial free" than they'd make in ad sales.
Just seem highly unusual that they have been able to maintain this business model, but for whatever reason I am glad because I watch TCM frequently becauseof the lack of commercials.

I do remember the early days of cable, I even still have an unused TVRO dish in the back yard. I remember when HBO only had night time programming, Scifi channel, TVland, and AMC were all commercial free. AMC was a long time favorite until they introduced ads and more-or-less overhauled their entire format.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
ffitzgerald39

TCM Business Model

One other major plus with TCM is that at least with Comcast in our area (Chicago) it is not copy protected and can be transferred the same as local broadcast stations. They also show remastered copies of films sometimes better quality than HBO for the same film. A recent example is "Carousel"
HBO 480i on one of their SD channels with major top and bottom black boarders. 2950 MB
TCM 1080i on their HD channel with full picture. 8413MB
ffitzgerald39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
cannonz

AMC used to commercial free too didn't it?
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Series3Sub

TCM is on many of the lowest or basic packages. This means many more subscribers per MVPD. Now, multiply that by all the MVPD's out there, including smaller cable cos we may have never heard of. Now, consider there TCM has extremely low costs by leveraging their own library for content. Even if TCM buys rights to other movies to show on its channel, it is still laughably low compared to other channels that have expensive original programming along with, more expensive licensed programs (older show either still on or no longer on broadcast TV). Paying someone to be an on air TD who really babysits automation for a whole suite of channels are part of the same corporate family as TCM. This is why there are so many "crap" channels out there like The Hub, almost all the kiddie channels, almost all the Viacom channels and you begin to see the gold mine these media companies have with very little expense.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
AMC used to commercial free too didn't it?
Yes, a really long time ago. Also, Sundance used to be commercial free, as well. IFC, if I am correct, only airs commercials between the content.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote